Which is best : Polini, Malossi, Hebo, ect.

Speed

I've just returned back for the bike show in Milan Italy. As always all the Manufactures over in Europe claim the same thing. I have the best & fastes producrs in Europe. I need to know the truth from guys that race Scooter 70cc open. I use a Piaggio Zip SP H20. We are #1 here in BERMUDA.

Question: To All that read this. Which Product is better for Racing using Full Racing Piaggio Zip SP 70cc Open (19mm Carb)

1. Polini Evolution
2. Metrakit Pro Race
3. Hebo Line
4. Malossi MHR
5. Fabrizi F.H.T.

Added Speed

Advertisement - register to remove this

It depends largely on your own tuning abilities.
You are the cook, those kits are just the basic ingredients!
If you simply do bolt-on racing the MHR Team kit is probably best. But any kit can be modified to outperform all the standard kits. I would stick to Polini or Malossi as they have the best build quality. (esp. Nikasil)

what would you like to do with the scooter? sprinting? track racing?

* what are some of the technical requirements / limitations for racing there?
* what about tuning? use the stock cylinders or tuned?
* Fabrizi is not easy to get... (certainly if you need spare-parts). Polini/Malossi is known alle over the world and probably easier to get gaskets, pistons, cylinderheads when necessary

I go with Aidix for all other points :)

PS: you've got pictures of the racing scene over there? :p

i agree only Polini & Malossi kits for me as they have the best nikasil plating of all the aftermarket cilinders.

but one time i managed to experience an MHR LC cilinder (not a Speed or Cross just the old MHR 1-piece head cilinder) failing because of the nikasil plating near the top of the barrel lost adhesion to the cilinder. i found that out when i pulled down the cilinder to replace the old ring. that really broke my heart & my wallet.LOL

worked for 2 months before i got a new MHR Speed cilinder & MHR Team crank and i've never looked back ever since. now my old cilinder is an expensive paper weight.LOL

Finally, I found persons that give proper answers. I found out that good tuning, handling & reliability is the key for track racing, but the rider is my cook in this kitchen.
We are the biggest parts dealer here in Bermuda and we carry every thing under the sun.
Last season we used Mertakit Pro Race Cylinder kit. We wrapped up 16 straight first place finishes in a row. I fell that the Sava Soft Racing Tire played a much better role that the Dunlops that the competition was using.
Racing here is open, meaning you can do anything to the motor besides using, NOS & the motor must not exceed 90cc. We used a standard 70cc motor at the beginning of the season. Towards the end we used a 89cc Zip Sp H20 motor. You could not imagine the power this motor produces.

Zip Sp 90cc
1. MHR Team Cylinder re-bored out to 52mm & re-nikasil plated.
2. Fabrizi F.H.T. Stroker Crankshaft 44mm corsa.

This season I will try a Polini Evolution Motor complete. I've been talking to their technical dept., & have had good technical feed back.

Yes, I have lots of pictures & I video tape every scooter race. Send me your address at subzero@ibl.bm and I will mail some tapes to you.

Added Speed

how did you adapted the Pro Race from 70cc up to 89 ?
what piston did you use on it? and how did it improved the power?

No, our Metrakit Pro Race motor is a tuned 70cc motor with a 28 Kehlin Carburetor & Hebo Clutch System.

Our 90cc motor, we took a Malossi MHR Team Cylinder Kit and bored out the cylinder block (the cylinder sleeve is much thicker than most cylinders) to 52mm & re-niksail plated it back. You have to stroke it as well to get up to 89cc. We used a Wisco piston from a 80cc motorcross bike.

Our race rules have changed now. I am now the Vise Presedent of our club and I changed the rule to 70cc with a 19mm. carburetor. With these big motors, racing was not FUN any more. Not everyone can aford to maintain motors like this for a whole season. In track racing, everyone must have the same thing. May the best cheater win. Ha! Ha!

In some races we lap riders (3) times with these motors. And it is ALL on video tape.

Added Speed

hey man, do you guys have this new malossi speed cil. allready?

It's not yet here but the pictures are;)
(Check the differences)
2003_1005_044952AA.JPG

2003_1005_044959AA.JPG

2003_1005_045008AA.JPG

2003_1005_045019AA.JPG

2003_1005_045024AA.JPG

If you have the kit allready there, can you tell us some details about it?

And can you send me some pic's and tape's on: zagon22@hotmail.com ?
Thankx , Jacco.

Originally posted by Speed
No, our Metrakit Pro Race motor is a tuned 70cc motor with a 28 Kehlin Carburetor & Hebo Clutch System.

Our 90cc motor, we took a Malossi MHR Team Cylinder Kit and bored out the cylinder block (the cylinder sleeve is much thicker than most cylinders) to 52mm & re-niksail plated it back. You have to stroke it as well to get up to 89cc. We used a Wisco piston from a 80cc motorcross bike.

Our race rules have changed now. I am now the Vise Presedent of our club and I changed the rule to 70cc with a 19mm. carburetor. With these big motors, racing was not FUN any more. Not everyone can aford to maintain motors like this for a whole season. In track racing, everyone must have the same thing. May the best cheater win. Ha! Ha!

In some races we lap riders (3) times with these motors. And it is ALL on video tape.

Added Speed

I don't want to spoil your great project, but the bore-stroke combination you described results in a volume of 93.4 cc.

And that's more than 90 cc....................

Please show me the formula & calculations that you are using.

Added Speed

Ok,

A = 0.25 Pi (Bore)^2
V = A x S

V = volume (cm^3 / cc)
A = area piston (cm^2)
S = stroke (cm)

A = 0.25 x 3.14 x 5.2^2 = 21.24 cm^2
S = 4.4 cm

V = 21.24 x 4.4 = 93.4 cm^3 / cc

Reduce the bore to 51mm, then you'll have a volume of 89.9 cc....

The bore is now 52mm, but the piston is 51mm or 51.80 (080.00), oversize Wisco Piston.

Yesss, technically we would say stroke x bore, but legally we will would measure the piston dia.

When we first get the cylinders I have to use a 51mm piston, but after wear you have to step up the piston sizes. In Europe you use A, B,C, D......

Didn't I say, may the best cheater WIN!

Added Speed

The bore is now 52mm, but the piston is 51mm or 51.80 (080.00), oversize Wisco Piston.

Yesss, technically we would say stroke x bore, but legally we will would measure the piston dia.

When we first get the cylinders I have to use a 51mm piston, but after wear you have to step up the piston sizes. In Europe you use A, B,C, D......

Didn't I say, may the best cheater WIN!

Added Speed

Very strange...

First of all, you don't get far with a piston-cylinder clearance of 0.20 mm (51.80 piston in 52.00 bore).
A good clearance should be somewhere around 0.05-0.07 mm, about 4 times less.

Second, 51.8 mm is closer to 52mm than 51mm, so the I don't think the technical inspection will accept that as a 51mm piston.

Third, the A,B,C,D pistons go up in steps of about 0.01mm and the nominal size will be the same as the bore, 52 mm.
(In reality the size is 51.95mm for example)

I like the idea of the 90cc engine but I advise you to get your information right before starting a project like this.

Back