Starting Problems PLease Help

Cathal

I have a gilera 172, It;s year 01, I've been driving it for 2 days now,

Today, I pulled up to my friends, Turned engine off for like and hour, Came out and it would not start, Then i got it going, And when down the road full throttle for about 100m, Then it spluttered and cut out, then i kickstarted it and it spluttered and cut out, Brought it back and could not get it started,

The only thing i can thing i can think of is a dirty carb (ps i got petrol in the engine)
Ya know on the gilera's the air intake (rubber bit connects the airbox and carb) has a hole in it from wheel rubbing against it, Think this is the prob?

Please help, I've only bought the thing,

Advertisement - register to remove this

Cathal said:
I have a gilera 172, It;s year 01, I've been driving it for 2 days now,

Today, I pulled up to my friends, Turned engine off for like and hour, Came out and it would not start, Then i got it going, And when down the road full throttle for about 100m, Then it spluttered and cut out, then i kickstarted it and it spluttered and cut out, Brought it back and could not get it started,

The only thing i can thing i can think of is a dirty carb (ps i got petrol in the engine)
Ya know on the gilera's the air intake (rubber bit connects the airbox and carb) has a hole in it from wheel rubbing against it, Think this is the prob?

Please help, I've only bought the thing,

Yes the hole is on the air tube is a problem too, it chnages your fuel-mixture rate (too lean mixture)!

ok, so i'll change that tube, (it;s not the tube the connects the carb to the reed vaulves, it's the one that connects the air box to the carb,

So i'll replace that rubber bit and use carb cleaner to clean to carb, should it be ok then?

How do ya clean out the carb properly, And if i clean it out and replace the rubber bit and it still won't start, do ya have any other ideas what it could be?

And btw what are bushings?

I put some cheap (very cheap) 2 stroke oil in, Could this be the prob, Coz i got the oil off a guy who has same prob On his sf

Ok, I took all the hoses out of the carb and took the two screws out of the carb and cleaed the inside, Just sprayed the jets, I changed the spark plug and cap (cap also needed replacing) then i Tried kicking starting for a while and nothing happened I also sucked in fuel, Any ideas what the prob could be, It's not siezed and there is compression

Ok, I took all the hoses out of the carb and took the two screws out of the carb and cleaed the inside, Just sprayed the jets, I changed the spark plug and cap (cap also needed replacing) then i Tried kicking starting for a while and nothing happened I also sucked in fuel, Any ideas what the prob could be, It's not siezed and there is compression and oil,

Back