drag 80cc...what kind of cylinder?

Big bore? I spoke to the owner of this 89.3 cc veteranscooter dragbike on a drag ewent in Sweden. It has a Gilera touring moped engine and IAME kart cylinder, the carb is a IBEA 34 mm slide and is sitting right in the block ( the red thing is filter ). The crank is a Kawasaki KX 80 and the drivesystem is a variatorsystem from Piaggo. It sounded nice @ 16 500 rpm untill the clutch broke...
http://groups.msn.com/ndhop/toatinnationals.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=337

Maybe...but you are speaking of another bike I supose.

The one above has Minarelli Horizontal carter, RM cilinder and Keihin PWK carb without filter for what it can be seen.

Last edited:
the drag minarelli 85cc do only 6.8???????
and with time of 6.8 is a champion of tournament???????

i can't see the photo of the piaggio 85cc

nrg69 said:
the drag minarelli 85cc do only 6.8???????
and with time of 6.8 is a champion of tournament???????

i can't see the photo of the piaggio 85cc

Measured times in Holland are at least 0.500 sec longer because of the reaction time included.
So to compare the time with a italian time for example, it's 6.3 sec.

Styggve said:
Big bore? I spoke to the owner of this 89.3 cc veteranscooter dragbike on a drag ewent in Sweden. It has a Gilera touring moped engine and IAME kart cylinder, the carb is a IBEA 34 mm slide and is sitting right in the block ( the red thing is filter ). The crank is a Kawasaki KX 80 and the drivesystem is a variatorsystem from Piaggo. It sounded nice @ 16 500 rpm untill the clutch broke...
http://groups.msn.com/ndhop/toatinnationals.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=337

Photo doesn't work.

nrg69 said:
sorry but i haven't the photos..
i delete it on my pc.
who have any photos,please post it! :)

24 ps is very poor...
here in italy the best machine 70cc n the sprint 150 have 24-24.5ps
the best 80cc have about 29ps

for next sprint championship i want to do a drag 80cc...but if the motor with cross cylinder do 24ps...i take a 2fast!!!!

2fast has 24+ps in holland too but not 29 :X
how do you get the 29ps on the backwheel without any "slip"?(don't know if this is a english word )
or do they slip in the beginning and have 29 ps at a speed of 100km/h or something?

I'm not from Europe, and don't really have too much experience with some of these light weight drag bike frames that I've seen in those pictures, but I do know alot about making scooter engines go really fast. Personally, my friend and I have built a 70cc MK powered minerelli engine that put out 23.8 rear wheel horsepower. The "slip" that 2F4R talked about can only be solved by doing one thing that I've found. A really old guy that built mobylettes to race in France in the 70's taught me, that for drag racing, use the tightest belt that you can fit on the engine, meaning that once the clutches and belt heat up, it will stretch half an inch or so, so that for extra grip on low end, or takeoff, the belt will be super tight as to not let it slip, but once the bike takes off and there is rotation on the wheel, the belt will stretch and will not break. He did reccomend changing belts after every 4/5 drag races of 1/8 mile or more. I have only tried this in 3 bikes, and after 8 races, the belts did snap. I was using polini kevlar belts, but they did do exactly what the old man told me. The launch off the start line was unreal, the rear wheel would break loose from the pavement and actually 'peel' rubber until about 25 kph when it made good traction. Top speed was 135-145 kph in less than 400 meters. Oh, the motor was on a Beta Tempo frame, with 16" wheels.

My 2fast sprinter doesn't suffer from a lot slip in the pulleys, just because I use the Polini Evolution variator, rear pulleys and belt.
No special tricks, just using the Polini parts.

When I fully open the throttle from standstill, the back end of my sprinter becomes totally unstable because of enormous wheelspin.
To accelerate "clean" I must slowly open the throttle to a full open position at +/- 40 km/h.
The 2fast setup gives enormous power, too much to bring on the road under 40 km/h in my case.

Look at these movies of my sprinter:
http://forum.scooterforum.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7722
http://forum.scooterforum.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7723

When we did open the throttle wide open from standstill, the Beta Tempo flipped over. One time, when tuning, the throttle became stuck when the bike was turned off. When my friend pushed the kickstarter to feel the motor compression and did not know this, the bike went right up the wall in the garage and broke the frame in half. No more Beta Tempo super scooter anymore :(

When will the 2F4R 70cc minerelli cylinder kit be available for foreign purchase Joel ? if you have the information that is...... info down here in Bermuda says they are ready and can be purchased, but from here, I learn that it is still being tested and no one really knows if it is ready or not.

FUracing8 said:
When will the 2F4R 70cc minerelli cylinder kit be available for foreign purchase Joel ? if you have the information that is...... info down here in Bermuda says they are ready and can be purchased, but from here, I learn that it is still being tested and no one really knows if it is ready or not.

I don't know, I've emailed the guy who developes and produces the cylinders but didn't get an answer yet.

Well when you do, could you please post a thread on it so that some of us will be able to find out? I have the contact info, but it's hard to get people to take you seriously when you're from bermuda sometimes and he never got back to me about it. I'd really appreciate it man, and I know alot of other people would to. Thanks.

i have a beta tempo and it does the same thing, flip at stand still... my throttle also got stuck in an off position and when i kick started it, my freind was standing right infront of the bike, caught the front wheal right in the chest and fell into a wall a few feet behind him...it was funny as hell after we found out he was alright...i cant hit the throttle till30kph orso because of the pealing and automatic wheallies...

furacing- what belt did u use and what front clutch and pullies did u use? i have polini everything with c20 pipe and 24 koso d-slide... for no slip on the belt did u have to run a tight clutch setting and a light weight roller for the clutches to slip or what?i need some type of slip because i use secondary gearwheals and have to get into a powerband from a standstill? any suggestions on my engine???

Well lilplaya, I can't give away all of the tricks, but depending on what you're doin, sometimes real light clutch weights work really well......that's all I can say about that. But you like secondary gearwheels, so I dunno but I understand why. If you're gonna come off that hill, tighten that tension spring up and maybe go with a little softer rear clutch setting, so it will pull a little longer than you'd like on a flat. Also, medium heavy weights. To get that non-slip, I used the largest torque drive I could fit in the casing. Sometimes you can get one off an old peice of crap bike you find at the dump. I found that stock axis ones work if you shave your casing and use spacers on the bell. I cut a whole out in my kickstarter casing so the whole bell is exposed for cooling also. We don't use this on the race scooters at the track, but that's for drag racing.

I ended up findin the best trick was to sit down with a bunch of belts, and in the case of the malossi over-ranges, I used a malossi belt that was the same diameter or very very close, but was atleast 3/4 of an inch smaller than normal. It's because you get that stretch when they get hot. They were super hard to put on, had to pull both clutches apart to take it off or put it on. Tried Polini, Malossi, and Hebo belts, the malossi's lasted the longest, but cost the most! :) Give it a try and see what you think. You can try alot with it, cause you know that the belt is already tight when you're touching the throttle. Go easy on startups though, no burnouts either!

Back