Tuning alu cilinders

roost

I have to tune a cylinder (mhr replica). I have to work on the exhaust and I'm concerned about the NicaSil. It's easy to chip off this layer and ruin the cylinder? Which is the best way to work on it without risk, a very fine stone is ok?
Thanx!

Advertisement - register to remove this

roost said:
I have to tune a cylinder (mhr replica). I have to work on the exhaust and I'm concerned about the NicaSil. It's easy to chip off this layer and ruin the cylinder? Which is the best way to work on it without risk, a very fine stone is ok?
Thanx!

Yes it's very sensitive! Be very carefull) If you make something wrong you can remove some square mm Cr or NiKaSil. The milling machines position (it's angle) is very important too. Do not push it hard and do it slow! And never do big movements, make little movements like dentists:) You can use fine stone, or fine diamond cutter. Good luck!

The NiKaSil on ALL these factory race kits are of poor quality. I find it best to use carbide high-speed diamond cut bits.
I got a cylinder re-niKaSil in the USA from a Motorcross company. The company that did the job highly criticized the nikaSil on a MHR Race Team Cylinder Kit. After I got the cylinder back he was right. The NikaSil that they put on the cylinder is so hard it seized once, but just the piston got dammaged. The block still looks brand new. Modifying the cylinder too a very long time. The NikaSil is sooooooo had. But yes, you will have this problem.

Speed

I will check the invoice which is in my office. Give 24hrs. It is best to modify the cylinder first then get it re-nikaSiled. Your cylinder will also last longer, trust me.

Speed

i have tuned alot a nikasil wall cilinders, the only thing you have to worry about it not slipping and hitting the nikasil wall, i even make brand new boosterports a nikasil wall, this goes so well. That i dont even worry about parts breaking of anymore. BTW i use a high speed hard steel cutter.

Speed

You can tune any NiKaSil or Cr coated cylinder without any failure!
My experince: start to thin only the coating and when it's totally disappeared you can do anything with the aluminium. But If you milling the alu+coating together (for example If your cutter is perpendicular to the barrel's wall) you have a big chance to tear a big pieces of coating!

Speed said:
I will check the invoice which is in my office. Give 24hrs. It is best to modify the cylinder first then get it re-nikaSiled. Your cylinder will also last longer, trust me.

Speed

I thing it's not worth the price, cause a reNiKaSil costs about 160 euro.

If the coating dameged, then the iron sleeve is a good and cheap solution, and your kit has a long life! And the difference in power is not very significant.

Let me clear something up. I do not take cylinder kits and just re-nikaSil them. I do modify these cylinders without any problem. I had one cylinder re-bored out to 52mm, so it had to be re-nikasiled over. It was a good cylinder that performed well & I wanted to go bigger instead of stroking the motor. But the "New" nikasil" is of better quality. On the invoice it only cost $85.00us for the nikasil coating.

Speed

Speed said:
Let me clear something up. I do not take cylinder kits and just re-nikaSil them. I do modify these cylinders without any problem. I had one cylinder re-bored out to 52mm, so it had to be re-nikasiled over. It was a good cylinder that performed well & I wanted to go bigger instead of stroking the motor. But the "New" nikasil" is of better quality. On the invoice it only cost $85.00us for the nikasil coating.

Speed

Ok. If you rebore it, than this is an other case! $85 is not bad!

Hey speed, $85 USD? Thats a good price! What country is it located? Can you pls post the address of their shop. Thanks.

$85!!! i can resurrect my old MHR LC cilinder if it's that cheap but i suppose shipping costs aren't included yet, about porting nikasil coated cilinders i definitely use a diamond burr 'coz it's so smooth & doesn't nick the plating off like most grinding stones do.

Speed i can agree with you that Malossi's nikasil plating is really bad, it's pretty easy to nick them off when porting or they come off the cilinder walls under extreme use.

Back