carb question.

rydah

whats the diff between the keihin TA-09 carb and a regular keihin pwk carb. does the TA have advantages over the pwk?

Advertisement - register to remove this

there is a guy on here selling one, he wants 130euros for it. i'll pass on that deal and look for someone selling one cheaper or untill i find out what the going rate is on them.

I'm wondering the same, but with Mikuni Tm28ss. Does it have any advantage over any other flatslide carb?
Or does the carbs. with an angeled throttlehouse have any advantages compared to regular carbs. ?
Regards

The advantage I can come up with is that you can have the reedvalve and carb throat in-line, that way you can get a more even flow to all the reedpetals.
Also when you don't need a bend on the intake manifold that means you can have a much shorter manifold which can increase flow on high revs.

The advantage I can come up with is that you can have the reedvalve and carb throat in-line, that way you can get a more even flow to all the reedpetals.
Also when you don't need a bend on the intake manifold that means you can have a much shorter manifold which can increase flow on high revs.

sounds good.

there is a guy on here selling one, he wants 130euros for it. i'll pass on that deal and look for someone selling one cheaper or untill i find out what the going rate is on them.

130 euros will be the best deal you can get. most of them go for 180 minimum.

For even shorter, why not use the diaphram, go kart, chainsaw, type carb. You could mount that right on top of the reed block and no need for a manifold. I have heard it done, just never heard much about the results. frank

Something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Till...ashZitem200087725566QQitemZ200087725566QQrdZ1

I asked the same question on another forum. Answer was that
partial throttle response/mixture is not as good on these carbs.

I'd still like to try one one day though, just to see.

i really have no idea, never had my hands on one before, they are very rare and pretty old and most of the times worn out. if you come across one in good condition your lucky! it does need some modification before it can be used on a 2stroke engine, not sure what but needs to be converted.

i really have no idea, never had my hands on one before, they are very rare and pretty old and most of the times worn out. if you come across one in good condition your lucky! it does need some modification before it can be used on a 2stroke engine, not sure what but needs to be converted.

dude the bike that it came from is a 2stroke (NS400R).

They use very diferent jets.You may find them in a Honda dealer.
Reaction is great in all rpm range and brutal in standstill aceleration. It was one of my best boughts.
You only need to tune the needle a bit and the outlet.

They use very diferent jets.You may find them in a Honda dealer.
Reaction is great in all rpm range and brutal in standstill aceleration. It was one of my best boughts.
You only need to tune the needle a bit and the outlet.

lol, thanks for the info, i will be buying one then very soon. also what sizes do they come in, or is there just one size. also what needle are you running and what did you do to the outlet.

Mine is a VD 26mm but there is 26-32mm depending on what bike was it from.
Because mine was 26mm and the carb body is for until 32mm I had to reduce the outlet side of the carb from 32 to 26mm. Original needle is for 133cc cilinder so too thick for only 70cc engine. I use original one tunned because there are no more parts for this carbs, only jets. The needle has no circlip either, it's fixed type.

dude the bike that it came from is a 2stroke (NS400R).

We know that, but like said, you need to fill up 32mm part and mill it out to 28mm, complete length.

Otherwise it's very hard to get them adjusted right. TA-09 use different jets then PWK.

I have had a gocart carb on my scooter (Ibea). Preformed fine and easy to work with, because you do not need to change jets (just turn screws).
With that carb I did 20.1 hp on my old setup (Speed6T), so they work well.

If you want something like a gocart carb, get a proper one like Ibea, JHC, Barioni etc.

And not the walbro / tillitson stuff, that's a waste of money.

The advantage of these (semi) drop stream carbs is that you can create a far shorter inlet, which is good for power on high rpm.
The "rule" is that a longer inlet gives more power on low rpm and a short inlet gives more power on high rpm.

That's why a spacer between the manifold and membrane can sometimes be one big difference.

About the difference between the Mikuni TM28SS and the normal Tm28 is that the 28ss is much easier to set up.

With the TM28, you have to change gastube/needle/and some other stuff to make it work poperly.

Last edited:
Back