Variator for XS1P37QMA-2A

ku_hi

Hello,
anyone found or tried any aftermarket variator like Polini or Malossi for XS1P37QMA-2A engine ?
I cant find variator for my Sym jet 14 , only original. I am not saying that original is bad , but on my previous scooters I have better results with aftermarket variators.
Few weeks ago I made a big mistake and order Polini variator set 241.704 but its not combatible.
Polini has 95mm diameter , stock sym variator is 105mm in diameter.
I send them email but still did not get replay.
I was writing to Malossi also. for his model 5114206
They replayed me today. They did not mention diameter (but from looking from pictures they looks smaller than original) but they said that diameter is not important that there are also other thinks to check out. I really did not understand what they mean.
I think that diameter is important.
Does anyone have more experience than me with variator on new Sym , Peugeot... euro 4 scooters ?

Advertisement - register to remove this

Hi, I've no experience whatsoever with Sym 4T variator but I did a quik lookup for Malossi 5114206 dimension of the variator half pulley it's 101mm. So it's anyway bigger than the Polini 95mm you mention. Assuming the Malossi kit is compatible with your Sym.
_20201215_173358.JPG

Well,
I received and test variator.
Diameter is 99mm (not 101mm) so sligtly smaller than stock.
Rollers which came with multivar are 16x13 - 6g and are too light.
6g - max 40km/h - engine is screaming.
7g - max 50km/h
7.7g- max 56km/h
I am waiting for heavier weight so I will made some testing then.
After all I am little disapointed. Top speed did not improved, acceleration maybe slightly better.
After all - not worth it !

Is your SYM carburettor electronic restricted anyway? If so you ain't achieve much more speed/performance whatever variokit you install, I think.

Ecu is unlocked. (before unlocking 50 was max speed).
Sym Jet 14 is preety heavy scooter - around 115kg and I am right now maybe few kilos more than that :),
so I think that max speed is ok.
Maybe I just expect too much from new variator.
One thing is on my mind now. Maybe gearbox/final drive is "shorter" on this scooters.
Just 1 thing annoying me right now most.
Cant figure why Malossi variator need so much heavier weights.
Both variators use same 16x13 weights. On stock variator optimal weight is in range 6 - 6.5g.
On Malossi 7.7 (heaviest I got at home) is close but still not optimal.
6g wich came with Malossi is way to light. Obviously channels in variators are way different.

Last edited:
In fact I had the same issue with the Malossi on a two stroke Minarelli. Expecting to much, engine screaming at first run etc. Remember also I had to put heavier weights than usual. Seems that Malossi is a light vario kit to compensate with heavy rollers. Currently in my Piaggio I rather use the original vario above any Malossi / Polini.

Last edited:
Yes I know what you mean.
When I first try it on scooter - well, my first reaction was to sell it at once.
But I will keep it. I will probably tune it better with heavier weights and used it .
Or keep it as spare part. Still not decide.
I am totaly same opinion like you . If original vario is not old or dameged - its above of any aftermarket.

Actually I sold too many those kits after first try :)
I only had great experiences with Doppler oversized vario and Power1 vario but only in combination with Malossi torque driver and still had to upgrade my scooter with more power.
For now I'm lucky with the good performance of original Piaggio vario.

Last edited:
Back