I need some help guys...

maximapitko

The bulgarian guy...
I don't know if this is Off Topic so I am sorry in advance if it is. Aparantly it's close to impossible to find sites with good scooter performance info. Money and technical skills I have but unfortunately scooter knowledge I don't hence the reason I am here. I imagine that your site is full with interesting info but I can't understand 99% of it. Does anybody know of a good site in english similar to this one? I want to learn how to set a carb correcly, what jets to use and when?What pipe will give me best gains. What is a variator and how it works as well as ways to improve it. Pretty much everything! Thank you in advance and sorry once again for the newb questions :)

Advertisement - register to remove this

The posibilities are endless !
If you want initial general advice. Perhaps you should tell us what machine you have and what's the intended use.
Your country too. For parts availability and legal concerns...

Juan

well, I don't know if I should be ashamed but I have a 2005 Primo Seville. I got it for free so I couldn't resist plus it looks pretty damn good. Originaly I am from eastern europe but have been in the states since 99. I was told that my scooter has the same engine like the yamahas but I am not so sure. The max speed after the brake-in period that I've done is 46mph. It's a 49cc btw. It runs pretty good but there is something in perticular that bugs the crap out of me. Around 32mph it kind of bogs down for a while until it reaches 35mph when it starts to pull hard again. At 46mph it runs out of breath. I guess the first mod that I would like to try is a new carb. Now, do I need a 22,24,26mm or whatever. After I get it how do I know if the jets are the best for my needs/performance. How do I set those up? Actually I tried a K&N style filter and the result was really bad-the bogging down got even worse around 30mph and the top speed dropped a little. I didn't have any velocity stacks or anything though plus the filter was shapped like a cylinder and not like a cone(for some reason I have the feeling that this matters). Besides this "mod" the only other thing that I've done to it is strip it down and repaint it in a killer blue :) Another thing I would really like to do is convert my rear brake from drum to disk. I am sorry for all these newb questions but you guys don't really have a sticky explaining what parts do what. I hope that this tread may become one in the future. These are some questions for a start:

1. Two stroke engine exhaust pipe-how does it work and why the funny shape? Silencers and their pros and cons?Different types and their differences?
2. Engine kits-70cc,100cc.....
3. Carburators-different sizes?Adjustments?Jets-kinds and when to use?
4. Drivetrain-belts,clutches,variators-everything about them...
5. Whatever I am missing goes in here.

As a member of many online forums I am really pleased to see how this one looks. However, I can feel that it's still in a very early stage of development. With some stickies like the ones above, it will help new people understand the scooter mania and get more involved because honestly guys, when I go through your topics I have no clue what you're talking about 80% of the time and as you probably know there is not a lot of information out there. Well, that's all I have to say. I hope I didn't put all to sleep and that togather we'll biuld the BEST scooter site on the net...

Hi
At the risk of sounding snub. This is not a newbee forum. In fact the tuners that frequent this forum are "la creme de la creme". I'm not even sure that I belong here. At 74 mph my scooter is possibly the slowest in the forum.
That would explain why you don't understand most of the posts. And why you won't find any post asking questions like how does a variator works.
That been said. Don't feel bad. We all started as newbees. So let me give you a first push...
Yes . Your scoot is a Minarelli horizontal. Which means that the selection of performance parts for it is huge !
When you build a performance motor. You do it around the cylinder. And in performance scooters we are talking 70cc. It is useles to buy performance parts for a 50cc if you are going to end up with a 70cc. For example. If I wanted to improve the performance of your 50cc... No. I would not get a bigger carb. I would get a performance pipe instead. The problem is that a performance pipe that would be great for the 50cc, would be terrible on a 70cc. Same goes for the carb and most other parts. So first select your cylinder.
In the states. The easiest performance cylinders to get are Airsal and Malossi.
Airsal is very cheap and very decent. Malossy is very expensive but among the very best. Some wouldl say the best. Poliny, Metrakit and other excellent brands are more difficult to find in the states.
Check out this sites for some basic and not so basic introductions into two-stroke tuning

Specific to the Minarelli:
http://www.taffspeed.co.uk/page57.html

General two stroke tuning :
http://www.ericgorr.com/twostktech/twostroketech.html

BTW. Nothing to be ashamed about a Primo Sevilla. It's what you do about it that counts,

yeah, I noticed that most of the people here are pretty good but this only means good news. Why don't some of them start writing articles regarding the posted questions that the mods can move to the stickies. It wouldn't take much and it will be really helpful to the newbs like me :)

Anyways, what would you suggest I do first. I kind of realized that most of the scooter mods work closely togather. From your post I am thinking that the best way to start spending money is to buy a 70cc kit. My mind is pretty much set, so here comes my next question-what will compliment it best but will also be friendly with the future mod additions-a carb or a pipe? Thanks!

The problem is that you cant really upgrade in stages and stuff needs to be match or else it migth not run right or at best performance isnt as high as it could be. When you buy a nice 70cc cylinder, you'll need a pipe, carb, and at least new springs to make it run right. Then you'll want a new clutch, vario, and crank depending on how much you want to spend and how fast you want to go. Then its gears, overrange, ignition. You really need to decide how much money you are willing to drop into this becuase, nothing is more expensive then buying parts then 3 months down the road wanting to upgrade bc its too slow or something. Do it right the 1st time.

A solid start would be:
Polini EVO II 70cc Cylinder
Keihin flatside 28mm carb
Metrakit Pro Race crank
Malossi Overrange
Malossi 13/44 gears
Yasuni C21 pipe
and then maybe a polini ignition to round it all off.

maximapitko said:
yeah, I noticed that most of the people here are pretty good but this only means good news. Why don't some of them start writing articles regarding the posted questions that the mods can move to the stickies. It wouldn't take much and it will be really helpful to the newbs like me :)

Anyways, what would you suggest I do first. I kind of realized that most of the scooter mods work closely togather. From your post I am thinking that the best way to start spending money is to buy a 70cc kit. My mind is pretty much set, so here comes my next question-what will compliment it best but will also be friendly with the future mod additions-a carb or a pipe? Thanks!

str8dum said:
A solid start would be:
Metrakit Pro Race crank
Malossi Overrange
Malossi 13/44 gears
Yasuni C21 pipe

very nice reply...I better start shopping...I'll keep you guys posted!

Originally Posted by str8dum

A solid start would be:
Metrakit Pro Race crank
Malossi Overrange
Malossi 13/44 gears
Yasuni C21 pipe

Maximapitko,
This is all really quality stuff, but in my opinion, it's not a good fit for your scooter. I am familiar with the Seville (it's like the Vento Zip r3, right?) and it will not handle or brake well with this kind of power. Stick with a "sport" bore kit and pipe.
Also, I do not agree (no offense Str8dum) with the philosophy of buying the best stuff out there for a novice tuner. Setting up a carb for the first time is not always easy, and you would feel pretty bad frying a hi-end cylinder kit. You're better off learning to do this stuff with cheaper items, that way you'll have a good idea on what to spend your big money on later.

scootertrog

A solid start ?
Holy cow str8dum !
That's about as powerful as you can get.
Where do you go from there ?

Maximapitko.
Here is another excellent site. At the bottom of the page you'l find a performance part installation manual with pictures. It is also one of the best and most helpfull places in continental USA to purchase performance parts.

http://www.mhr-usa.com/

two stroke exhaust

two stroke exhausts work in two ways

1. the size of the expansion chamber (the bubble shaped bit on the exhaust) the bigger the better power on the bottom end (set off)

2. the overall length of the pipe is the power at the top end the longer the better :D

can i just ask without upsetting people

why do you tune an rides scooters wats the apeal??(ii dont want ani agry or upsett people replyin ii gernerally want t know lol b'cos as soon as ii am old enough al b riding my aprilia rs 125 :D

two stroke exhausts work in two ways

1. the size of the expansion chamber (the bubble shaped bit on the exhaust) the bigger the better power on the bottom end (set off)

2. the overall length of the pipe is the power at the top end the longer the better :D

what made u post to a thread which is almost 3 years old?lOLXD

Back