Plasmabooster!

Browni

B.A.T tuning
Is there anybody who converted a standard sparkplug to a plasma sparking plug?? Or bought a finished product?

If you don't know what I am talk about here is a link:

http://www.directhits.com/howitworks2.html

There are for motorcycles / scooters too.

I don't know the price of those plugs, but I found an article for a cheaper home made version. I don't show you the article, because it isn't english, so you won't understand it, but it is very interesting).

Here is the builder's result:

Standard sparkplug:

http://szuts.com/plasmabooster/MVI_3558.AVI

Converted to high frekveny plasma:

http://szuts.com/plasmabooster/MVI_3559.AVI

It seems to be quite demonstrative !! You can have 10-15% more power!

He uses this parts:

IMG_3554.JPG

IMG_3553.JPG

IMG_3630.JPG

Last edited:
Advertisement - register to remove this

nice i must say!
can you post the article please?
im interested to know what size caps he uses
im going to strip a spark plug later for a little look

Why?

The fuel mixture insde a 2-stroke engine like a scooter only needs a small spark to ignite. The only thing this 'plasmabooster' will do is upper your combustion temperature, and have your sparkplugs wear off faster.

//Edit
After some reading it seems like the higher temprature would have the fuel ignite faster and better, this having a heavier 'explosion', thus gaining torque.

Why?

The fuel mixture insde a 2-stroke engine like a scooter only needs a small spark to ignite. The only thing this 'plasmabooster' will do is upper your combustion temperature, and have your sparkplugs wear off faster.

//Edit
After some reading it seems like the higher temprature would have the fuel ignite faster and better, this having a heavier 'explosion', thus gaining torque.

"I translate one of the each sentences"

Maybe it's surprising but the plasma arc saves the sparkplugs electrote so the spark plug has longer life!!

About the other thing you said:

I am not an electrical engineer, but an automotive engineer, and I don't agree with you about the "small spark is enough" theory..

You need heat for the internal combustion engine. And the plasma arc is more efficient.

Sorry I see you edited your post..

As i see it. (Only read a few articles about plasma sparkplugs) the advantage lays in the cumbustion speed.
Plasma sparkplugs creats intensive, and even spread heat, in no time, witch means that you can drive a less advancing ignition. This means more energy release per. "time-unit" and higher cylinder pressure.

Alsow i think the more even spread heat will give less flame travel and therby reduce the tendensy for "End-gasses" to detonate.

This is just commercial non-sence. It's the same as a small gap in you're ignition cable. Your only creating a higher voltage with the spark jumps over to the mass... It creates a bigger spark, but it doesn't give any bennefit. The fire-front inside the engine doesn't travel any faster by it...

So keep you're money in you're pocket... If it's realy that great, anybody would known it by now...

If you would have read the theory by clicking on the Next buttons on the bottom of http://www.directhits.com/howitworks2.html, you would have known the higher temperature would cause the fuel to burn more completely. It's like having a higher compression ratio; more fuel will ignite.

At least, thats the theort :p

@Jasper V
How exactly does this thing fit together? The sparkplug cap is not connected to the sparkplug head, but with the 4 capacitors with are conencted inline?. The fourth capacitor is conencted to the sparkplug itself?
How could they (dis)charge like this? :?

What language is the article in? Hungarian? I might try and find a translator.

Last edited:
@Jasper V
How exactly does this thing fit together? The sparkplug cap is not connected to the sparkplug head, but with the 4 capacitors with are conencted inline?. The fourth capacitor is conencted to the sparkplug itself?
How could they (dis)charge like this? :?
It's just a capacitor placed in parallel with the sparkpluggap.
Because of the very high voltage (30kV) he has to connect two 15kV capacitors in serie. The other two capacitors in parallel are needed to get the right capacity.

Plasma sparkplugs creats intensive, and even spread heat, in no time, witch means that you can drive a less advancing ignition. This means more energy release per. "time-unit" and higher cylinder pressure.

The total amount of energy stays the same. The energy is stored very shortly and close to the sparkplug, when the voltage is high enough the spark jumps over the gap and all the energy in the capacitor is released.

This is just commercial non-sence. It's the same as a small gap in you're ignition cable. Your only creating a higher voltage with the spark jumps over to the mass... It creates a bigger spark, but it doesn't give any bennefit. The fire-front inside the engine doesn't travel any faster by it...

So keep you're money in you're pocket... If it's realy that great, anybody would known it by now...
The voltage isn't higher than a conventional system, it's just more efficient.
Whether it works or not I will find out myself. :)

PS What do you mean with a gap in the ignition cable? I can't see the point of that.

I have to mension that the plasma sparkplugs i have read about is from another article than the one posted here.
They were constructed a little different.

But may its just 2 sides of the same story.

The total amount of energy stays the same.

Yes the total amount of energy stayes the same. But that amount will be spread over a less time.
that means more energy per. time-unit

Thats why i think that the cumbustion will be done mutch quicker and thereby raising the engine power.

The total amount og work done to the piston will be the same, but work per time-unit will raise.
At least thats my theory :p

Hmm.. seems to be logical.
At first I thougt the spartplug cap would be connected to the first capacitor, wich was in seriewith the other 3, and the last one would be connected to the spark plug head. But they wouldn't charge that way.
But they are just connected to the spark-plugs base.

Quite a good idea, I will give it a try myself too as soon as I got my engine running again. Should have some capasitors from photocamera flashlights lying around :)

The voltage isn't higher than a conventional system, it's just more efficient.
Whether it works or not I will find out myself. :)

PS What do you mean with a gap in the ignition cable? I can't see the point of that.

"The voltage isn't higher than a conventional system, it's just more efficient."

Yes you are right and this is the biggest advantage!!

Back