APE TM 220 starting problems

Frankie Ko

Good evening Scooter Fans

I am struggling with an APE TM 220 Piaggio panel Scooter trike.
For people who are not familiair with this; it has a 220 cc two stroke engine with a Dellorto vacuüm carburator.
The thing make's Idling noises, but as soon as I release the iginition key it stalls completely.
I cleaned the carb 3 times already, and I installed new gaskets plus a new floater with a new needle and seat.
Accidentaly I started the thing with an unmounted exhaust, and it fired up directly, high revving.
With this in mind I bought a new exhaust, but wit zero result.

I am pretty desperate now, and the only thing left to try out now, is mounting a new vacuum membrane, but with €160 spend already I am not sure if this will help.

Thanks for replies.

Best regards, Frank

Advertisement - register to remove this

Before you mount a new vacuem membrane , test it .. It saves a lot of mony. chekking/testing your parts before randomly replacing them. ;)

And if you dont have the knowledge or tools for testing , show the vacuem membrane or other parts to someone ho does.. :)

Before you mount a new vacuem membrane , test it .. It saves a lot of mony. chekking/testing your parts before randomly replacing them. ;)

And if you dont have the knowledge or tools for testing , show the vacuem membrane or other parts to someone ho does.. :)

Okay Danny

When holding the membrane to a TL light tube, I discovered a small white spot close to the center part, and I patched it up with aircraft sealant on both sides, this is just to discover if it cures the starting problem.
I am going to test it this week, and if it works it is soon enough to buy a new membrane.
Another thought which crosses my mind is, that it might be an electrical problem.
If the small workshop manual is right, there should be a purple wire running from the ignition switch straight to the ignition coil, separate from the 3 wires that come from the flywheel coils.
This purple wire should give a permanent 12v as soon the ignition switch is at halve turn before hitting the starter motor to keep the engine running.
I know this doesn't explain why it does run without the exhaust system mounted, but I am out of other ideas.
I will first going to test the patched up membrane, and then look for other options.

Thanks' for your support .

Regards, Frank

Back