Crankshaft repair. Is it possible ?

pb12

Hi,

I have a damaged crankshaft that I think was due to a bearing failure.

crank.jpg

As well as the obvious damage on the flywheel, the shaft where the bearing sits, is also worn away.. Probably as much as 1mm of missing steel.
I know the obvious solution is a new crankshaft but I am told by my local dealer that the crankshaft is now unavailable (Honda Dio AF35-15xxxxxx the later model horizontal engined Dio).

Would a engine machine shop be likely to be able to repair such damage?

Would there be other option to retrofit another model crankshaft (I am very much a novice home mechanic)?

Any other suggestions to get my stock bike back on the road?

Phil

Advertisement - register to remove this

HI BUDDY, If you can I would replace the crank. you could get it welded and re-ground to size but the heating and grinding process would be more expensive than a new part.

have a look at www.50cc.nl thay have a crank for 70 euros

Last edited:
HI BUDDY, If you can I would replace the crank. you could get it welded and re-ground to size but the heating and grinding process would be more expensive than a new part.

have a look at www.50cc.nl thay have a crank for 70 euros

Thanks. Unfortuately any online cranks I have been able to find are not for my model Dio. (which was an import from Japan) and I am in New Zealand
I have been able to find what I think is the correct crank on the Japanese 'Ebay' http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f66022113
However they appear not to ship internationally.
I am going to try other dealers here to try to access the part as I am suspicious that my dealer says it is not available yet I can see it on a Japanese website. I think they are not interested in getting my business.

However. It is good to know that a crankshaft repair maybe possible if I can not access the new part.

Phil

Hi,

I managed to get an aftermarket crank from Japan. It took a bit of doing as my Japanese is not good.
Scoot is now all together and running.
Thanks for the replies.

Phil

time to sell your af35 live dio. and buy a yamaha jog.

Honda Dio horizontal engines suck, very limited tuning parts, get a Yamaha Jog instead.

Not a bad idea. What Jog models are the most tuneable, or are all running Minarelli motors ?

About the Dio. I guess I learned the hard way. When I brought it I thought all Dio's were the same.

Phil

Not a bad idea. What Jog models are the most tuneable, or are all running Minarelli motors ?

About the Dio. I guess I learned the hard way. When I brought it I thought all Dio's were the same.

Phil

all the Yamaha Jog scooters come with the minarelli horizontal engine, it is the short version, however there is a slight change between the '99 below & 2000 up models as the reedcage & intake manifold on the 2000 & up models are bigger, also the crankcase internals has been redesigned for better flow from the reedcage to the cylinder transfer ports but apart from that everything else is interchangeable.

engine code for '99 & below engines is 3KJ, engine code for the 2000 & up is 5BM, you can check them out at the back of the crankcase just under where the rear shock is mounted. 3KJ has a lot more choices in terms of intake manifolds & reedvalves.

you can also convert it from air cooled to water cooled if you are seriously tuning it for more power, water pump & water cooled cylinder kits are a bolt on fit, just add hoses & radiator.

how big are you? most spacious is the Yamaha Jog Aprio, most sporty looking is the Super Jog ZR.

Back