Fastest Speed by Scooter 70

That's a bit weird english, but if I understand, what you are saying is: with too strong clutch spring, the variator is already working, before the clutch has (fully) engaged, which would mean a drop in RPM.

So in that situation, you would need a very heavy contra spring or superlight rollers, which would take the RPM above powerband levels after the clutch has fully engaged.
What I was trying to say is that if the clutch springs (the usually three) are too strong, then the vario will go in extension to increase the ratio, this way the clutch will be spin up enough to engage. As a conseguence of this the clutch can't be made to engage at higher rpm (of engine) than at which the vario is set to work. The only thing to do is to mount softer clutch springs. Just try to mount an malossi delta clutch with black springs on a stock motor, then watch wit the cover open what happens.

Since I'm probably wrong , where do I go wrong?
I think you are thinking the wrong way (no offense).:)
What Joel and I are trying to say, is that on two equal engines but different gearbox ratio, while their variators are in "working range", they will accelerate with equal acceleration. What happens if the engines are in different states (like if one has the range of the vario ended) is a matter of setups and many other factors.

The bycicle thing is a different thing. The bycicler can't start without help becouse he needs some speed to stay in equilibrium (to not fall with the bike). And then there is the human factor; muscles cant create enough force to to accelerate fast enough to not fall from the bike. But with an minimum ammount of force and no drag forces you can accelerate to the nearly speed of light. Like the space probes with ionic motors; the motors produce only a few N of thrust, but they work non-stop for some years, and push the probes to great speeds.

I do think it's possible. You give the answer yourself: you need to let the clutch slip alot. While this consumes (lot's of) energy, you would be able to match the acceleration. Only you will have to change the clutch plates more often than with shorter gear.
Well, energy is what makes the bike accelerate. If you loose some energy in clutch warming, then that energy wasn't used for the bike acceleration.

Folkert@MinaRally said:
very easily. VERY.

It's how many times your clutchbell needs to go round, to let the rear wheel make 1 revolution.

So when we say a reduction factor of 12, means that the transmission (and thus the clutchbell) needs to go round 12 times, before it has let the rear wheel make 1 full revolution.

So you can image, how higher that number, the more that engine needs to spin, to mae the wheel go round which equals = shorter gearing.

Oki thanks...that was how i thought it was too ,
But how do you "know" what the final ratio will be , by using the Gearing numbers 1:2.35 .....instead of mouthing them and turn the gering and count?

Mvh M

Aerox-Evo70 said:
2.35 must be the ratio of only the primary or the secundary, if you multiply it with the other one, you get your final ratio.

Oki thanks.

So if i got this right:
My standard gearing for my Roxx was 1:4.00 (13/52) and 1:3.07 (14/43),
this will give me a gear ratio of 4.00 x 3.07 = 12.28
(12.28 turns of the bell to get one turn of the rear wheel)

And my new Gearing will then give me:
1:3.38 (13/44) and 1:2.56 (16/41) = 3.38.. x 2.56.. = 8.67

Ps. I just saw your calc. (on page2) now Aerox-Evo70, thanks for your help out here.
Things went much clearer now :)

Mvh M

Last edited:
Aerox-Evo70 said:
and the calculation:

(biggest primary/smallest primary) x (biggest secundary/smallest secundary)

for you:

(44/13) x (41/16) = 8,67

i think this is the longest gearing available on minarelli, with the proper amount of hp's and rpm you will have a very high topspeed...

Yezz i think ill be needing that one to "hold the front down",
when im using my Nitous system.

On the other thought.. the cluch might burn up to......

Mvh M

Aerox-Evo70 said:
indeed, i think its not possible to use your nos like 7 seconds, and not before reaching like 40mph.

Yeah i agree...but im going for the full 402m race, to compare my time with the cars here.Hope to "crack" some of them ;)
The cars set there gearing to max out at 2/3 of the track...rest is just transport time.....
So i will try to set mine as they do it , but my gearing is to short for that now.
So that why im aiming for this gear setup.

Perhaps ill drive some 201m to, but then ill change my gearing back to just +16%

I have used Nitrous before ,so i do understand why i cant use it at the startline.

Its most likley to be set as an 2 stage kit...fist a low then full.
But as you say ...not from the startpoint.

Mvh M

roost said:
What I was trying to say is that if the clutch springs (the usually three) are too strong, then the vario will go in extension to increase the ratio, this way the clutch will be spin up enough to engage. As a conseguence of this the clutch can't be made to engage at higher rpm (of engine) than at which the vario is set to work. The only thing to do is to mount softer clutch springs. Just try to mount an malossi delta clutch with black springs on a stock motor, then watch wit the cover open what happens.

Ok so what I said you was saying, you was indeed already saying, but with difficult words: Too strong clutch springs: variator starts working, before clutch has (fully) engaged

I think you are thinking the wrong way (no offense).:)
What Joel and I are trying to say, is that on two equal engines but different gearbox ratio, while their variators are in "working range", they will accelerate with equal acceleration. What happens if the engines are in different states (like if one has the range of the vario ended) is a matter of setups and many other factors.

Non taken. I just think you and Joël talk about some technical ideal situation, where 2 scooters have certain "measurments in the ideal setting" while maybe I'm talking about street performance, where one scooter (with lower gearing) will be faster to -for example- 50 km/h or first to cover 200 meters.

The bycicle thing is a different thing. The bycicler can't start without help becouse he needs some speed to stay in equilibrium (to not fall with the bike). And then there is the human factor; muscles cant create enough force to to accelerate fast enough to not fall from the bike. But with an minimum ammount of force and no drag forces you can accelerate to the nearly speed of light. Like the space probes with ionic motors; the motors produce only a few N of thrust, but they work non-stop for some years, and push the probes to great speeds.

Okay, but now forget about the rider and hypthetical say it's a robot and he won't fall off @ 0 km/h. And this robot has a given amount of power that he can transfer through the peddles continuously.
With a tall gearing, like in the Hour Records, this robot would accelerate less fast, than when he was on a bike with a very short gearing (say one used when driving up against a mountain) and of course he would have a much slower top speed, compared to the "Hour Record gearing", but to get to that top speed, it will take longer (the power of the robot is the same all the time at both bikes) since quite simply, the gearing is literally heavier to turn around.
The turning moment (=torque) of the shorter geared one is greater, than on the longer geared one.

Well, energy is what makes the bike accelerate. If you loose some energy in clutch warming, then that energy wasn't used for the bike acceleration.

That's true. Partly. While the clutch consumes energy (tranformed into heat) not ALL energy will be consumed, so there's still energy available to get the quick(er) acceleration.

If you would dump the clutch, there's no (or hardly) any friction between the clutch plates, so no energy loss their.
But this doesn't mean that all the energy is now available for acceleration. The friction in the taller ratio will now consume that energy, even more. So it will suffer in acceleration.

So in these cases with tall (firsts) gears, converting energy through the clutch will have more energy left for acceleration / getting it off the line, as when you would just dump the clutch. The heavy gearing would consume ALOT, it could even consume so much, it will just stall the engine.

Folkert: No, no, no.....
You are lacking knowledge of physics and mecchanics. And also understanding of engine behaviour. Your theories are violating the law of conservation of energies, which is the fundament of all theories in energetics.
However Im not a physics guru and my technical english is poor.

With a tall gearing, like in the Hour Records, this robot would accelerate less fast, than when he was on a bike with a very short gearing (say one used when driving up against a mountain) and of course he would have a much slower top speed, compared to the "Hour Record gearing", but to get to that top speed, it will take longer (the power of the robot is the same all the time at both bikes) since quite simply, the gearing is literally heavier to turn around.
The turning moment (=torque) of the shorter geared one is greater, than on the longer geared one.
This is wrong. With the same power the two bikes will accelerate the same. If the force of push on the pedals of the robots would be pedal rpm dependat then we would have an difference. This means that the power then is not equal.

If the two robots would pedal (with whatsoever gear ratios) the bikes with eg.: 500 Joules of energy for one second (=500W), then the two masses of bikes and robot will aqquire 500Joules of kinetic energy, If the masses are equal then the acceleration will be equal and will both get the same speed.

The difference in friction of two different gear sets is small, very very small, not even detectable on an precise dynamometer. We can easily forget it.

The difference in theory and practice is that in theory, we cant assume all the things that occur in reality, it would need an ubersupercomputer to simulate all. So we take less things in count so we can calculate them. We don't get the precise result, but we get close.
Real life is a simulation that takes in count all the theories. Even the quantum mecchanics ones:)

I have a question related to the amount of energy exerted by the engine in order to produce speed....

Lets say we have an engine which does 13000rpms and puts out 80mph..... If we take that same engine and add weight to the crank.. e.g. heavier fly wheel ... and keeping the same rpm range of 13000rpms.... what will happen to the top speed?

Under the understanding that the additional weight will cause the bike to have a little less acceleartion from start... would the top speed increase due to the momentum gained through the use of a heaver weight on the crank?

So therefore if that is the case and the weight on the crank is used to help a scooter stay at rpm... whats the real performance difference between running a Inner Rotor or an Outer Rotor ignition if they both allow the rpms...

Hawaii 70cc

I built a bike that was back in 1998, Yamaha Jog ZR, that went 105 mph, (168kph) on the dyno, and would reach around 92mph ( 147.5kph) on the road. Now we have bikes even faster, adn more powerful. HAwaii has had the best mix of parts for some years now, from japan, taiwan, and Italy. ON this JOg Zr, i had full Polini evolution, with Daytona Igonition CDI, and stock Flywheel lightend. The bike had enough power to flip me over when i gassed it, and would beat most sportbikes off the line. I have picture and dyno printout to prove it. Down the 1/4 mile it went 16.04 sec with out nitrous. I sold the bike, but kept all the parts and have intented for the past 4 years on putting them on my Benelli 491 SBK.
But seeing how all this message posts got really complicated. to answer teh original question; there are so many bikes 70cc that can reach 140, and with the right tuning maybe more. but on average fastest time i heard of is 15sec 1/4 mile., 153kph, and 22 hp, not all on the same bike, just differnet bikes.

Hard to say really, but i know here in hawaii, there are some really fast 70cc, but yeah the 125 are the fastest, for Honda, and we have a 98 cc water cooled Jog based engine, that goes 95mph, maybe more and still has room to grow.
This thread is interesting, just so long and filled with stuff lose track.
Aloha

MrBenelli said:
I have a question related to the amount of energy exerted by the engine in order to produce speed....

Lets say we have an engine which does 13000rpms and puts out 80mph..... If we take that same engine and add weight to the crank.. e.g. heavier fly wheel ... and keeping the same rpm range of 13000rpms.... what will happen to the top speed?

Under the understanding that the additional weight will cause the bike to have a little less acceleartion from start... would the top speed increase due to the momentum gained through the use of a heaver weight on the crank?

The weight on the crank wont change the top speed. But it will change how the engine climb and loose rpm. However this is not as much sensitible on a scoot, because of the automatic variable transmission.
Internal rotors increase performance mainly becouse such ignitions has an stronger and more stable spark, also becouse of the variable ignition curve.
However the malossi selettra crank weight is mostly needed to "soften" the power delivery on curve exits.

roost said:
The difference in friction of two different gear sets is small, very very small, not even detectable on an precise dynamometer. We can easily forget it.

True, in fact the shorter gearing consumes more energy!

Ok Roost, let's forget about it. I think I just don't understand. At least my mind is contradicting what I read.
Sure you are right, but how the hell can, in that bicycle example, acceleration be the same (with that robot with equal amount of energy put on peddles) when with the tall gearing it takes like (example) 2 full laps to get to top speed and 1 lap for a a bicycle with shorter gearing.
The shorter geared one WILL be faster up to a certain speed and will cover a certain distance faster then the taller geared bicycle. So it's accelerated faster.
Yes, untill he's at his max. and the other one passes by.

And you say, yes, it's true, when we talk about peddle RPM. But the robot is exerting its power on the peddles. So wouldn't this mean peddle RPM?

And I was talking (or at least meaning) peddle RPM. Since it's the peddles movement (RPM) that make the bike go forward.

So if it isn't the acceleration that's faster (up to certain speed/distance) then what other "technical term" is making the one "accelerate" faster than the other?

I'm very curious.

If they put an overall equal energy, but the longer geared bike will take more time to accelerate, then we are not taking about the same power. The robots have not equal power.
This is like the space probes I described before. The ionic engines have very low power. So it takes years to get a high speed. With an huge chemical rocket engine you could get to the same speed in less time, so you have to consume the same ammount of energy in less time = higher power. But the ammount of energy consumed is the same, let alone the engines efficiency.

But on the scoot the power of the engine is always the same, no matter the final gear ratio. So we always have the same ammount of energy in the same time. The friction loses of the transmission are more or less constant (like Joel said short gearings do have a little bit more friction looses). So at the rearwheel it has to be the Engine Power - Transmission friction power consumption.
Then again; on a longer geared scoot the clutch will consume energy for more time than on the short geared. The energy consumed by the clutch is turned into heat instead of being used to increase the kinetic energy of the scooter.

On manualshift engines if you shorten the FINAL gear ratio, it more only looks like the acceleration is increased; you shift gears like crazy, the engine climbs (and looses) rpm faster...
To really increase the acceleration, the DIFFERENCE of internal gear ratios should be decreased. This way you keep the engine at maximum power more time. But your overall gear ratio is decreased so you may end up overrev (lack of gears). Then you have to add more gears.
Some 50cc racers in the 60' had ultra peaky (narrow) powerbands, so to keep the engine in the powerband they had small difference in internal gear ratios, and to not go overrev they had things like 16gears! Shortly they revealed slower! Bcoz shifting gears is a loss of time....

Now immagine the scooter variable transmission as an set of thousands of gears with very small differences in ratio. How will the acceleration be?

The variable transmission is good because:
- it doesn't loose time with shifting
- it keeps the engine at maximum power rpm
On the bad side:
- the belt and pulleys consume lot of power in friction (heat)

Back