Averted catastrofy

Astrolopitec

Just a reminder to always inspect your parts when you have the chance. And try to spot problems before they bite you.
I was installing my 14/42 gears when I had the luck to spot this...

crack.jpg

A clutch bell explosion is one of the most dangerous mechanical failures that can happen on a scooter. The piece only had 800km on a stock 50cc. Definitely a manufacture fault. I can just imagine what would have happened with the new 96cc motor.

Juan

Advertisement - register to remove this

Thats why I will never use the standard clutch bell!

I've also seen what an exploding clutch can do.
At a meeting in Denmark back in 2003 a Runner was on the dyno (People was standing around the dyno - When the scooter reached 160km/h some parts of the clutch came flying out through the vario cover.
Luckyli no-one was hit by the parts!

/Swobber

Yeah, been there, done that :)

Crack on a clutch spotted one sunny day when changing contrast spring, it had about 5k km.
Piston crack spotted when changing the gasket due to leak, it`s a due plus piston done about 7 k km of road (ab)use.

qox4ds.jpg

qox4pw.jpg

Last edited:
narx said:
Yeah, been there, done that :)

Crack on a clutch spotted one sunny day when changing contrast spring, it had about 5k km.
Piston crack spotted when changing the gasket due to leak, it`s a due plus piston done about 7 k km of road (ab)use.

qox4ds.jpg

qox4pw.jpg

You were lucky to spot that cylinder crack in time...
I was'nt... cost me a cylinder and a complete tear down.

eskirt.jpg

And... When wrist pin bearings go bad... Another cylinder bites the dust.

cyltop.jpg

cylside.jpg

The members of this forum could provably fill a hard drive with pictures of blown pistons.

Juan

Astrolopitec said:
You were lucky to spot that cylinder crack in time...
I was'nt... cost me a cylinder and a complete tear down.

And... When wrist pin bearings go bad... Another cylinder bites the dust.

The members of this forum could provably fill a hard drive with pictures of blown pistons.
Juan

Sure i was lucky and damn happy, same as you with the clutch bell.

It`s not a big deal to blow a piston or whatever part it is , u have to know when u have to replace it before it`s too late and with little luck u can see it can be done :)

Back