BW,Zuma, Aerox..problems breaking belts??

montezuma

After modding my scoot, I couldn't keep a belt on it. Even the kevlar would shred and snap. It was found to be the stock torque driver. There is a lip on the torque driver pulley, and it seems the belt is getting sucked down on this, because the belt starts to get a groove on the underside that matches this lip. I purchased an overrange, and it solved this and any belt dust problems. Well, I don't want the overrange anymore, (I want my electric start back), and I see that Polini and Malossi make a torque driver replacement pulley. Does anybody know if these stop the belt problem? I'm sure that the BW is the same as the Zuma, and the Aerox must be kind 0f close as well. Any help would be great..............

I'm keep the other engine mods. Just getting a different vario, and I would have the stock torque driver pulley with different spring.

Advertisement - register to remove this

When you say overrange do you mean you purchased the whole system with variator, driven pulley, belt etc? or just one part. You can just use the pully and your old variator, or a different one. But you'll have to find a belt that will be work right. My understanding is that the Overrange uses a longer belt due to the increase in pulley diameters (for greater RANGE :) ). So if you only use one of the larger diameters you wouldn't need as long of a belt. I think the rear pulley has the greatest difference in diameter so maybe you could still get away with the same special overrange belt. Or maybe a belt from another scooter. The short case minarelli engine, like the ones from a jog 50, vino, malaguti f10 and yesterday, and many of the chinese clones, is longer than the standard long case belt. But just by a cm or two. But I'm not sure on the width of the overrange. You may have to try a variety of belts to get one to work, and possibly with some sacrafice in range. But in my opinion, electric start is not that great. Sure it's nice, but if you have your engine set up well and your choke switch is easy to get at, kick starting should be no problem. If it's hard to kick start, something could be changed to make it easy to kick start and would probably run better too!

brookespeed, I had the complete overrange with belt. It was nice, and it did kick start the first time, it just wasn't the direction I had planned on going. It took a little speed, and I didn't want to mess with gears. I sold it, got fair money for it. I am de-tuning, and don't need it, just want more reliable belt life. Even the stock tranny had the beginnings of belt destruction.

Eoin, if you use the electric start with the O/R, you don't get full range out of the vario. Or is there another O/R that is different than the Malossi?

It "took speed"? It got slower with the overrange? I'd imagine it wasn't set up right the motor couldn't pull it.

But I can COMPLETELY understand wanting a more stock performance. It's not always fun to have a loud bike with rapid takeoffs and high RPMs all the time. A small Mina engined scoot with just a cylinder kit is usually what I find the most rewarding in terms of just USING the scooter. I just can't leave well enough alone.

LOL, yeah, it was fun while it lasted. I have an R1, I don't know why I had to mess with the scooter. The overrnage did make it slower, but ton's more on the bottom. I had a good motor, but I did have to use heavy weights, like 6 or 7, otherwise it wouldn't even go. I'm guessing my pipe (RS) was the rpm limitation. Going to try a mulitvar on the front, just don't know what to do on the rear besides stock. Stock torque driver seemed very fast, just destroyed the belt. I know of MANY other people that this happens to. If I can find a cure, like maybe the 2 other pulleys that are available, I could sell MANY of them.

I've never had a problem with the zuma stock driven pulley eating belts. But you could try one from another scooter or mini atv. if you search ebay for the seller steamoman, he has a bunch of eton, sundiro, polaris, kasea parts and I know he has a new driven clutch unit. If you use the multivar one, and the belt is the same width it should work but you should order a vino belt from Bikebandit and the belt will just ride low on the rear pulley when it's stopped/idling so you won't get all the improved range, but it should still be a bit more low range than stock.

Thanks for the tips. As far as the zuma goes, every guy I know that has mods (more than just a pipe), has issues with the belt. I'm not sure if I choose the multivar, or another vario. I was running 3.7 rollers, which if anything, should have limited the amount the belt goes into the rear pulley. I'll just keep experimenting.

i never had any problems with my belt on my zuma with the stock torque driver and my bike is far from stock. Just get the 33mm torque driver and try it out.

montezuma said:
Thanks for the tips. As far as the zuma goes, every guy I know that has mods (more than just a pipe), has issues with the belt. I'm not sure if I choose the multivar, or another vario. I was running 3.7 rollers, which if anything, should have limited the amount the belt goes into the rear pulley. I'll just keep experimenting.

Is the Polini 33mm? I dont even know what the stock one is, but I've seen Malossi and Polini offer them. I'm sure they don't have the "dogleg" groove in them, which should offer better shifting, I guess I'll order one and find out.

BW's are common here in Portugal with lots of mods and never heard about that problem. Just stay away from the normal Polini belts (kevlar ones are very good).
Even 128mm Speed drive on BW's is possible with a little carter work without shreading the belt.

Back