what's the relationship between roller weights and torque/drive spring?

L_Bo

I understand the basics of each but don't understand the benefits of a heavier spring. Can't you just compensate with roller weights?

Example, with all things being the same, for arguments sake let's say;

1) 4gr roller = stock spring
2) 6 gr roller = 1500 spring
3) 8 gr roller = 2000 spring

Wouldn't each "concept" perform about the same? What advantage does a heavier torque spring give that can't be accomplished by lighter roller weights?

Last edited:
Advertisement - register to remove this

Correct me if I'm wrong but , as far as I know is that the stiffer the spring is , the lighter the rollers must be to compensate against the friction between the belt and the pulleys.

The springs only fuction is the keep the belt from slipping between the pulleys. The stiffer the spring , the more friction there is , and the more grip there is between the belt and pulleys. Grip = friction , means less HP.

The more friction there is between the belt en pulleys , the lesser the HP will be. That's why you need the right spring. Just strong enough to keep the belt from slipping , and just soft enough to have the most of power.

To compensate against the friction between the belt and the pulleys , you will need lighter rollers. If the rollers are to light , your rpm will be to high , and the belt might slip anyway. To heavy rollers , and your rpm will be to low , and you might not have enough power to compensate against the tougher spring , and accelerate.

Back