Scooter Transmission CVT in Cars Now

Advertisement - register to remove this

Aloha, Why is a geared "scooter" such as a Yamaha YSR50 faster than our scooters? Should be slower as our CVT scooters can be tuned to stay right in the power band, but a Geared bike is never at its peak power band. frank

adas said:
Aloha, for those interested, car makers are starting to use the same CVT pulley-belt-system we use on our scooters. See link below. frank

Scooters are using the old Variomatic system.

Cars have the much more efficient CVT system with a belt of metal segments. The power transfer is made through pressing the belt, in stead of pulling it. Variation of the pulleys is not mechanical but steered by the computer (through oil pressure).

So it's a whole different system, only the principle is somewhat the same.

Yeah, there are lots of cars with CVT now. Mini Cooper, Nissan Maxima, Dodge Caliber, Honda Civic & Accord, Toyota Prius, Ford 500, Audi A4 & A3, and Im sure there are many more that I havent listed.

A car CVT is more complicated than our scoot transmissions. They dont have rollers, torque springs, or centrifugal clutches. They are basically controlled via hydraulics, and have a torque converter instead of a clutch.

While CVTs work great for us, I think time will tell how these new transmissions work out for the auto industry. They have been long plagued by short belt life, so I am really curious to see how long the huge Ford 500 will go before needing major service.

-Paul O.
sig9.gif

Malaguti Yesterday, MHR 70 kit, Technigas None, Multivar, Delorto PHBG 19
Kansas, USA, Minister of Information for MADTOTO SCOOTER CLUB

Back