Big racing Small buget

Banksy

Ok.. heres the story I'm racing at the BMF moped endurance race this year, would like to be competative ( never going to win) I have a Yamaha neos and a Yamaha why, that port timing should I go for ? or should I just bite the bullet and go for a new cylinder? can only be 50cc. !!!

Carb size 12mm / 15mm 21mm ?

any help would be very gratefully recived.

Thanks, Graham

Advertisement - register to remove this

im listenng to this, search 50cc on here i have lots of posts as some of you may know. Using a racing 50cc u really do need the right pipe, cylinder wise you want a stage6 50cc, polini evo or mhr 50cc. I have a stage6 50cc and used with a laser x-pro i got 67mph (clock speed) which wasnt bad for a near stock engine. But the pipe didnt match so acceleration was like standard, although there was a rpm which is did work and hell did it have some power. Pipe wise i think you want a c16 or c20. You could port your stock cylinder (bin there) on the same setup it worked better than the racing cylinder but wasnt as powerful and top speed isnt quite the same but its close. bearing in mind was only my exhaust ported to a degree which i thought was right.

Btw what pipe cant you run on a 50cc racing, tried the x-pro did nothing (the nardo, shot, doppler will run nicely apparently but not best for performance so might aswell be same as x-pro) c16 manifold bit apparently too big for 50cc pipe, polini evo isnt road legal. What do people run their 50cc on?? and why cant the x-pro work properly.

Last edited:
tell us the rules of the category you wish to race in. the more info you supply the better we can think of the ways to help you.
OK the rules are it must be a 50cc twist and go, you can not increase the cc's but anything else goes (porting, exhaust, ignition, frame mods) any advice?

This is the actual race that I compeat in if you live in the UK have a go its realy good fun!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55Ci10Aphhs"]YouTube - Even more laps from BMF 2007 Moped Mania Mayhem[/ame]

ok so 50cc & anything goes huh, under a certain budget here is what i would run;

MHR 50cc LC (not the Team 50cc)
Polini Corsa crank
Polini Evo 50cc pipe
Dellorto PHBG19 or 21 carb
VForce3 reedvalve
Malossi Overrange kit
Delta clutch
Wing bell

i see that you're going to dirt track it.

HI, its a yamaha Minarelli based A/C engine.the track is a speedway track (shale) so its oval with 3 tyer walls, I would like to make most of the bits myself, I have the tecknical knowlage to machine and weld but I need some advice on portmaps and carb size.
I would like to make my own exhaust using the MOTA software, Nice little project !!!

holy shit...on -1.55 in the movie you see the newest type aprilia SR...in a dirt race!:eek:

overall seems like big fun to race that series!

How long is the endurance? I have experiece with MHR50AC in combination with a MHR50 or jolly moto50 exhaust. Porting..wel for a endurance I wouldn't make the radius of the exhaust port over 30mm (if you measure @ the portmap). And about the timing :

Transfer around 128 degrees
Exhaust around 188 degrees

With a liquid cooled, and the right exhaust you should take te exhaust port up to 192/194, and leeve the transferports the same as with the AC, maybe 130 degrees, but not higher than that! This in combination with a 19mm carb should run ok.

*edit* and if you're using a cilinder with boostports @ the exhaust side, i would time them a bit lower than the main exhaustport...2 degrees or something.

This race is 2 hours on saturday and 2 hours on sunday, the other that I'm thinking of doing is a 6 hour race !!!!!

are the timings durations?

on minarelli air cooled with no regulations other than cc
and a limited budget
keep the stock clutch and bell / u need good control on loose shale and the required bite rpm can be achieved by fitting cheap £4 h/d clutch springs
athena racing a/c 50 is basically an evo 50 kit for £80
stock crank should be fine if almost new or little miles or if budget stretches then a good crank for as little as £70
standard manifold and good reed valve for £25 that matches v force 3 as tested back to back on my dyno
21mm dellorto £55 and standard air box
polini speed control(variator/belt/2 sets rollers16x13/2 torque springs)£65
budget torq driver £25
if u pick up any cheap second hand race exhaust from newark or ebay it will make a good starting point and provide you with a silencer /hanging bracket/ex stub etc for you to use as components for designing your own pipe
alternatively a new pipe by endy which works well at around 11000rpm would be only £75
standard gearbox fine
ideally use the yamaha why 50 with big 16" wheels and knobblys

cheers Darrell 50cctuning.com

Ok this is what I have so far:

set of 3 different cluch springs
1500 and 2000 rpm contra spring
unrestriced CDI
Dodgy viper exhaust :(
loads of different weight rollers (need more testing time)
15 dellorto sha 1515 carb (Jets on order)
race variator from scooter asasins (ebay)
Squish set to 0.9mm

Are those prices from the shop or just a rough guess

my prices
how long u been doing bmf,i do british 50 endurance
from looks of circuit id guess max attainable speed is gonna be 40/50 so its more important to get the power down well and get the machine handlin well a grasstrack or speedway type design would be worth more at reducing lap times than a screaming motor ,also maximise on weight reduction
sha15 is really holding back power especially on air cooled

I've done the bmf for the last 3 years realy good fun!!! if you look at the video the bike that looks like a KX80 does around 60/70mph he does have a dyno in the back of this Van and takes it way to seriosly.

Hmmm interested in the cylinder and carb do you take paypal?

this is my buddy riding in to a tyre wall on my bike! it was the first time he had ever been on a bike.

[ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vZGktu7Te-0"]YouTube - Moped mania BMF tail ender 2007[/ame]

Back