GY6 Performance...... and how to make them run good

DownTownMotorSp

We Fix Em All
What Do you do? What valve clearance, roller weights, Milling of the head or cylinder, clutch springs.......... What parts do you like and what do you dislike? why? Help all us GY6 lovers out.

Advertisement - register to remove this

For better or worse, I think that most people in the high-end scooter tuning scene are going to prefer to have a Piaggo or Minarelli 2-stroke engine. I'm not saying the GY6 doesn't have tuning potential, but the 2 strokes are more common in the tuning scene. They can also usually be made to go faster than most 4 strokes.

Airsal does have a new 82cc cylinder for the Kymco 50cc 4t engines. This is one thing that I'm eager to try. :)

~Josh

I have a piaggio also but here in CA no one has a piaggio. Everyone has GY6 scooters. There are some really cool parts on the market for them. Scooter GURU from PR has done some cool thing with them. I think you will see the GY6 Scene growing soon

WE have been working on some hard core performance parts for the Gy6. We have Nitrous kits. Custom 63mm high compression pistons made by JE. We have 2mm thick cylinder spacers for running stroker crankshafts, along with the longer timing chain and modified chain tensioner that is need to run the spacer as well.

We have a full service machine shop. WE bore out engine cases for big bore kits and can punch out stock cylinders for high compression 59mm cast pistons that work great.

We also have a great porting program that has shown gains of up to 30% more flow over the stock castings. (the porting is not about removing material, but add it in the right places.)

There are a few more things we have in the cooker that will be done in the near future.

For better or worse, I think that most people in the high-end scooter tuning scene are going to prefer to have a Piaggo or Minarelli 2-stroke engine. I'm not saying the GY6 doesn't have tuning potential, but the 2 strokes are more common in the tuning scene. They can also usually be made to go faster than most 4 strokes.

Airsal does have a new 82cc cylinder for the Kymco 50cc 4t engines. This is one thing that I'm eager to try. :)

~Josh

Well I can update you on that kit. They took a 50mm taiwanese KH piston and cut a groove in it. The barrell is standard height, and the one I had was more like a 'cake', it had bubbles all over the place so bad the gaskets could never seal it. The clearance was also fckd, piston was stuck in the barrell.
Overall the impression it left on me was a very low quality kit just like the 2stoke kits they made 10 years ago.
If you install it and run it in areas where it gets colder than 35degrees C you'll find that the compression is way too high for the starter motor and battery to be able to start it.

Well I can update you on that kit. They took a 50mm taiwanese KH piston and cut a groove in it. The barrell is standard height, and the one I had was more like a 'cake', it had bubbles all over the place so bad the gaskets could never seal it. The clearance was also fckd, piston was stuck in the barrell.
Overall the impression it left on me was a very low quality kit just like the 2stoke kits they made 10 years ago.
If you install it and run it in areas where it gets colder than 35degrees C you'll find that the compression is way too high for the starter motor and battery to be able to start it.

In the past 4 years I have used a lot of Airsal cylinders, and on only one of many was there a problem, and the plating was chipped in a spot when I got it. I'm not sure about the 4t cylinders because I haven't used it yet. Therefore I can't speak anything of it, but I would be surprised if it was poor quality though. I use Airsal on my Super 9 because it's a better value than the cast-iron Malossi and Metrakit cylinders... bigger ports (even though cleaning the ports is a good idea) higher durations, and aluminum are what made me change from the Malossi to the Airsal.

~Josh

Back