Lowend Problems

Ok so I wont switch but I'm really considering just getting a little spacer machined. But with all the people with kiesler and malossi setups like this they dont have any problems???

cantdrive55 said:
Ok so I wont switch but I'm really considering just getting a little spacer machined. But with all the people with kiesler and malossi setups like this they dont have any problems???
Does the engine run now? If it does, you can try an other needle (like Tiba said). The standard egnition should do fine on your EVO.

The engine is running. Its just the lowend that is just crap. It is litteraly like someone keeps turning the ignition on and off 100times when going under 5mph. I'm trying to find other needles but am having a real tough time finding any places here in the USA.

Last edited:
cantdrive55 said:
The engine is running. Its just the lowend that is just crap. It is litteraly like someone keeps turning the ignition on and off 100times when going under 5mph. I'm trying to find other needles but am having a real tough time finding any places here in the USA.
Try your luck at motocross or karting shops. The still use carburators and 2 stroke engines.

Aloha, I just put my engine together and have the large angle setup on my OKO. The angle is almost 45 degrees but does not seem to affect flooding or the float. But I need to experiment according to how Tiba describes the running rich at low end problem.

My new setup

Minarelli Horizontal LC . DD aprilia
Tuned carters, Piaggio style
Larger reed block and 35% bigger reeds
42mm stroker crank, full circle 16,000 rpm
Oko 21, rear facing
Polini Variator 21 grams, wider belt, Malossi torque driver, Honda rear pully
Polini Evo 70cc tuned
head cut 1.5mm to allow longer stroke and increase torque.
squish .6mm
Yasuni 16

Right now runs very strong 11,000-13,000, but still much more to dial in.

frank

Last edited:
Well, I just went down to a buddy's kart shop and he had a 28mm Dell'orto for $15 so I got that from him and will try that. If that still doesnt work I'm gonna try and find a true Mikuni needle. I'm just hoping the Dell works out as I've always prefered Dell's in cars...

Well, the Dell didnt do jack. It just was a waste and will be listed on eBay shortly. lol

I'm hoping to find someone willing to buy the OKO/Keihin needles below for me and I can pay you for them and the shipping plus a bit.

2.465mm Needle
JJL/017-181

2.485mm Needle
JJN/017-182

2.505mm Needle
JJQ/017-183

On a side note, I did play with it a bit more tonight and got it up to 77mph GPS'd. :~ If only I can fix this lowend...

Aloha, I am experiencing lowend probs with my OKO (21) with a similiar Wig, Evo Yasuni (16), as yours......but it just comes down to lean or rich and rpm range. If I run on the low end of power range (under 9000 and my power starts at 10k) The engine will bog and even four stroke. At take off as I get over 5-10 mph the rpms build and the engine cleans up. I minimized this by progressively going down a notch on the needle, but it was still a bit rich at midrange (running, bogging, lurching, some 4 stroking). I changed to a thicker needle I had and at the center position it ran nice with only a bit of the problems above. I dropped the needle one clip and my EGT shot up 250F and CHT went up 75F and the engine at midrange was "hunting" ....suggesting it is running lean. So back to center position on the fatter needle, but I need to test more throttle openings and responses with my EGT to see if the needle profile is OK.
Good luck with yours.
frank

cantdrive55 said:
Well, the Dell didnt do jack. It just was a waste and will be listed on eBay shortly. lol

I'm hoping to find someone willing to buy the OKO/Keihin needles below for me and I can pay you for them and the shipping plus a bit.

2.465mm Needle
JJL/017-181

2.485mm Needle
JJN/017-182

2.505mm Needle
JJQ/017-183

On a side note, I did play with it a bit more tonight and got it up to 77mph GPS'd. :~ If only I can fix this lowend...

Where did you find those needle Part Numbers?

Funny you just asked. I just got back from putting the JJL in and its like night and freakin day!! The lowend is back and this thing pulls from 0-60 with ease and then continues up to 75mph tonight.

For once I am happy with this setup and plan on riding allllllll day long tomorrow since its gonna be really nice out here tomorrow. Now I'll have to upjet since the temps are starting to drop for Fall now...

Back