Gilera 125

Cathal

Hey I can buy a Gilera 125 (but it's really a malossi 172) for €1100 only one prob is that it need indicators and a new exhaust,

Here is my problem. I think i'll buy it....

but.,,,,,,, i can't afford insurance for a 125 i can on;y afford 50cc. So how can i make a 125 look like a 50cc Gilera Runner.?????

I'll get rid of the wind sheld at the front. But what about big air box and exhaust???

I need to fool the police,

PLease help
PS do ya think it's a good idea Gilera 172, racing clutch for €1100 year 2002

Advertisement - register to remove this

yeh, thats pretty cheap one, I don't know how much bikes cost in your country but here you can't even afford -02 50cc typhoon with less cost :mad:

it's not new. And it's a mate. Usually you pay about €2000+ especially if it's got a 172 kit.

How can i cover it up being a 125. I want it to look like a fifty. I want to know what gives it away that it's a 125 like exhaust and stuff.

Btw I've decided to put a new air filter on it (when i get it) The GIlera Runner 125 is a 4 stroke right. Therefore i won't havre to tune my carb??

4 stroke r u kidding 172cc's of pure 2 stroke mayhem, you will need to upjet your carb by about 10-20% for a free flow filter, or it will seize! ouch.. and making it look like a fifty is a v bad idea, the police wont notice but if u ever caused a crash, the insurance inspector would and youd be up shit creek without a paddle :(

so if i were you save up 125 insurance isnt much more than 50 insurance esp. if u got a years NCB :)

tom

lol lol in ireland insurance for a 125 is €4000 in dublin. 125cc Gilera with a 172 malossi is a 4 stroke i'm pretty sure. And the police do know. Well some of them

Right, if its a 172 then its a 2 stroke, if its a 176 then its a 4 stroke. What kind of runner is it? an SP, VXR, VX? YOu couldn't just make it look like a 50cc bike and insure it like that as to insure a bike you need to give your insurance company the registration number so they would know that is was a 125. What country are you in by the way?

Dave

i'm in ireland and i have the log book of a 50cc gilera. SO all i got to do is transfer insurance by phone and wait for cert and i'm insured. (if i crash i'm fucked)(but i won't)and it's only 3rd party so i don't get anything anyway.

If's a 125 is it a 4 stroke and if it's a 172 is it a 2 stroke.
I read in a mag that it's a 4 stroke. (Bike buyers guide so it could have been a mistake,

There are 125 two and four stroke ones.

If you crash and then the insurance company spot you are on a 172 when you are only allowed a 50 they will not cover you if you hit someone else so they could sue you as the insuance company will not pay out on your behalf. This is what 3rd party is for.

If its a 2 stroke its worth getting though, as long as its in decent condition. Get it, do it up and use it when your 17 or when your license allows.

Dave

dave i thought surely if its a 4 stroke it would be 210 kit not 172 ??never heard of 176... mate i said i wouldnt crash wen i went out without tax and mot ....and guess wat after a year of no crashes i did :(

tom

I am 17 and my licence allows me to drive the bike. But insurance is Insane an extra €3700 i'll have to put towards it for 8 months. Could be a 2 stroke I'll find out.
The pannels are a bit rough but fixable. The guy i am getting it off, has had a problem. There was a hole in his exhaust about the size of a tennis ball. Then he bought a new one (Prob a second hand exhaut) and there is a hole in this too any ideas why this is happening?

Thats about 800 quid, so I would say if its the 2 stoke runner its not to bad. If its the 4 stroke I wouldn't bother.

As for the panels, very easy to get hold of runner panels as theres millions of them about and if there no to bad then they should be easy enough to repair. The exhausts on the 125 runners (2 stroke) are fairly easy to get hold of and are quite good for standard pipes, however they are really heavy so putting an aftermarket exhuast on is a good idea.

So if its a stroke and its in reasonable condition, go for it.

Dave

Yup she is a 2 stroke a 172, wit racing clutch and other mods. He also put a power pipe on it just the other day. If i want to remove the big air box and put a K&N on or another type of air filter what will have to do to the carb? Upjet etc....?

Back