Need small efficient radiator(suggestions?)

del105

I want to only use 1 radiator on my scoot. right now I have a aerox radiator but it is kind off large for my goals. Are there any that people know of that cool as well or better but are smaller? I'd also rather it be used or cheap.

Advertisement - register to remove this

no way. most tuned bikes run hot with a radiator the size of the aerox's so people use 2. so you'll need at least that much cooling surface.

you can get curved kart radiators that might fit better behond the front wheel.

no way. most tuned bikes run hot with a radiator the size of the aerox's so people use 2. so you'll need at least that much cooling surface.

you can get curved kart radiators that might fit better behond the front wheel.

I've tried to fit a rotax radiator which is the smallest kart rad I can thing of and it's too big. I guess i'm going to give up trying to mount behind the front wheel.

Dirt bike like a ktm65

Try looking at dirt bikes like a ktm65 they are small and cool fast and then use a 12v fan to keep cool run water wetter and 50/50 mix for 30* off the heat. Most of the dirt bike radiators can do huge amounts of water and cool a lot of HP in a very small space. Our KTM 65 radiator is 6" x 13" and can cool a mod 85 motor with no issue. Hope this helps.

i have a cr80 radiator and it doesnt cool near enough runs 190*F. needed a secondary cooling. Maybe if the scoot was setup stock for LC with plastics and spacing, it might be fine, but for a less than optimal converions. that rad is no where big enough.

Try looking at dirt bikes like a ktm65 they are small and cool fast and then use a 12v fan to keep cool run water wetter and 50/50 mix for 30* off the heat. Most of the dirt bike radiators can do huge amounts of water and cool a lot of HP in a very small space. Our KTM 65 radiator is 6" x 13" and can cool a mod 85 motor with no issue. Hope this helps.

str8: why not get one of the radiators from cycle imports as they have one that keeps a 125cc koso stroker cold with ease. its about 10"x8" and this is on a vento zip going from ac to lc placed all under the body right in front of the cylinder.

Check your bearing for your water pump

i have a cr80 radiator and it doesnt cool near enough runs 190*F. needed a secondary cooling. Maybe if the scoot was setup stock for LC with plastics and spacing, it might be fine, but for a less than optimal converions. that rad is no where big enough.

We have 5 85's in the nationals here and 9 65's none of them run hot in 98* weather. But, if we do not keep a eye on the pump bearings and fins, we get heat issues. I will test run a rm85 today at the shop and see where it ends up after a 15mph wind and 15min run time at 3/4 throttle. Question, do you use water wetter and a 50/50 mix with RO water or tap water.....Just asking not trying to make you mad at me. There may be a heat issue that the factory has not told us about. But, if you know how much the flow is and size if the piston I can do a test for the min size Aluminum core radiator for a scooter is. We have a local spot to get custom radiators.

Try a Phantom F12 rad. It's small/light and big enough to last a sprint.

2rnc7b4.jpg

This is very strange, are you sure your equipment is accurate?

Because everybody over here uses a Aerox radiator and this cools well enough, but when you go to a smaller radiator (like Piaggio's) you will have a problem with cooling!, A radiator smaller than an Aerox is not enough for a well tuned engine... Maybe your mixture is way too rich?

I bought a set of used YZ 250 rads off ebay for $10 US. They measure 9 3/4 inch x 4 1/2 inch. I think the will fit behind the front wheel with a bit of body modification. I should have them next week.

that should be good enough, but if its not, cycle imports has a really small polini radiator that is good for a 2nd radiator, its about 5" by 7" at the most.

I did a little test today at work on the 2007 yz85 and we ran it at 60% for 15 min and with 18mph air through it. We had a temp of 188* F but at 90% run up after 15 min it was 191*.... So we mad a few calls to yam and found out it is the power valve. When open less heat (90%) at 60% power valve is at 3/4 open and makes a lot of heat so our test is flawed for non power valve motors. Sorry guys. But, we were able to find some good info for you. My rider said that our fluidyne rads for the ktm85 will be more than enough. Check it out from them and give them a call. They do a lot of work for us for our Baja stuff.....http://www.fluidynepowersports.com

Not sure what a power valve (you mean thermostat?) is or how it affects your cooling but 190 is wayyy too hot. Rule of thumb is about 140F (50-60C). You arent goin to drop 50 degrees with that small of a radiator.

Like someone else said, that kinda radiator might be fine for a sprint but for road racing its too small. I use it the cr80 rad along with secondary cooler. Was running 190s before now run 140s.

I did a little test today at work on the 2007 yz85 and we ran it at 60% for 15 min and with 18mph air through it. We had a temp of 188* F but at 90% run up after 15 min it was 191*.... So we mad a few calls to yam and found out it is the power valve. When open less heat (90%) at 60% power valve is at 3/4 open and makes a lot of heat so our test is flawed for non power valve motors. Sorry guys. But, we were able to find some good info for you. My rider said that our fluidyne rads for the ktm85 will be more than enough. Check it out from them and give them a call. They do a lot of work for us for our Baja stuff.....http://www.fluidynepowersports.com

Not sure what a power valve (you mean thermostat?) is or how it affects your cooling but 190 is wayyy too hot. Rule of thumb is about 140F (50-60C). You arent goin to drop 50 degrees with that small of a radiator.

Like someone else said, that kinda radiator might be fine for a sprint but for road racing its too small. I use it the cr80 rad along with secondary cooler. Was running 190s before now run 140s.

I think power valves control exhaust gas exit on some motors They're in the exhaust port on the cylinder and make the exhaust port bigger or smaller depending on throttle.

Yes the valve is in the port just before the pipe and can make a lot of heat when closed. The water pump is also based on rpm so that kinda is not the same either. At full rpm the pump is a garden hose and at idle it is a fish pump. Not the same as a scooter pump. The best we found on pumps was 1/8 what a yz85 would do. So moving the water could be a issue on a scooter. But, I am a little out of my league here, we race mini ATV and dirt bikes. One of these days I will get some scooter pumps together and do a CFM on them to see what they do.

scooters also use crank driven water pumps. racers dont use them as much bc it puts more drag on the crank and they arent as reliable at hi rpms. my bosch electric pump flows 500l/hr. That seems pretty standard flow rate.

Back