70cc Dragster not running

xzburnoutzx

Italjet Dragster
Hi,
Consulted with DME3 for a while and hes on vocation so I made a topic. I have a Italjet Dragster 70ccm. Italjet Alu-ECO 12mm pen, S6 crank, 19mm MHR carb, C16 and so on. Assembled the engine. Fired it up - runs perfect on idle, starts like a charm from the first kick no mater how long it has not run. If I pull the throttle it does not revv really and just goes bwooap, bwooap and so on. So It gives a feeling like it is getting extra air from somewhere or too much gas. Then I looked at the engine seals...the ignition side on was totally out, but It started perfectly? So I cleaned it, put it in and was hoping for something, but still the same thing. Checked the seal again, it was perfectly in. The variator side one is also in. I have total run with it some 13km. Just for laughs I checked the cylinder, everything was ok. The manifold is tightly on, carb on perfectly with a 98 MJ. If I hold my hand in front of the carb air intake hole it just dies on me, so no extra air. If I close the gas drain plug(made from a 650 ccm bike one) it doesn´t do anything special too. Just runs for a while and then dies of no fuel. Plug is a B9HVX - right lenght. And also I had a terrible mess with the wireing so I made a direct line to the cdi and then coil. Spark is MASSIVE. Although I can´t figure out why I´m getting electroquited sometimes from the frame and crankcase. Could be problem be just something electrical? Everything in the ignition is properly wired according to the manual.

So anything guys?

Advertisement - register to remove this

You tried cleaning you carb out, as this was the problem when this happened to my mate.

Also have you got a project page for your dragster so i can see all the goodies you got for it?

I don´t think I have made one, I will in the future. All of the parts a brand new, as I said 13km run time on them. The problem has been from the beginning...

Setup:

Italkit ALU-ECO 12mm
Stage 6 HPC 12mm
Yasuni C16
Malossi MHR 19mm
Malossi E5
SKF C4
Polini Speed Control Kit
Stage 6 CNC drive
Stage 6 Torque Control clutch
Malossi Wingbell
Polini 4.9g rollers
Orange S6 clutch springs
Polini 15% Contra Spring
S6 carbon reeds
NGK B9HVX
Polini Belt

nice list!! do you find its wierd when leaning over/turning?

Anywho can you get the bike going over idle? A 98 jet might be too big try something in the low 80's range. What colours the plug? If black and wet thats your prob, you want it a chocolate brown and have you used your mixture screw its adjusts your mixrange mixture and when its in the right position the idle its at its highest point (without touching the idle speed) eg: when the mixture screw is wrong the idle is trundling along but when you make the mixture better the idle increased.

Infact i had a prob like this make sure your ht cap is on and wire is securely in the coil

This might be irrelevant, but it's strange about the
electric shocks, so there is a possibility that it is an
electrical problem.

Sounds like your case is not grounded to the frame.

I don´t know about this ground issue. 1 wire has to go to ground. I put it next to the coil on the frame, should I put it against the crankcase. But these shocks are really odd, because how can I get electroquted with rubber boots on dry soil. About the plug. It is almost white! But does nothing at all with a 110 MJ for instance. Couldn´t even get it to move. Runns on idle without no problem. So it is a bit brownish but not as It is supposed to be. On a Minarelli LC does anyone know where the ground wire should come from the ignition? According to the wiring manual there is only 1 black wire supposed to go to ground...

I have a 100cc Aerox in the garage, has it got the same coil? I can try another one...

So about the wiring.

I have no 2nd wire on the coil going to the ground. Only that it is bolted against the frame. The two wires going away from the coil I haven´t connected IMO(R/Y, W). It shows that there is something going directly from the ignition to the ground. There is no such wire, also just against the frame IMO. Everything else is like on the diagram...

f_fgggm_68c8fed.png

Last edited:
looked on my drag and theres a black sleve coming out of the seat area, one wire goes you the electric start (yellow) and the other (black) earths out on the water pump cover, aswell as this you have one on the coil. Make sure that wire is pushed into the coil properly if need be hold it whilst testing.

looked on my drag and theres a black sleve coming out of the seat area, one wire goes you the electric start (yellow) and the other (black) earths out on the water pump cover, aswell as this you have one on the coil. Make sure that wire is pushed into the coil properly if need be hold it whilst testing.

Hi, Do you have 2 wires in the coil. I have only 1 wire, 1 coming from the CDI. I have no idea, because I removed everything else, So I dont think I have anything to connect to the starter. Manual labour :D Basically I have only the wires from the ignition - going to the CDI - then the coil and then ignition. Is the ignition supposed to get ground from somewhere besides being bolted to the crankcase...

Basically I found out, that the ignition is semi fu**ed up. The spark dissapears sometimes. Which Innerrotor to go for? I don´t care about the lights. What shall happen with the waterpump? Do the innerrotos have holes for it...?

Greets xz...

on my coil i got a wire going to the cdi and another which earths on the frame, is there a lump of metal or anything which suggests its fallen off. Did you try pushing the HT lead wire into the coil and revvin at the same time. Youll prob find your cdi has gone, mind did a month back.

Anyone know something about the MVT Millenium Ignition? Does it have a coil and CDI with it? - compared to Italkit, is it better or worse...And how can I use my waterpump if I buy a innerrotor. And which one is the best....?

i would go for the malossi selectra ignition (comes with the adapter plate for the waterpump) but cannot use lights , i think it would work nicely on your setup , good luck
.nick

i would go for the malossi selectra ignition (comes with the adapter plate for the waterpump) but cannot use lights , i think it would work nicely on your setup , good luck
.nick

Does it also have the bolts for it, cuz mine are fucked up...
Ill go for the Selletra then, I really haven´t seen any racing ignition besides the Italkit for myself. I don´t need the lights. Does the new Polini 80w ignition also have the waterpump adapter or sth. About the selletra, Is it just plug and play or do I need to measure something or sth. Haven´t really done any research about mounting a innerrotor. Some If you have the time, please let me know...

yeh it should come with the nessasary parts for fitting , i would imagen that that on the polini ignition the studs the screw into the standard ignition to turn the waterpump fit onto the polini aswell , also on the selectra you will have to set the timing (can do this by a using a micrometer from s-a) , you should be able to fit the ignition quite easily as it isnt to complicated just setting the timing is the hardest part .
.nick

About the ground thing;

Use a big fat copper wire between your engine(block) and your frame, that's how your ground your scooter.

Try that before buying a new ignition.

Just read your PM :)
Indeed, try a thick wire for the ground. The bwoap may also be a carburation problem. With the E5 filter, I think the jetting should be bigger.

Don't realy know which ignition the Italjet has, it could be a yamaha ignition or a ducati.

Jea, really odd. I have a Yamaha logo on the flywheel, but the CDI and Coil have Ducati written all over them. Well I´m kinda sick today, so I didn´t manage to check weather the problem was with the ground. But I have a feeling that It just might be. I´ll let you know what happens tomorrow.

Hi,

Thanks Big! Hooked up a 35mm2 cable from the frame to the exhaust side connection and the engine is revving nicely. The plug was kinda white with a 98 MJ, so I canged to a 110. Didn´t try after that but I think its ok. Didn´t make any test runs cuz I can´t get my brakes to work.

Greets xz...

Back