Shaving Roller Weights

BB Roxx

Minarelli Maniac
8PUmm! What's the easiest way to trim down roller weights and keep them even? I guess I'm planning on drilling them out in the center little by little. But wonder if the drillbit will wonder as I don't have a drill press. Makes sense that they need to stay evenly distributed for balance reasons, right?

Anyone done this with any success before?

Thanks

Advertisement - register to remove this

buy different weigts ;)

and keep them round , by using the right rollers (not the cheap ones) , the right equipement (no warn down parts) and keep any dust out of your variator system bij regularly cleaning these parts...

Why would you even try to do it?
Just buy the right size of roller weights.
I would try to do this because the Malossi Overange kit came with two sets, both of which are too heavy, so to buy 1 set of 6 is $18.00 US and I may need to try three sets to get it right.

So as I see it:

3.8 gr set= $18.00 (came with overange)
3.5 gr set= $18.00 (came with overange)
3.2 gr set= $18.00
3.0 gr set= $18.00
2.7 gr set= $18.00
$90.00

That's $90.00 in roller weights that I will have bought only to utilize $18.00 worth.

So I was thinking that I could make my 3.8's into 3.2's and my 3.5's into 3.0's.

then I only spent $36.00 and will beneft the same $18.00 worth.

picture.php

Just a thought.

Last edited:
I would try to do this because the Malossi Overange kit came with two sets, both of which are too heavy, so to buy 1 set of 6 is $18.00 US and I may need to try three sets to get it right.

So as I see it:

3.8 gr set= $18.00 (came with overange)
3.5 gr set= $18.00 (came with overange)
3.2 gr set= $18.00
3.0 gr set= $18.00
2.7 gr set= $18.00
$90.00

That's $90.00 in roller weights that I will have bought only to utilize $18.00 worth.

So I was thinking that I could make my 3.8's into 3.2's and my 3.5's into 3.0's.

then I only spent $36.00 and will beneft the same $18.00 worth.

picture.php

Just a thought.

i would give it a go just make sure you hold them in a clap or pliers. i have a polini 9 roler variator so who knows how im going to get mine right haha. good luck. try not to shave too much off them.

buy different weigts ;)

and keep them round , by using the right rollers (not the cheap ones) , the right equipement (no warn down parts) and keep any dust out of your variator system bij regularly cleaning these parts...

even the Malossi rollers aren't immune to inconsistencies, i bought a lot of Malossi 19 x 15,5 HT rollers & some of them are over the indicated weight by as much as 0,3g so i had to drill them to get them to the indicated weight.

i used a Tanita digital weight scale, made in Japan, very expensive.

even the Malossi rollers aren't immune to inconsistencies, i bought a lot of Malossi 19 x 15,5 HT rollers & some of them are over the indicated weight by as much as 0,3g so i had to drill them to get them to the indicated weight.

i used a Tanita digital weight scale, made in Japan, very expensive.

That's the part of the equation that I'm lacking; the scale. I was askin around at work and such to see if we had a decent +/-.01 gram scale or at least a +/- .1 gram scale but haven't found one yet. So if I buy a $100 scale phhhhht... there goes the money anyway. Argh! Oh well, when there's a will, there's a way, right? I'll figure it out.

actually there is a cheap china made digital weight scale that's within +-.1g of the Tanita digital scale, you could try & find it at harbor freight, they might have them in stock.

any serious scooter tuner must have it, even a 0,2g total change makes a difference.

actually there is a cheap china made digital weight scale that's within +-.1g of the Tanita digital scale, you could try & find it at harbor freight, they might have them in stock.

any serious scooter tuner must have it, even a 0,2g total change makes a difference.
Thanks, I'll check it out at HFT. We got one up the road here.

Cheers

Back