Difference between preload and stiffnes

Advertisement - register to remove this

Astrolopitec said:
Hi
On a clutch such as a Delta. Is there a difference between increasing the preload or putting stiffer springs ?

Just like a shock spring the clutch springs work in a range. If you drew a curve of resistance the preloaded one may have a initial resistance higher but then would work liniar after that. The higher rate spring would not only have a higher initial resistance to expansion but continue to resist at a higher rate. I am not at home so I can't draw comparison curves to show the overlap between a soft spring, preloaded soft and a higher resitance with and without preload. I would suggest trying the preload as it costs nothing and then adding higher "weight" springs as you continue testing. It may take a while. Also springs will "relax" or soften slightly as they are used for the first little bit.

ex-racer#2 said:
Just like a shock spring the clutch springs work in a range. If you drew a curve of resistance the preloaded one may have a initial resistance higher but then would work liniar after that. The higher rate spring would not only have a higher initial resistance to expansion but continue to resist at a higher rate. I am not at home so I can't draw comparison curves to show the overlap between a soft spring, preloaded soft and a higher resitance with and without preload. I would suggest trying the preload as it costs nothing and then adding higher "weight" springs as you continue testing. It may take a while. Also springs will "relax" or soften slightly as they are used for the first little bit.

Thanks !
I undrestand your response perfectly.

Back