Just starting to soup up my ped

jfleong

Hey All,

New to the forums, just wanted to start souping up my moped and was wondering if anyone had any pointers on where to start and what are the best parts.

I have a 2007 SYM DD50 and my brother also has a 2005 DD50 (I don't know the exact years but I have the newest model and he has one previous model).

Both are running stock with aftermarket pipes and wondering what the next step would be. I do not have a spending limit but would like to do all the upgrades myself as to learn about how to fix my DD50.

Some questions that I have:
1. What is the most bang for the buck upgrade you can do?
2. What is the most reliable bore size? and what other parts would you need to support that bigger bore kit?
3. Changing gears? Heard that you need a stronger motor.
4. Changing pulley? how much effect does this have.

Thanks in advance,

jfleong

Advertisement - register to remove this

welcome mate,
well to start off with i would get a sports exhaust thats what everyone usally to starts off with then gradually start to tune it more e.g. carb.clutch etc...
well the best upgrade would be a 70's kit but you cant just buy a 70s kit and then put it in and think your bike will run fine you need to buy things like new reeds, crankshaft (depends what 70s you get) and other things. for changing gears you dont need to worry about that without 70s kit, if i was you mate id buy a new exhaust and get a new variator (polini or malossi variator) if you did decide to buy exhaust and put variator you will need to upjet. Hope this helps mate, any questions just ask :)

Yea by aftermarket piping i meant new exhaust.

What is a 70's kit? A 70cc bore kit upgrade?
My brother and I were looking at the stage 3 or stage 4 dio kit from http://www.jiangwayne.com/scooter/p_i.php?i=264

Is that a good deal or is that taking a big chunk outta the cake on the first crack.
I have general mechanic skills and could probably take apart the engine to change the cylinder.

My brother was thinking about ordering package deal from this website while I was thinking of buying a bigger bore, bigger carb, weights, pulley, and gearing from the local moped shop.

Any suggestions on which would be the better approach to fixing up your ped?

a 70's kit is the same as what your talking about lol but some dont have much power as others like polini sports there a 70cc kit but people use them for more everyday use than racing etc.. it depends what you want mate do you want this ped for daily use from like 50-60mph or do you want real power which will mean you will want to get a 70's ?

Ok I think i'm going to go with a 72cc cylinder kit,
Upgrade the variator,
Go with a bigger carb,
and racing gears.
Does this sound good?

Back