Modified 2016 Lance powersports (sym) cabo 150cc scooter. I’m running into some issues and need help!

Cabo51_150

Hello everyone my name is Brett. I’m new to the forum, basically I got a job at a local scooter motorcycle and powersports dealership as a mechanic and salesman. Kinda funny because i know nothing about scooters, I know a little bit about motorcycles but not enough to be a mechanic, i have always worked on and modified the crap out of all my cars and that’s where most of my knowledge is. im learning very quickly but im also only learning oem scooter mechanics and not how to modify them. So anyways to get to and from work my boss fronted me a scooter and is taking payments right out of my paycheck, because when I was originally hired I was supposed to be working at our company’s new dealership right around the corner from my house. But a lot of things are getting in the way of opening that location so I have to commute 2 city’s over to get to work. So my boss gave me a brand new 2016 Lance Cabo 150cc scooter, yes it’s brand new lol they never sold it and they put it in storage to make room for new products so I got a brand new 2016 model in the year 2023 lol. Ok enough rambling I’m going to get to the point now. So I will list all the modifications I have done below, then I will discribe the problems I am having ok.

Scooter info:
2016 Lance Cabo 150
150cc gy6. Qmj1p57b
Long case cvt transmission

Scooter mods:
•egr/pair delete. + crankcase breather filter installed

•to simplify the vacuum lines I installed a vacuum manifold block with 5 inlets that are supplying everything with vacuum and 1 outlet that comes to a T hose connector, then from the T one hose attaches to the intake manifold for vacuum on idle and the other hose on the opposite end of the T goes to the intake pipe for vacuum on throttle.

•ncy performance exhaust system that was actually too quiet for my liking so I actually shortened the muffler by about 40% and stuffed about half of the fiberglass from the 40% I cut off back into the portion I used and put the tip back on and now it sounds great!

• nibbi racing intake manifold

• oem spec 24mm pd24j carburetor but I upgraded to one that’s fully adjustable because I guess California doesn’t like selling scooters with fully adjustable carburetors or something like that.

Carburetor side note… I have a size 35 pilot jet, and 105 main jet. Also the carb needles pin/c-clip is moved down one line, so basically it’s at the second from bottom line. And my carb air fuel adjustment screw is exactly 2.5 turns out.

• I have 2 nibbi racing intake pipes and installed a vacuum port on one of them, put both pipes together coming off the carb, and a pod filter on the other end that’s mounted outside of the engine compartment for a “cold air intake” kinda setup.

• then I installed a random shock from the spare parts room from my job to lower the back end of my scooter but then was scared that the back wheel would rub when I went over bumps so I installed another extra shock using the old rear fender or maybe it was the air box mount I’m not sure but yeah.

Scooter problem:
So I have been trying to get my scooter to run for days now and just finally got it to run sort of today with the carb side note info I explained above. But my scooter runs smooth from idle to about the 40% to the 50% throttle range then it sputters for a sec but once you pass 50% throttle it’s smoothe again untill I’m at wide open throttle where it will run for a sec but then dies. It’s like it runs out of gas at wide open throttle or something. But also when that happens it’s hard to start back up. As long as I don’t go full throttle then the scooter runs fine other than that sputter I mentioned. Also before when I straight piped the scooter and everything else was basically stock besides a foam air filter I was hitting 115 kmph easily. Now i can’t get my scooter to hit 70kmph. So plz help me figure out what I need to do to make my scooter fast and also work reliably again please. I am thinking maybe a bigger main jet since my issues are at full throttle but I’m not sure

Advertisement - register to remove this

main difference i notice between "fine" and "problem" looks to me is the transition from stock foam to pod filter. (as is common on most scooters)
it needs enough vacuum to operate many things (fuel supply to carb., control of carb.) and that basically goes down the drain with a pod filter.
isn't there more specific expertise with your co-workers?

Last edited:
Back