Hard to put in gears ??

joewright91

Ive have got an gear up kit on order and was wondering if it is hard to install yourself, i havent worked on an engine before, only thing ive done is change the rollers. I dont really want to pay overpriced garages to do it, if i could do it myself. How difficult is it ?, and if i was to do it would i have to take all the block off to do it or could i just take the case off and do it from there?, if its taking the block off garages will take the piss with the price. Thanks.

Advertisement - register to remove this

Usually you don't have to pull-out all the engine, just work on the tranny house and it is not hard, similar to change your rollers....I suggest to look for the installation instructionf of product on line, this way you'll see how easy it is.

later,

joewright91 said:
Ive have got an gear up kit on order and was wondering if it is hard to install yourself, i havent worked on an engine before, only thing ive done is change the rollers. I dont really want to pay overpriced garages to do it, if i could do it myself. How difficult is it ?, and if i was to do it would i have to take all the block off to do it or could i just take the case off and do it from there?, if its taking the block off garages will take the piss with the price. Thanks.

If you buy a gear kit without shaft (only gears) you should remove and reinstall the gears to the shaft with a tool, so you need a vice or a robust two/three arm universal (bearing) puller.

Browni said:
If you buy a gear kit without shaft (only gears) you should remove and reinstall the gears to the shaft with a tool, so you need a vice or a robust two/three arm universal (bearing) puller.

Ive bought a topgear gear kit and from what i hear they have a shaft with them, its the polini ones that dont have it i heard.

Are the gears behind the variator ?
And do you reckon there will be instruction of how to install it in the box it comes in ?

the gear are behind the clutch. there is another case built into the transmission case which is held on by 4 or so allen head bolts. make sure you drain the gear oil before you start as it makes quite a nice mess everywhere if you dont

Aussie_Rider said:
the gear are behind the clutch. there is another case built into the transmission case which is held on by 4 or so allen head bolts. make sure you drain the gear oil before you start as it makes quite a nice mess everywhere if you dont

Will i need to take the variator off to do it ? because i havent got a variator lock and i dont want to damage anything by jamming it. Also if its only the clutch i need to take off to stop the back wheel spinning when doin the nut can i just take it off the stand and get someone to hold the front brake so that i can get it off. One last question is this job easy and are there anythings ive got to watch out for ?

Cruz_e_Silva said:
You will need a Press to take your original wheel shaft from the gear. Polini ones don't bring wheel axles...

Not to insult your intelligence but further up i said i'd bought a topgear kit which come with a wheel shaft.

Please people answer my last post. Thanks.

Aussie_Rider said:
umm, maybe you meant back brake but what ever. you could just get someone to hold the back brake on while you undo the clutch nut...that would be fine.

Is changing the gears done by taking off the case and the 2nd case (with allen keys hole) and slipping out the old gears and putting the new ones in, or is it more technical than that ?

is it primary gears that add top end or secondary, ive been told primary and ive just ordered a goddamn secondary and im after more top end.

Cheers

It doesn't matter much wich gear you change, as long as they don't differ too much. The combination of the primary and secndary determine the top end. This depends on the RF (reduction factor).
Eventhough your new gears come with a rear-shaft, you will have to get the smaller original gear off the middle shaft, and press the new one on. But u might just take this shaft to a local garage and hem them do just that, instead of taking the whole engine.

Here's a picture for your convenience
vertanding.gif

Achterpoelie = rea/clutch pully
Primaire vertanding = primary gears
Secundaire vertanding = secondary gears
Achteras = rearwheel shaft

Mind the middle shaft where you will have to change the secondary smaller gear off.

Ive just had a go at doing the gearing on my bike but i got stuck at taking the clutch off, a person earlier said it would be fine to hold the brake to get the clutch nut off, but i did that and the wheel didnt move but the clutch started to and wouldnt come loose. Is there any kind of universal tool that you can use and that can be bought cheap, because i noticed that behind the rounded plate thing there is holes in the clutch and wondering if there is a spanner that can stop it moving so i can use a spanner on the nut. Thanks.

yes, you mean the clutch bell, i was going to order the tool from scooter attack but i saw someone using this tool:

its really useful instead of buying the tools from scooter attack, go to any store where they sell machines etc. they have specific sized, just choose the most appropiate one. just hold it on the holes and hold it tight then u can easily untight the nut. cost me 4 €

Mr.Aerox said:
yes, you mean the clutch bell, i was going to order the tool from scooter attack but i saw someone using this tool:

its really useful instead of buying the tools from scooter attack, go to any store where they sell machines etc. they have specific sized, just choose the most appropiate one. just hold it on the holes and hold it tight then u can easily untight the nut. cost me 4 €

Wont that rag the clutch bells holes apart, because the nut is on really tight. Im guessing your talking about the little spanner thing, any idea what they are called ? Thanks.

what do you mean the little spanner ? well i gues you are talking about that tool shaped as a "Y", i cirlced it.
and no, it wont damage the clutchbell, i have no idea wat the tool is called but ask in the shops the tool to take off the discs of that machine. once u have that tool the nut wont be that hard, you will see. but be carefull, the first time i opened it i noticed that the nut is like wrong way round at least on my aerox cus instead of anticlockwise thats normally for loosening the nut it was getting tighter so to unloosen it its clockwise.

i use a metal peice of metal 10inch long 1 inch wide with two bolts going though on the right place of the bell, use a spanner and JOB DONE
thats bugdet for ya

Hey ive found out that you have to take the whole hear case off for my bike because the isnt a panel behind my clutch so i have to take the whole back wheel off, just wondering if i have to be careful taking the gear casing off because its on tight and there seems to be a seal, will i be ok tapping flat head screw drivers into the gap to pop it off ?

Back