Which is better carb?

DKNY

Hi!

I have 172ccm AC kit on sr150,and now i want to fit bigger carb.

Now i wonder which will give me better performance:
Malossi/Dell'orto PHBL 25mm or Stage6/Keihin PWK 24mm?

Some dyno test will be a plus

Thanks

Advertisement - register to remove this

DKNY said:
Hi!

Thanks

Y such a small carb you should at least go for a 28 with a cylinder size like that stage 6 pwk would work out nice.

DKNY said:
Hi!

Thanks

KOSO 34mm, if you cant find one. OKO 30mm will do...

Maybe you should try a Keihin 36mm. Or a Mikuni 36 TMX. These are used on a Cr 125 dirt bike from honda. (keihin on the KTM dirtbikes).

If you want a small carb, I also got great expirence with the Mikuni 24 TM carb. It is an Flat-slide carb, very short venturi. Great gas response. (also the same for the 36mm version, but the new series have a D-slide).

uff,why are you all for such a big carbs?I think those big carbs are not good for such a small reed block as sr150 has.Also, i'm scared of fuel consumpiton :D

All other guys who have even more tuned piaggio big bore engines then mine is,are happy with 25mm or 28mm.
My sr has only 172ccm cylinder,malossi reed block and multivar,the rest is stock

most of the small displacement scoots need to rev much higher to get the kind of power that their riders want. you have displacement. So save gas. I like the dellorto carbs but I hear that TM24 is good, though I've also heard it's more designed for 4 strokes. I don't know about that. But the phbl25 and 24 are smaller in height than the japanese carbs. So see what fits first.

Big carbs do not consume more gas. If they did. You would be running rich and slower. But big carbs can develop more power. And yes. More power means more gas. If you were to ride in exactly de same way as before with a bigger carb. Your consumption would be comparable. But you won't. We all tend to use all the available power if only to accelerate. And there comes the higher consumption. More power... More gas.
I always laught at posts that go like this... " My new bla bla kit has doubled my speed and acceleration. But my fuel consumption is now double ! How can I fix this ? "

Some further advice. Get the bigest diameter manifold that you can find for your scoot and then get a same diameter carb. It's a bit counter productive to mount a 34mm carb on a 28mm manifold.

Last edited:
ifyou are scared the fuel consumption, get a Keihin PE 24mm its a round slide carb. or if you want smaller get an OKO 21mm D-Slide..

For daily use, take a 25-28 mm carb. That will give clean power and will drive lovely.

If you want power, get a 38 Dell'Ortho flatside (from a rotax Max go-cart engine) or something like that.

Btw: Don't buy a 24 mm Stage6, those are really crappy.

25 Dell'Ortho is plug & play.

Big B NRG said:
For daily use, take a 25-28 mm carb. That will give clean power and will drive lovely.

If you want power, get a 38 Dell'Ortho flatside (from a rotax Max go-cart engine) or something like that.

Btw: Don't buy a 24 mm Stage6, those are really crappy.

25 Dell'Ortho is plug & play.

Huh...No carb is exactly plug & play for every setup, some changes will have to be made.

Dante'sZIP said:
Huh...No carb is exactly plug & play for every setup, some changes will have to be made.

Yes, but very few changes have to be made, to let it run good.

Oko can be more of a problem.

Back