setting the squish??

Alex_ice

i have just professionaly siezed my mhr mep 70cc kit bits of metal every where only a tiny bit of piston ring left out of the two lol
any way im now going get a stage 6 racing kit seems prtetty good for the money i noticed that it comes with different base gaskets for differnt squish sizes, wot sort of size am i looking for? and wots the best way to measure it?

i was going to install the kit and put sum solder though the spark plug hole all the way till the edge and measure that once i have turned the engine over by hand

thaknx Alex

Advertisement - register to remove this

When i messure the squish i take a piece of soldering tin and shape it like a L.
When the cylinder is mounted u put the L shaped soldering tin down the hole where the spark plug shoul be. Then make sure the tin gets all the way out to the edge of the cumbustion chamber. Then press the kick starter a few times to press the tin flat. Then take the tin out, and then messure how thick it is with a sliding gauge. (Should be around 0,6mm)

Then change gaskets if the squish dosent fit.

Alex_ice said:
i have just professionaly siezed my mhr mep 70cc kit bits of metal every where only a tiny bit of piston ring left out of the two lol
any way im now going get a stage 6 racing kit seems prtetty good for the money i noticed that it comes with different base gaskets for differnt squish sizes, wot sort of size am i looking for? and wots the best way to measure it?

i was going to install the kit and put sum solder though the spark plug hole all the way till the edge and measure that once i have turned the engine over by hand

thaknx Alex

Dude, dont get so fused about it before you have the cylinder kit.
With the cylinder follow instructions. But im suer if they are germen only, which i doubt. But anyway the squish for Stage 6 Racing i 0,65mm or was it 0,75? Anyways i recormend 0,8, gives it a little longer life due to less strain on the pistion, and from experiens plenty of wheelie power.

Biohazard-[SF]- said:
Dude, dont get so fused about it before you have the cylinder kit.
With the cylinder follow instructions. But im suer if they are germen only, which i doubt. But anyway the squish for Stage 6 Racing i 0,65mm or was it 0,75? Anyways i recormend 0,8, gives it a little longer life due to less strain on the pistion, and from experiens plenty of wheelie power.
0.8mm are you joking? Thats a massive amount.

0.8 is so fuckin far off it's scary.....you're bike must run some low compression ratio mate...

I run the new polini EvO kit and the MKPR2 kit and I set them both at .55. Normally you're squish without any gaskets should be about .2 or .15, so go from there.

Digital calipers are the greatest thing since peanut butter huh guys?

FUracing8 said:
0.8 is so fuckin far off it's scary.....you're bike must run some low compression ratio mate...

I run the new polini EvO kit and the MKPR2 kit and I set them both at .55. Normally you're squish without any gaskets should be about .2 or .15, so go from there.

Digital calipers are the greatest thing since peanut butter huh guys?

yeah on my mk kit they said .5mm iirc. Id go with .6mm, .8 is mad, im surprized you would even get any compression with that much squish!

By the way, what are the squish calipars like from scooterattack? Bolts to the head and measures the squish. Suppose you cant get much more accurate than that!

I personally go at it by measuring the compresion. I like to get close to 150 PSI for pump gas.
Currently I read 145 PSI and measure 0.7 squish on my 96cc stroker.

Juan

0,8 is jsut fine
maybe its a little too big but i think for sure 0,7 is ok
its not all about compression all motocross bikes come with about 8:1 compression ratio and the 80cc's have no trouble making 24 hp or so

Back