carb size calculator

icedeocampo

accoding to BROWNI:

This is only a theoretical formula but you can use it for an estimate:

You can use this formula for the engine's maximal power revolution. In this revolution the gas speed must be 45-60 m/s. You can use the smaller value (45 m/s) if you want an engine with a good overreving characteristic, so you can rev up higher revolutions. You can use the 60 m/s if you want a very good engine at the "middle range".

carb diameter(mm)=square root[ (n * s * D^2)/(30 * v)]

n= maximal power revolution (1/min)
s=stoke (mm)
D=bore (mm)
v=gas speed (45-60 m/s)

The total area of the intake manifol must be 10-15% bigger than the carburator area! -> so if the carburator is 28 mm than the intake manifold is ~29,36-30,02 mm

I created a tool that computes that automatically:
(You need Microsoft .NET framework)

http://users.cjb.net/icedeocampo/

Last edited:
Advertisement - register to remove this

It doesn't work correct. My stroke is 39.2 and my bore is 47.6 but it says "invalid data"
When I fill in 39 and 47 it does work. If i filled it in correctly I should have a 28mm carb :W (and i do).

BTW: I think it's a very usefull tool :) . Ofcourse the best way to know is by testing, but the outcomes are pretty accurate :)

Hmm much better. But the carb sizes when whole numbers are filled in are more realistic I think. Engine displacement is nice btw ;). Now I should have a 30mm carb according to version 3.0

icedeocampo said:
hmm... but i think it's accurate.. coz a .6 difference in bore size makes a big difference

ppl please post here for comments so we can improve

this software doesn't work on my PC. What should I need?

F12 AC said:
It doesn't work correct. My stroke is 39.2 and my bore is 47.6 but it says "invalid data"
When I fill in 39 and 47 it does work. If i filled it in correctly I should have a 28mm carb :W (and i do).

BTW: I think it's a very usefull tool :) . Ofcourse the best way to know is by testing, but the outcomes are pretty accurate :)

Use , not .

ice the program doesn't work on this rented PC so i'll let you answer this for me; what would be my max power rpm with a 21mm carb on a Honda Dio 54cc with a bore/stroke of 40mm x 43mm?

tiba_karotsu said:
ice the program doesn't work on this rented PC so i'll let you answer this for me; what would be my max power rpm with a 21mm carb on a Honda Dio 54cc with a bore/stroke of 40mm x 43mm?

I don't think this formula works visa-versa, cause when you count your carb diameter from this formula you know your engine's approx maximal power revolution range (you calulate from the port timings, + the expansion chamber etc..). SO you can choose the carb size wiih different gas speeds depends from what you want (a over-rev bike or anything).

BUt if your engine is given (carb size. pipe etc), you have an exact gas speed in your intake, so if you want a good solution from this formula you have to measure the gas speed. However I count the it:

If the gas speed is approx 45 m/s than it is for 8653 1/min
If the gas speed is approx 60 m/s than is si for 11537 1/min

As you see the results are very different! BUt this revolution numbers not your maximum power rev numbers, these revolutions where these speeds are.

tiba_karotsu said:

ok i'll create a version just for you...

check it out in a few minutes..

it'll be called CarbSizeCalculator4.0.zip
the source code is also available for download

browni's computation is correct! the software has been updated, everyone can now compute backwards :D

btw... you're probably using AP/Tongti crank... with 11mm side bearings right?

Last edited:
I don't think that the program works fine, for example, i have a long stroke crank so i've putted the values s=43mm,b=47.6,rpm=8,gas speed=45, and the result was... What the hell?!? 8mm? then i've made the calcule with a calculator and the result was 24mm, so i presume that's something wrong, hope you can fix it...
cheers

Last edited:
icedeocampo said:
ok i'll create a version just for you...

check it out in a few minutes..

it'll be called CarbSizeCalculator4.0.zip
the source code is also available for download

browni's computation is correct! the software has been updated, everyone can now compute backwards :D

btw... you're probably using AP/Tongti crank... with 11mm side bearings right?

nope it's just a CM 43mm crank with those 11mm thick crank bearings but i ditched those in favor of the genuine NTN crankshaft bearings. i don't trust the bearings that came with the crank 'coz it had too big ball bearings & big balls don't go well with high revs. :D

btw i think the result is right on as my Dio 54 doesn't rev that high, thanks for the info though.

EatMyDust said:
I don't think that the program works fine, for example, i have a long stroke crank so i've putted the values s=43mm,b=47.6,rpm=8,gas speed=45, and the result was... What the hell?!? 8mm? then i've made the calcule with a calculator and the result was 24mm, so i presume that's something wrong, hope you can fix it...
cheers

8rpm? that's a really slow engine you have there...
try 8000rpm

Back