Modify the reich pump for variable speeds!

Zmod

Hello!
I wonder if anyone of you have made a variabel switch for the Reich waterpump! So you can just by a little turn adjust how much it will pump? This got to be possible! Like to put a Potentiometer i think its name is? To adjust how much Ampere it gets?

Thanks!

Advertisement - register to remove this

sure you can try something which goes from about 0-10 ohm with a power rating of about 10 watts
i made a fancier system for my electric pump :D
i've got 3 digital speeds at the press of a button with a micro-controller
its uses whats called PWM basically it just switches the pump on and off very quickly to get the right speeds
to get 75% total you just go on for 1ms then off for 250us, something like that you see

Zmod said:
Hello!
I wonder if anyone of you have made a variabel switch for the Reich waterpump! So you can just by a little turn adjust how much it will pump? This got to be possible! Like to put a Potentiometer i think its name is? To adjust how much Ampere it gets?

Thanks!

Better off restricting the flow than slowing the motor.

Jasper V said:
Why?
Give me one good reason.

Before I go any further may I ask why you are trying to slow the pump? I had better understand what you are trying to attempt before I try to give ONE GOOD REASON.

With slowing the pump, you'll also affect the flow.
And with a PWM based regulator you'll also save energy, so you can use a smaller battery = less weight.

I mainly want to slow the flow cause when i let the engine warm up to a 55 degree celsius the pump spins att full rpm and it takes longer time i think when it pumps 15 liters / min then just slowing it down like the cranskhaft does in that way i'll save power and time and fuel oil. =)

Make a switch. Keep the pump off untill u reach 55 degree celcius, switch the pump on ;). Think this is much easier (unless I missed a part of your story).

Aloha, I put my pump on my headlight circuit. I know, I know,
I may get flamed for this, but it works perfect. It is a very hi
amp draw pump (boat bilge pump 24L/min @ 20watts) and it
was killing my battery on the regulated side. Now I guess it
barely spins at idle and spins crazy at hi rpm (14-15+ volts).
Seems to work like a charm on the unregulated side. frank.

Last edited:
Zmod said:
I mainly want to slow the flow cause when i let the engine warm up to a 55 degree celsius the pump spins att full rpm and it takes longer time i think when it pumps 15 liters / min then just slowing it down like the cranskhaft does in that way i'll save power and time and fuel oil. =)

Makes sense but at the same time does water in a pot boil faster when you don't stir it vs when you stir it? It still has to reach boiling to boil.

I can agree with the attempt to save battery power as you do make more power when the system is not putting electrical load on the motor. (Dyno tested by myself. The gain is minute but you gain faster reving more so than power.) But if you go to a smaller battery you will be charging it more often so the weight benifit may not outweight the load on the charging system/motor.

ex-racer#2 said:
Makes sense but at the same time does water in a pot boil faster when you don't stir it vs when you stir it? It still has to reach boiling to boil.
If the flow is low the temperature in the system will vary more. The cilinder will get warmer and the radiator can do his work better.
With a high flow the temperature in the whole system is more equal.

I use batteries that are very light and when its empty, I switch it for a full one.
Charging is done within a hour.

Back