This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

carb size calculator

icedeocampo

accoding to BROWNI:

This is only a theoretical formula but you can use it for an estimate:

You can use this formula for the engine's maximal power revolution. In this revolution the gas speed must be 45-60 m/s. You can use the smaller value (45 m/s) if you want an engine with a good overreving characteristic, so you can rev up higher revolutions. You can use the 60 m/s if you want a very good engine at the "middle range".

carb diameter(mm)=square root[ (n * s * D^2)/(30 * v)]

n= maximal power revolution (1/min)
s=stoke (mm)
D=bore (mm)
v=gas speed (45-60 m/s)

The total area of the intake manifol must be 10-15% bigger than the carburator area! -> so if the carburator is 28 mm than the intake manifold is ~29,36-30,02 mm

I created a tool that computes that automatically:
(You need Microsoft .NET framework)

http://users.cjb.net/icedeocampo/

Last edited:
Maybe I am n00b but what do I have to fill in at N =...... the rpms I want my engine to "drive"....

It doesn't work correct. My stroke is 39.2 and my bore is 47.6 but it says "invalid data"
When I fill in 39 and 47 it does work. If i filled it in correctly I should have a 28mm carb :W (and i do).

BTW: I think it's a very usefull tool . Ofcourse the best way to know is by testing, but the outcomes are pretty accurate

Hmm much better. But the carb sizes when whole numbers are filled in are more realistic I think. Engine displacement is nice btw . Now I should have a 30mm carb according to version 3.0

hmm... but i think it's accurate.. coz a .6 difference in bore size makes a big difference

ppl please post here for comments so we can improve

icedeocampo said:
hmm... but i think it's accurate.. coz a .6 difference in bore size makes a big difference

ppl please post here for comments so we can improve

this software doesn't work on my PC. What should I need?

According to the formula it now works more accurate yes... But theory isn't always correct .
But It's a nice tool though!

Use , not .

I downloaded version 1.0 the first time. This version doesn't support decimals. Now I have the new version 3.0 which does....

ice the program doesn't work on this rented PC so i'll let you answer this for me; what would be my max power rpm with a 21mm carb on a Honda Dio 54cc with a bore/stroke of 40mm x 43mm?

tiba_karotsu said:
ice the program doesn't work on this rented PC so i'll let you answer this for me; what would be my max power rpm with a 21mm carb on a Honda Dio 54cc with a bore/stroke of 40mm x 43mm?

I don't think this formula works visa-versa, cause when you count your carb diameter from this formula you know your engine's approx maximal power revolution range (you calulate from the port timings, + the expansion chamber etc..). SO you can choose the carb size wiih different gas speeds depends from what you want (a over-rev bike or anything).

BUt if your engine is given (carb size. pipe etc), you have an exact gas speed in your intake, so if you want a good solution from this formula you have to measure the gas speed. However I count the it:

If the gas speed is approx 45 m/s than it is for 8653 1/min
If the gas speed is approx 60 m/s than is si for 11537 1/min

As you see the results are very different! BUt this revolution numbers not your maximum power rev numbers, these revolutions where these speeds are.

tiba_karotsu said:

ok i'll create a version just for you...

check it out in a few minutes..

it'll be called CarbSizeCalculator4.0.zip
the source code is also available for download

browni's computation is correct! the software has been updated, everyone can now compute backwards

btw... you're probably using AP/Tongti crank... with 11mm side bearings right?

Last edited:
I don't think that the program works fine, for example, i have a long stroke crank so i've putted the values s=43mm,b=47.6,rpm=8,gas speed=45, and the result was... What the hell?!? 8mm? then i've made the calcule with a calculator and the result was 24mm, so i presume that's something wrong, hope you can fix it...
cheers

Last edited:

nope it's just a CM 43mm crank with those 11mm thick crank bearings but i ditched those in favor of the genuine NTN crankshaft bearings. i don't trust the bearings that came with the crank 'coz it had too big ball bearings & big balls don't go well with high revs.

btw i think the result is right on as my Dio 54 doesn't rev that high, thanks for the info though.

8rpm? that's a really slow engine you have there...
try 8000rpm