Which is best : Polini, Malossi, Hebo, ect.

Originally posted by sam3
Hey this all sounds quite interesting, stummbled upon this looking for electro plating! Joel are you involved with scooter tuning then, I personally I'd agree that the bore size of Speeds 90cc engine would make it illegal though, but if you are the Vice President of racing I guess you can do that? Anyway it's quite interesting to read the forum as I find engine tuning quite interesting as we do some out here in the UK.

Sam

I am indeed involved with scootertuning and racing for several years.
And I still think it's very strange how a nicasil plated cylinder with a liner of 0.05mm can wear out 1mm...

Yes Joel ..... sorry can't put the .. over your e!

I wasn't going to mention that one, but for classes such as 125gp's which I have been involved with you can't bore your cylinder to the next oversize as this is illegal. In addition if the cylinder is worn through the nickasil that much then this is a major problem????

My experience is that plating firms can easily build up new plating to match the standard bore, so there is no need to go to the next oversize! I did think it a bit odd that but hey there are many ways to skin a cat I suppose!

Sam

Yes you are correct again, a nickasil cylinder will not wear that much.

You Guys have made me pull out all my logged notes now. Here is the story. Our re-nickasil cylinders have not been used yet. Our re-sleeved cylinder with a cast liner is the one on the bike now. When we first came up with is idea we could not find anybody in Europe to do this modification. Only BDK Race Engineering said they could re-nickasil plate & provide a piston to match. I waited over 2 years for that block and they never done it. So we had to settle for a re-sleeved cylinder block with a cast liner.

I than came across a company in USA that said they could do it, but they had never did a cylinder block that small and getting a piston 51mm with a 12mm rist pin may be a problem for them. Anyway, they were able to get a Wisco Piston to work with this modification.

Actually, the nikial plating on these cylinders are far better than those from Polini, Malossi, Hebo, ect. It will not chip or flake. Example, I have seen those factory kits nickasil chip sometimes when you modify the exhaust port bigger. These new re-bored cylinders won't. The quality seems a bit beeter to me.

Speed

Originally posted by Speed
Yes you are correct again, a nickasil cylinder will not wear that much.

You Guys have made me pull out all my logged notes now. Here is the story. Our re-nickasil cylinders have not been used yet. Our re-sleeved cylinder with a cast liner is the one on the bike now. When we first came up with is idea we could not find anybody in Europe to do this modification. Only BDK Race Engineering said they could re-nickasil plate & provide a piston to match. I waited over 2 years for that block and they never done it. So we had to settle for a re-sleeved cylinder block with a cast liner.

I than came across a company in USA that said they could do it, but they had never did a cylinder block that small and getting a piston 51mm with a 12mm rist pin may be a problem for them. Anyway, they were able to get a Wisco Piston to work with this modification.

Actually, the nikial plating on these cylinders are far better than those from Polini, Malossi, Hebo, ect. It will not chip or flake. Example, I have seen those factory kits nickasil chip sometimes when you modify the exhaust port bigger. These new re-bored cylinders won't. The quality seems a bit beeter to me.

Speed

Ok, I think I understand your story now.
A 51mm piston for your specifications is quite impossible, so you took the 52mm piston.
So actually you have to much volume, but as long as nobody is making any trouble you'll keep it this way.

Nice to see my tuning/race buddy Joel (+..) noticing the surplus of cc's :) You didn't mention it, when we where mailing earlier on. I was not awake enough to see it myself :)

I hope you are not planning to use the ordered exhaust on this enormous cilindervolume :)

Can you by the way tell us something about the way you restored the flowangle of the ports and the overall shape of the channels? I have nice ideas about this, maybe we could discuss them...

grtz,

Ivo

Back