Plasmabooster!

ive used Direct Hits, throttle response went up sharply. This was on a 80cc gearbike similar to the aprilia rs. Also there was no lag in gear changes after i ionstalled it.

The voltage isn't higher than a conventional system, it's just more efficient.
Whether it works or not I will find out myself. :)

PS What do you mean with a gap in the ignition cable? I can't see the point of that.

The disadvantage of the plasma saprkplug is the big radio frequency interference, so don't use this sparkplugs on the street, or you have to screen it with a steel "box".

The other disadvantage, is the sparkplug cap, you cannot use it anymore, you have to made a custom spark wire connection. Never touch the system under operation.

The capacitors are parallel connected to the saprkplug.! The distance between the capacitors are important (to avoid the ?crown discharge?)!!

If you use epoxy , the little PVC tube isn't necessary (use the right one, cause the sparkplug is very hot)!
The epoxy is recommended, if you don't use it, the capacitor's leg can easily break!
When you make the epoxy mold don't forget to stick down the insulator temporary, cause the insulator isn't smooth. You can't remove the epoxy from the sparkplug.

Try to find a sparkplug with the least resistance!

You need the followings:

-A capacitor with 30-40 kV Voltage, min 100-200pF capacity and min 100Mhz frequency
The author of the article found only a capacitor with 15 kV Voltage, thats why he used 4 pieces! If you can use better capaciotrs it's good! The whole system will be smaller.

-A copper ring/washer with ~12,5 mm internal diameter
the author used a (cutted) non-insulated terminal

-A copper ring/washer with 4 mm inner diameter
the author used a (cutted) non-insulated terminal

-A washer with 16 mm outer diameter and 4 mm inner diameter (insulated) not copper.

-50 ml epoxy

-a mold for the epoxy

-if you don't use epoxy you also need a PVC tube 16x2 mm length ~25 mm (depends from the sparkplug)

Last edited:
Only thing is.. the neck of the sparkplug needs to be free to dispose engine heat. When encapsulated in epoxy it can't loose its heat.
If I am going to try this, I won't be covering it up in epoxy for this reason.

Also the capacitors don't nessecarily have to be connected to the sparkplugs body. They can be connected to the cilinder head, or any other grounded piece. Offcourse connecting it as close as possible to the sprakplugs firing gap is recommended.

Assuming that the current wil raise from 0.02 ampere to 500 ampere, the spark duration will be 1/25000 of a conventional spark. That's a disadvantage that may balance out with the advantage.

I'm quite sceptical about any advantages.

But yes, in theory the faster the burnrate, the more efficient a combution engine works.
I think the spark does not have many influence on that, the mixture itself does.

Assuming that the current wil raise from 0.02 ampere to 500 ampere, the spark duration will be 1/25000 of a conventional spark. That's a disadvantage that may balance out with the advantage.

I'm quite sceptical about any advantages.

But yes, in theory the faster the burnrate, the more efficient a combution engine works.
I think the spark does not have many influence on that, the mixture itself does.

I see what you want to say, but this is not about spark duration. It's about effeciency. To convert the voltage to heat with the lowest loss!! The standard system can't exploit the voltage coming from the coil to the sparkplug. The resistance of the sparking system is to big, so the energy doesn't dissipate to heat!

Only thing is.. the neck of the sparkplug needs to be free to dispose engine heat. When encapsulated in epoxy it can't loose its heat.
If I am going to try this, I won't be covering it up in epoxy for this reason.

Also the capacitors don't nessecarily have to be connected to the sparkplugs body. They can be connected to the cilinder head, or any other grounded piece. Offcourse connecting it as close as possible to the sprakplugs firing gap is recommended.

I think you are better at eletronics but If I understand the article well, the capacitors and the sparkplug is a high frequency oscillating circuit! So the capacitors must be in that place!

I see what you want to say, but this is not about spark duration. It's about effeciency. To convert the voltage to heat with the lowest loss!! The standard system can't exploit the voltage coming from the coil to the sparkplug. The resistance of the sparking system is to big, so the energy doesn't dissipate to heat!

Do you have any idea how small the resistance of the sparking system is when compared with the resistance of the plug gap?
There is just no benefit in decreasing the restistance of the cables, cap, etc.

Also with this system the amount of heat will stay the same. The only difference is that it is unleashed in a shorter time, so the current will raise.

Yes, the spark will be stronger, but also shorter. When the mixture is ignited by the sparkplug the speed of the flame front will stay the same.

No, because the spark is shorter, the heat will be higher. In normal conditions the heat will be spread enduring the whole spark. A shorter spark means more heat in less time. The energy won't just disappear.

Do you have any idea how small the resistance of the sparking system is when compared with the resistance of the plug gap?
There is just no benefit in decreasing the restistance of the cables, cap, etc.

Also with this system the amount of heat will stay the same. The only difference is that it is unleashed in a shorter time, so the current will raise.

Yes, the spark will be stronger, but also shorter. When the mixture is ignited by the sparkplug the speed of the flame front will stay the same.

"the amount of heat will stay the same"
I don't want to argue with you, but I think you don't undersatnd this whole thing! The indicated heat isn't the same!! The current conversion to heat is much more efficiency!!!!

However you have to use a sparkplug with 0 ohm reistance, or if you don't find this type of plug, try to finsd a spark with very small resistance (it is avaible). Measure different type of sparkplugs and you will find it! And you don't use spark plug cap too. Finally you weill have a quite samll resistance system!!

If you still don't undersatnd it I can't help for you!!

Last edited:
This is this the same principle used on the Nology Hot wires, isn't it?

Hmm, not very similar, but the Nology wire is quite good too if you compare with the NGK race kabel (Nology is little bit expensive). Nology usese a capacitor in the spark wire. I have a nice red hot wire too.. :)

Hmm, not very similar, but the Nology wire is quite good too if you compare with the NGK race kabel (Nology is little bit expensive). Nology usese a capacitor in the spark wire. I have a nice red hot wire too.. :)

Thanks Browni! I mean Nology increases the spark...as well as this one isn't it?

Do you think it can be use BOTH things in combination?..any advantage?

Regards,

they are both essentilally the same thing. Both are plugs with capacitors wire in with them.

I think a bigger ignition coil and a race iridium plug would make more sense than any capacitor wire.

I don't think such system would increase the power of an engine. Not compared to a good ignition system that is properly set up.

"good ignition system"

The sparkplug and the spark wire are the part of the ignition system!!

However lot of small upgrade makes the bike better!

Back