Project Simonini Ciao

DiTech pilota

aka Dragster pilota
Ciao Tifosi...

Since I no longer work with Aprilia Scooters (now dealing with larger bikes) I have been forced to put my NOS-DiTech on ice for now, so here I'm sitting with a NOS-Holley kit for small displacement 2-strokers and not sure what to do with it...

A while ago I found the Simonini Ciao race motor on the web and it has been there in the back of my (sometimes dark and cazed) mind and yesterday when I talked to a friend of mine, she told me that the motor on her Ciao had given up totally, I offered to buy the pieces but she did not want anything for it so I said I'll give you €50.- for the pieces and that's it, she said OK....

So now I have a Ciao with a dead motor, a NOS kit and a wicked mind. I got on the phone with a bike & moped parts company and ordered a bunch of odds and ends for the project, I'm also ordering the Simonini Ciao race motor either from a Danish web shop @ €760.- or directly from Simonini, so in a couple of weeks it all starts....

The Ciao will be stripped of all lights and unnecessary weight, the fenders will be bobbed and all of it will be painted DP semigloss black with the rims polished, there will most likely be a bunch of other modifications along the way, thinking of a Rock Shop MTB fork and some other possibilities...

For now this is the stuff that'll go into the project.....

ciao.gif

race_kit.gif

nos.gif

stuff.gif

Simonini race motor with 12hp @ 10.000rpm:
48mm alu cylinder
Long stroke crank
26mm Dellorto
Big Valve reed block
Race CDI
Race clutch
Expansion pipe with carbon fibre silencer

The NOS kit:
Ten ounce nitrous bottle
Electric fuel pump, driven with 9.5 volt battery
Nitrous and fuel solenoids, also driven off the 9.5 volt battery
Fogger2 nozzle
Filters, fittings, tubing, T-fittings, jets, switch, hose and billet brackets

Other stuff:
Amoeba BMX bars
Amoeba BMX stem
Snafu BMX pegs
Piaggio star aloy rims
SBS brake shoes (will be grooved)
Pirelli ML75 tires

I'm really looking forward to geting this project on the road since the NOS DiTech & Scarabeo MHR 125 went out the door when I left the Aprilia dealer and all my Monkey parts including the supercharger was sold off to my painter. Now I just have some updates to do on The Formula then its Simonini Ciao time.....

DP says: You might think I'm totally wacked and YES I sure am.....

Last edited:
Advertisement - register to remove this

:eek: :eek: :eek: `

NOS on a Ciao?
Be sure to pay your life insurrance because this is crazy, original...but crazy!
Why didn't you take the polini speedcarters voor Vespa, Citta, etc...
Whats the difference between the one from polini and the one from simonini?

dna-menno in da house:
NOS on a Ciao?

If it can be done, it MUST be done.....

Isn't the Polini motor liquid cooled?? If I remeber right that's the way and what I have heard the Simonini should be easier to setup and much more driveable than the Polini....

DP says: Life insurance??? I'll be drag racing a Harley this summer so NO ONE will give me life insurance.....

Last edited:
The one from polini is also AC, en i know for sure it doesn't cost that much as the one from simoni.
I know a guy who has the speedcarters on his citta and that thing go's around the 100 km p/h.

And wouldn't it be better if they where LC?
Or is to hard to fix for you?
The results should be more spectaculair with LC but it'll cost you more hours off work, but the result would be :~

BTW. Why always type "(NAME) in tha house:"

Ever heard off the quote button :)

dna-menno in da house:
BTW. Why always type "(NAME) in tha house:"

A small quirk of mine, I have always done that on all forums and BBS i cruise, that and "DP says:" has become a trade mark of mine...

Ok so there's a both a AC & LC motor from Polini and I have been told on a couple of Italian tuning forums that the best High Performance Ciao motors are either Simonini or Zirri but the Zirri is almost twize as expensive as the Simonini...

Sure LC will probably give more power than the AC but I'd like this thing as clean and simple as possible, the LC motor would need a radiator, water pump and a bunch of hoses. I also like that the Simonini (according to a couple of Italian tuners) should be real drivable although it has a crazy 12hp since I like my toys to be used as much as possible....

DP says: Dare to be different......

nice project.

Hopefully the frame will like all this force on it. I already saw some frames disform because of the power so enforcing the frame will be necessary i think.
Over here some guys are tuning a honda camino with a LC engine and they already screwed up 3 frames. One of them even broke :eek:

Simonini >> i'm looking for a good exhaust for my tph125cc project and i narrowed the choice down to simonini and polini exhaust. Do you have experience with simonini in general or is this your first contact with simonini?

Keep on tuning. Nos on a ciao = front wheel in tha air :p

karoshi in da house:
i'm looking for a good exhaust for my tph125cc project and i narrowed the choice down to simonini and polini exhaust

I have had some limited doings with Simonini and it's quite good stuff although not in the same division as Polini & Malossi. I have a friend who has orderd the Simonini cylinder kit for his SR125 (same motor as yours) since it will give a full 180cc but he decided on using the Dig pipe http://dig.interfree.it/ but it's still not fitted so I don't know what it will do...

DP says: The Ciao frame will get some major stiffening done to it...

DiTech pilota on tha forum :p

I've looked @ the dig exhaust and it looks nice but it's out of my budget. I really narrowed it down to simonini / polini exhausts.
Out of your posts on this forum i learned you have quit a good experience in tuning 2 stroke engines.

Can you make something out of the shape of the simonini exhaust?
piaggio_50_580.jpg

I noticed it has a long tailpipe and it has kinda long narrow expansion. The direction of the exhaust is very horizontal i think judging on the points to fix it to the motor...

thanx in advance for your help. Over here there aren't many people with experience on +70cc scooters...

karoshi in da house:
Can you make something out of the shape of the simonini exhaust?

The pipe looks verry similar to the Dig and also the Arrow (for Dragster & Runner 180cc) so I guees it will work quite ok, Simonini is quite large when it comes to MX in Italy and has been working on tune for 2-strokers since the early 80's so I guess they know their stuff...

The Simonini motor has not yet arrived so I can't say for shure what it looks like but I have heard from those who have used both that and the Polini motor and they all say that the parts are verry similar but the Simonini is easier to setup...

DP says: Sometimes you have to gamble, if not you'll never win...

DP? baliw talaga yan!LOL

translation;

DP? he's really insane!

so this is where you hang out very often huh? cool site! it's a shame that my Dutch is much worse than yours.LOL

i can only say one thing:you wanna die!:Xif you touch the nos button youll be sitting on the asphalt and the ciao will be somewhere on the other side of the planet!!!but hey keep flying!!!:D:D:D

tiba in da house:
DP? baliw talaga yan!

You bet!!! Insane in the membrane......

Yepp I hang here every now and then since this IS the place with some of the coolest rides around, I like the Dutch posse's attidtude to tuning and styling with heavily tuned motors, race styled scoot (and bikes) and a non-linear thinking...

Nice to see your Race Jog at Scooterbase but give us some more pix of it and you must post some links to scooter drag racing Pinoy stylee....

Update on the dp race tech Simonini Ciao.

The Ciao has been painted dp race tech satin black and the fenders has been bobbed, the motor should be arriving from Simonini in Italy after easter, there have been som wait for it but now it's in the hands of UPS. The BMX bars and stem has been test fitted and it looks quite cool, in a different way. The rims has been polished with the spokes and brake drums painted gloss black and with the new Pirelli's fitted they look real nice, I have also found a Piaggio borse laterali dedicate Ciao, a black standard accessorie side bag for the Ciao that I will fit the NOS bottle, solenoids, fulepump and battery in so it wount be visible...

The side bag that will be fitted like this one on the left side.....

446246.jpg

DP says: The project is slowly rolling along......

Last edited:
the nos kit is to be placed in that bag? This is really scray...now it looks like some granny has been riding it with the bags...i think its kinda silly but it tastes great!

ElmoRS in da house:
now it looks like some granny has been riding it with the bags

Yepp it's the sealth look that is IN for 2003....

There's another reason to fiting the NOS kit in the side bag, it makes it easy to remove the kit since I will not use in for Radical Riders 6 hour endurance moped-race because gas is not alowed there and that is the primary reasons for building the Ciao. Also as many have pointed out it's almost insane to fit NOS on a Ciao much less on a 12hp Simonini Race Motor I will most likely not drive around with NOS hooked up all the time. Altough since I'm a total speed-freak it will most likely be used on warm summer nights to put some serious scare into scoots and bikes down town Stockholm...

DP says: Sorry guys NO pix untill it's 100% finsihed, as always with my projects....

Last edited:
DP at the insurance company:
Sorry guys NO pix untill it's 100% finsihed, as always with my projects....

Strange habbit, howcanwe judge your 'project' without pics?!

Originally posted by R5 man
DP at the insurance company:
Sorry guys NO pix untill it's 100% finsihed, as always with my projects....

Strange habbit, howcanwe judge tour 'project' without pics?!

Judge when it's finished.

DJ in tha houz :p

Looks very sweet, just like a bond-simonini something :p
Very good idee...

I'm seeing it in front of me. You're standing in front of a dragstrip, and your beeing wasted by a simonini :#

Back