Track bike...minarelli or piaggio?

Chaps_Zip

By: Polini
guys what do you think, for a track scooter (the track is very small - longest straight is 1/8 mile) what bike would you go for...a piaggio zip sp 2000 or a firefox f15? i know you can make any bike good with some tuning but im talking about pretty much off the shelf parts...no tuning to the kit and so forth...only thing is matching the bottom half. and for one of these bikes what setup would you go for...malossi team II or polini evo...which of these untuned would be best for short track racing with more acceleration compared to speed...

thanks

Advertisement - register to remove this

i'd get me a Zip 'coz the smaller 10" tires are better suited for smaller tracks, as for the kit try Metrakit Prorace2 they are fast & very durable it doesn't hurt your wallet very much like the others (especially malossi).

Isn't a firefox too heavy for such a small track ? I'd go with the zip as well.
As for the kit, I'd pick a polini evo or a Stage6 Racing / Athena Racing. The S6R kits are pretty cheap (at least they are here in Denmark) and they can be really fast as well.

well at the track right now there are 3 dominant bikes....2 are zips and 1 is a firefox...thas why i asked. i woulda thought the zips would (and should) be better but they are all pretty close. the firefox is definetley bigger but it seems to hold up pretty good...its running a pr2 setup i think. the zips are mk pr and team malossi

cycles international brought out a aprillia sr with a piagio engine and it was all in ricks zip... i heard rick races a polini engine though but with mk stickers...i dunno it was probably just rumours.i know he uses polini selletra because i have seen it... but who really cares the bike is fast...

maybe i dunno bout ricks engine and all but i kno he uses the metrakit pro race (old version...not pr2) pipe...so i dunno. but his bike is still a missle...i dont care what he runs, ill run it too!! but i still think marks zip is faster..it was WAY faster last race day so we'll see next weekend (there is races rite?)

aight guys, here's the scoop, commin straight out of the FU racing firefox camp........
straight up, the zips have far better handling for such a small track........HOWEVER, for those of you in here talkin about the bermy track, you should realize that every month the track design changes. it's because of this that we still keep the firefox out on the track . don't think for two seconds that Cook won't be on a zip soon.....it's sittin in the warehouse ready to be unpacked right now. We run all Metrakit Pro Race blocks on our bikes, with PR2 pipes on the fox and the benelli. the thing is though, the firefox is gonna be back out on top very soon. all this time that you guys have been watchin and tryin to understand how it was so fast, know this: we were runnin pump gas.......no klotz, no super fuel, just plain old st.georges esso premium. guess what? she's on the good stuff now, and when the benelli comes back out, she'll be runnin it too.

oh, did you notice how much closer the race was on the faster track between the second place zip, ricks zip, and the firefox? it all has to do with the track my friends.....the shorter the track, the better the zips will go.....the faster the track, the more you'll see of them green machines...

straight up though, get yourself the zip pop, that extra 1 horsepower will be a big plus when you're tryin to keep up.

oh, and ricks fastest zip was the one with the polini evo motor that he bought back with him from spain, but it did have the metrakit pr1 pipe on it, you're right. Notice though, he's had the stinger off a c20 welded onto it

damn, forgot, all we guys are runnin small carbs, except for the #77 and #66 and a couple of the zips.....small carbs equal less turbulence in the intake, and they make the power roll on a little more smoother than a big flatslide

FUracing8 said:
aight guys, here's the scoop, commin straight out of the FU racing firefox camp........
straight up, the zips have far better handling for such a small track........HOWEVER, for those of you in here talkin about the bermy track, you should realize that every month the track design changes. it's because of this that we still keep the firefox out on the track . don't think for two seconds that Cook won't be on a zip soon.....it's sittin in the warehouse ready to be unpacked right now. We run all Metrakit Pro Race blocks on our bikes, with PR2 pipes on the fox and the benelli. the thing is though, the firefox is gonna be back out on top very soon. all this time that you guys have been watchin and tryin to understand how it was so fast, know this: we were runnin pump gas.......no klotz, no super fuel, just plain old st.georges esso premium. guess what? she's on the good stuff now, and when the benelli comes back out, she'll be runnin it too.

oh, did you notice how much closer the race was on the faster track between the second place zip, ricks zip, and the firefox? it all has to do with the track my friends.....the shorter the track, the better the zips will go.....the faster the track, the more you'll see of them green machines...

straight up though, get yourself the zip pop, that extra 1 horsepower will be a big plus when you're tryin to keep up.

You say that the firefoxes are quicker on a fast-track, why? Zip weighs less, and will have better acceleration ?

yah but u cant carry that speed without momentum

thats where the weight will come in its easy for someone on a heavy bike to carry speed with less effort the zip will have to work harder and the bigger bike will be more stable at higher speeds tight track small wheel base yah hands down a zip will kill most bike but on a track with descent corner speed a zip can be beaten

yea wat rwade said...but the firefox doesnt win the races...he comes right behind the zips...like he is on their tail the whole race tho. i guess the weight mite be of some assistance...but also the guy who rides it is kinda crazy..he will do anything to stay right behind those guys...and pretty much anything to get in front! i think that makes the biggest difference on small tracks..not so much the bike but the rider who races it...

well you really hit the nail on the head Chaps, Cook's off the hizzle when it comes to ridin that thing, but just like rwade said, the momentum you can carry with those bikes through a corner is just incredible. watch his line through the faster corners on the track and tell me who is tighter to the curb and carrying more speed.....that firefox my friend. unlike some people, he also rides very clean, respectful of the other riders around him. we all know which Cook REALLY will do anything to win don't we?

them 12 inch dunlops make a world of difference too. no wobble at all like a zip, and I don't care what anyone says, full race bitubo suspension or not, the SINGLE FORK zips wobble like crazy when they are laid right over through a fast corner. dunlop tires make a huge difference on those bikes, but you still have to nurse them, unlike a benelli or a firefox. the nicest part is that low to mid range acceleration, that's where they burn the minerelli powered bikes. the hard thing to do with a fox or a 491 is to not coast through corners. you need to keep the rpms up and on the gas.

BUT like I said, the bike is comming up to a whole next level now. the guy who owns is it still playing with it, because he just put it on race gas. after some more fine tuning, at.east we think, that'll atleast be able to stick with the zips as far as top speed and acceleration goes. the rest of it is up to mad ed and his riding style. the firefox will win again this season. I'd bet on that one.

has anybody every tried using a yamaha jog against a zip on the track. the jogs are really light and can be made super fast. if so how did they do against the zips.

no no1 has tried a jog yet, the scooters we have at the track are zips (all new zip sp 2000 models) benelli 491's, a firefox, a new aprilia sr, a runner and thas pretty much it...

FU Racing does have a new model jog that we have been taking down to the track for drag racing now and then, the black STONER bike, #0. the thing is, we've had a 10 pin crank in it all this time and I've finally found a 12 pin one that I'm gonna use soon. we run EVO2 stuff on it and as soon as it's all done, you'll see it

while i dont kno for sure...all i heard was the sr had a piaggio engine in it...does that mean they changed it to a piaggio engine cause you can get sr's with piaggio engines stock...wats teh beetles bike???

um ok

i thought more of u but since uve said that dun lol yes they changed it to a piaggio engine a runner mengine and yah im asking bout the red and yellow runner
have u seen it run wat u think bout it ?

Back