what is your polini evo 2 setup?

david14a05

HI i have a polini evolution 2 cylinder.
i am having problems getting it run right, here are the problems;

1. has flat spots when reving.
2.doesnt seem to have much power.
3.not too sure what oil mixture to use. using 40:1 at the minute just to be safe.
4. it seems to run better when my mixture screw is as far out as it can posibly go.

Here is a list or parts i have put onto it and stuff that i have modified.
1.evo 2 cylinder (squish 0.53) 97 octain fuel.
2.doppler crank.
3.new bearings and seals..
4.super speed variator 9 roler (polini).
5.blue polini clutch springs.
6.doppler reed valve.
7.stage 6 manifold.
8.delorto phbg 21mm carb size 72 main jet. when i up jet it the bike gets worse.
9.yasuni c30 exhaust8).
10.athena cdi unlimited rev.
11.i have advanced timing 14mm along flywheel rim.
12.stage 6 subframe.
13.stage 6 airfilter filter.

When i rev it its doesnt seem very powerful and takes its time to get to 30mph. when i go down a hill i can feel the powerband wanting to take off and screem the b*l*ocks off my bike.

i have been working on my bike for 6 weeks now and i have a masive head ache off trying different things. i have almost ran out off hope. what keeps me going is wanting to be a great tuner like you guys. i have learnt so many things so far and want to continue.

if any one has a polini evo 2 with a 21 mm carb please let me know your jet size and all the other things yous have done to the bike to get it working also what spark plug would i need since i have a tiny missfire. i am using standard NGK BR8HS short thread.

also my bike is a 2007 aerox minarelli liquid cooled.

please help. i just want to go fast. any tips on new parts such as ignition and were to buy them from?9||6

i want my bike to be like this:

Advertisement - register to remove this

Well here goes:

I am not a tuner. Yet!

I built my evo 2 from scratch not knowing a damn thing about scooter performance.

I have Polini EVO2, rhq 12mm crank, dellorto 21mm DS Racing carb, Malossi Overange, Mhr clutch springs for the Malossi Delta Clutch, torsion controller, 13/44 Malossi gears, vforce 3 reedcage, kn shorty filter, Stock ignition just a few ticks toward advance, 98 main jet that needs to drop a bit i.e. 95, 94, 48 idle jet that needs to drop to 45 or so(fouling plugs), Rollers are too heavy, but not by too much a couple tenths of a gram.

I finished it 1 year, 6 months and seven days after receiving my parts @ 1am and it started on the first kick. Sweet!

So now I'm in the adjustment phase and still learning. Jets and Rollers are the culprits.

That all being said your lack of power, could it be related to carburation? heavy jets, light jets, you said it got worse when you upjet but how does it get worse? Too much gas? Too little gas? Have you looked at the plug? Are your rollers super heavy?

Been reading about rollers alot and the perfect roller is suppose to get the motor to the peak power band quickly and keep it there though top end until the bike will give no more. Heavy rollers will cause the tranny to shift up and down, never stable maybe until the higher range.

Light rollers will make the bike scream before shifting up (in a bad way). I know I prolly don't need to tell you these things but just to consider.

The plug Polini recommends for my Minarelli kit was a Champion C53, but the nipple on the center electrode was non-removable so it wouldn't fit my stock coil wire boot. I run the NGK B11EGV Long thread plug instead cuz you can narrow down the tip to the small threaded tip.

did you pressure test for leaks?

I run 36:1 right now premix. However Tiba_Karotsu (forum member) Suggested that I run 25:1, he seems very knowledgable. seems heavy to me but I haven't tried it yet. No offense Tiba, I just can't stand all that smoke (fills the garage, hehe).

Well enough for now, good luck on the tuning. Let us know how you come out.
picture.php

http://forum.scooterforum.net/forum/album.php?albumid=296 for more pics that I continually update.

check out this pic and the caption has a bit of helpful info and "Thanks you's" to those who helped me out: http://forum.scooterforum.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=296&pictureid=2877

Last edited:
I cant thank you enough for such a detailed response!
I am going to try all my jets this weekend and see which one will get the plug a nice chocolate colour. also i will some how figure out how to upload photos onto here since i am new to forums. all that goes through my head is my scooter i love it to pieces and seing your scooter and all of these amazing projects just makes me wish i could get it right like yous!

my egnition might need fiddling about with as it is about 10mm advance.
in future i wish to get a new one maybe but not just yet im not at that stage.

i bought the bike brand new 2 years ago and got caught drink driving and driving whilst disqualifyed. i used to clean the bike every month or so because i missed it now i have my licence back i respect it unreal amounts. the noise they make, the exitment of when you change something and it work i just love it.

if i get stuck is it ok if i pest you for help. Thanks

i will post how it went after next saturday.

I cant thank you enough for such a detailed response!
I am going to try all my jets this weekend and see which one will get the plug a nice chocolate colour. also i will some how figure out how to upload photos onto here since i am new to forums. all that goes through my head is my scooter i love it to pieces and seing your scooter and all of these amazing projects just makes me wish i could get it right like yous!

my egnition might need fiddling about with as it is about 10mm advance.
in future i wish to get a new one maybe but not just yet im not at that stage.

i bought the bike brand new 2 years ago and got caught drink driving and driving whilst disqualifyed. i used to clean the bike every month or so because i missed it now i have my licence back i respect it unreal amounts. the noise they make, the exitment of when you change something and it work i just love it.

if i get stuck is it ok if i pest you for help. Thanks

i will post how it went after next saturday.

I know how you feel about always thinking about the scooter. Sometimes I go to bed at night, where I can't seem to fall asleep for maybe an hour because my head is spinning with thoughts like "What if I change this or that"? or "What would happen if I..."? It's an adventure learning about these motors to say the least. Good luck.... keep reading!

Posting pics is simple. Let me know where you're stuck in the process. You need to go to "User CP" at the top left of the page. That takes you to your "control panel" where you can set up profile, upload pics to your "albums", set preferences, and more user specific controls. Check it out!

Thank you i will update info about when i try all my jets this week end coming up.

alright guys, search endless hours on the web for help with regards to the polini evolution engine. I have a 09 piaggio nrg, have recently fitted the evolution 2 cylinder kit, evolution exhaust, evolution crank, evolution variator, evolution filter and 21mm carb fitted. i also have an athena CDI on the bike.

my problem basically is as follows, i start the bike up and it runs fine but when you accelerate the engine responds fine however the back wheel doesn't move until 10,000 odd revs - im no expert at this what so ever and i'm looking for some help with what i need to do next. the bike currently has a standard untouched clutch, im assuming i need to get the evolution clutch? and polini belt? now if i get the polini clutch do i need the clutch bell or is that not essential? also the clutch comes with two sets of springs, are they enough or do i need to purchase more? i also have the 9roller evolution variator which came with red and pink rollers - i looked on the site were i ordered everything from and theres 10 different sets of rollers for that kit all at £9.40 a set, do i need to purchase all 10? i dont have the polini evolution ignition and can't afford to get it does this matter? im basically looking for any help possible because it's cost me a fortune in parts and labour and has been of the road for months and it's a 09 plate bike. I read in this thread post regarding turning the flywheel and that does anyone know what thats all about? also i was told i wont need gear up kits, is that correct?

thanks for your help

my problem basically is as follows, i start the bike up and it runs fine but when you accelerate the engine responds fine however the back wheel doesn't move until 10,000 odd revs

im having this problem at the moment, im going with its the slow jet and im ordering a bunch right now too find out ill let you know if it works for me if you havnt tried that already

if the engine doesnt move till 10000 rpms your clutch springs are too strong or something is holding your clutch from opening up to engage

Thank you i will update info about when i try all my jets this week end coming up.
hi david i got the same problem with my gilera dna i've been change the bore kit is same like yours evo2 upgrade the exhaust pipe is a yasuni c30 witch it cost me 355£ and many more.....i spend 2000£ on race parts till now....so.....my parts are similar like yours and still not working proper....the take off is realy owefull realy bad but when is going in to the 2nd gear jesus you got to hold the rail bars realy bad cause it let you behind....anyway i ve spoke with the guys witch i brought the exhaust pipe from so finally they told me that the reason off my byke take off is going bad is from the spark plug.i use a wrong one i shoud use a b10eg with this cilinder kit....so far i can't tell you if that wass the prob,because i've ordered these days from ebay and i got to have it these days....so after i will fit it on i will let you know brother cause belive me scooter is my live and i know how u fell....so....hopefully i will give you a good nottice these days...talk to you latter brov....oohh by the way excuse my poor english i'm romanian:-)

You beat me to it.8)
but roxx and siba,what can be the probs....please guys help me with that.......i forgot to say that my scooter wass taking off realy fast before to change my standard exhaust with the carrera c30,but still wasn't run proper i mean wass having a STRONG ACCELERATION and an unbeliveble take off but wasn't changing in to the 2nd gear.....so after i fit that c30 exhaust....disaster.....my acceleration wass realy realy poor.......now is changing in to the 2nd one but take off is owefull....can be from exhaust....i should use a polini exhaust...or what it can be done cause i'm hopeless.....thank's a loot guys...

iv also been having problems setting my evo 2 up but i put in just 3 5.7 rollers and its pulling really hard at any speed now :winner: although i dont know how bad having 3 rollers in is lol

iv also been having problems setting my evo 2 up but i put in just 3 5.7 rollers and its pulling really hard at any speed now :winner: although i dont know how bad having 3 rollers in is lol
The only downside I could think of is that the rollers might wear a little faster having only three doing the work of six or nine.

we use this method of taking out some rollers if you don't have ones lighter than than what you got now, running 3, 4, 5 rollers is ok for testing purposes only until you can get into the ballpark range, after that buy the correct set of rollers that will get you into that range.

HI i have a polini evolution 2 cylinder.
i am having problems getting it run right, here are the problems;

When i rev it its doesnt seem very powerful and takes its time to get to 30mph. when i go down a hill i can feel the powerband wanting to take off and screem the b*l*ocks off my bike.

( Try lighter roller weights or shimming your outer variator half out .5 to 1.0 mm. (Maybe both). Then imediatley adjust jetting to get nice brown color. You may also have to richen the needle.)

I didn't read the whole post before I responded, good advice Tiba.

Hi David,
Double check the plug recommended for the evo kit for the minarelli engines.

We see this all the time in our shop when people fit 70cc polini sport kits for aerox- if you leave the short reach plug in instead of switching to the polini recommended long reach plug you see major loss in power (down from approx 9.5hp to 8hp) due to the lost compression of the smaller volume spark plug.

I don't know about the evo kit for minarelli off the top of my head but i would be surprised if it is designed to run with the standard aerox short reach plug which you say you've left in !

Cheers,
Andy

Hi David,
Double check the plug recommended for the evo kit for the minarelli engines.

We see this all the time in our shop when people fit 70cc polini sport kits for aerox- if you leave the short reach plug in instead of switching to the polini recommended long reach plug you see major loss in power (down from approx 9.5hp to 8hp) due to the lost compression of the smaller volume spark plug.

I don't know about the evo kit for minarelli off the top of my head but i would be surprised if it is designed to run with the standard aerox short reach plug which you say you've left in !

Cheers,
Andy
my bike is working realy good now just need a polini 2 g clutch, belt and gear up kit. i am using ngk iridium plug.

my only problem is over heating,

does any one know the part number for the ssp 40% more flow water pump.

thank you for all your replys.

and thank you for all your help tiba for feeding me good information which lead to my bike running realy well.
*D

Back