piaggio MP3 info

Mark_king

Hi all Im from Perth Western Australia.
Im planing on buying a piaggio MP3 soon and what im after is some info about it and its bigger brothers. Here in Aust we have to spend a year on a bike/scooter with a engine no bigger than a 250cc but I am a big guy and dont like the lack of power a 250 has and im wondering if anyone knows if the MP3 250 and its bigger brothers the 400 and 500cc share the same chassis. If they do I am thinking about swaping the engine for the bigger 400cc unit. This way I could have a 250cc on paper to keep within the law and keep it insured without them knowing any better. Also are there tuning options for the 250 piaggio engine around? Thanks.

Advertisement - register to remove this

i presume that is a 4stroke scooter, if so then maybe Malossi has a big bore kit for that engine to punch it up to 300cc but with simple mods like an aftermarket vario, exhaust pipe & some tuning that 250 will run like a champ.

I think I saw a MP3 500 on a picture from Eicma. Othervise tune it a bit. Even without cylinder tuning you can get a fast bike. Karb. Cam. and exhaust gives you power and vario, gearup kit and rearpulley puts it to the use.

mp3 IS ugly, but has the best brakes I have ever had the pleasure of abusing in either 2-wheel or 4-wheel vehicle!

As far as I know the chassis is the same for all models. The engines are different classes though (250 is Quasar, 400/500 is Master), so you cant put a 400 or 500 jug on the 250 carters. There are also electrics that are different.

Honestly, it may be cheaper to ride the 250 and then trade up. A complete 500 motor with electrics is not cheap even when bought off Ebay from a wrecked scoot. I know a guy who paid $800US (~600 euro) for a 250 motor and that didnt include the ignition or ECU for the fuel injection.

Back