Crank Bearing Video

Areomyst

Scootin' America!
'Alo friends,

I've got a couple of videos showing the crankshaft bearings being installed into the carters.

Part 1 http://www.scooterinvasion.net/techdata/vid/p1010167.mov
Part 2 http://www.scooterinvasion.net/techdata/vid/p1010169.mov

I have a few more coming. I know this is very well known information to many of the people on these forums, but people who haven't done it yet might like to see. :)

I'm sure there will be some people who disagree or have a better way, but this is better than nothing in my honest opinion. I've done many crankshaft replacments using these methods and they work pretty well for what I do.

We'll see when I get some more time I will post a few more (uploads on DSL are slow). Too bad the other carter dosen't fit into the little oven! :D

Advertisement - register to remove this

Good Video...

Good to show a first timer not to BANG!!! but it would be nice to see how you would show the other casing.... DO you use a blowtorch to heat that 1 up?

Otherwise great idea!

Where in the USA are you?
Marky

DO you use a blowtorch to heat that 1 up?

Actually, I do. I'm not ashamed of it either. :) People advise against using propane to heat bearings and crankcases because it is so easy to destroy the bearing by overheating it. There is a proper way to use propane... the Reginal Service Manager for Marshin Power passed this on to me a while back. I've been using it every since.

I welded together an old small diameter drive boss to a large washer and then welded a bolt to the other side, so I can insert it into an electric drill. I heat the washer with the propane torch, with the drill slowly turning it on the opposite side. This keeps the heat distribution fairly equal, and does not damage the bearing. The washer covers the balls in the bearing, so the flame from the torch cannot reach them. It only takes a few quick minutes to heat the inner race of the bearing so that it is adequate to insert the crankshaft with no force. Basicly, you're heating up the washer/boss tool and letting the heat transfer to the bearing with no flame contacting the bearing whatsoever.

Hey, it's better than a 22oz hammer! :D

I have a video of that coming also, but the batteries in the camera are dead now. :( Perhaps later. Hopefully folks will at least wait to see the video before they flame me for being trigger happy with propane. ;)

Where in the USA are you?

I'm in Greensboro, North Carolina.

Thanks for the positive comments. :)

Well...what I do is to heat the bearings in a electric oven, then I can insert them very easy in the crankshaft and use a propane torch to heat up the cases....

Well...what I do is to heat the bearings in a electric oven, then I can insert them very easy in the crankshaft and use a propane torch to heat up the cases....

You better heat up the crankcase first, put the bearings in, then heat up de case+bearings, them mount the shaft in it.

I'm in Greensboro, North Carolina.

Thanks for the positive comments. :)[/QUOTE]

Sup man..im in Charlotte ,North Carolina...I was going to try to make it to the rally in greensboro this weekend,but im out with a broken hip for a few weeks...I do plan on attending your August meet though.We should get up and ride sometime,espically if your in Charlotte.

Video was great, thanks!

I have never done a bearing replacement, but should
be somewhere in the near future. Nice to see how
easily it can be done.

I was going to try to make it to the rally in greensboro this weekend

You heard about Scooter Invasion's rally, or was it some other one? That's pretty amazing if it was the Scooter Invasion meet since we're meeting on a European forum. :D Small world huh?

PM Me, I'll give you my contact info and you do the same, we'll keep in touch. :) Do you know the guys at Scooter Vita in Swannanoa? They're pretty cool.

I have a few more videos ready, but I probably won't upload them untill either tomorrow morning or sometime early next week when I have broadband access to my site...

Great use for the toaster oven indeed. :)
It would be really cool to have a stand-alone section in our English area of this site where folks could upload how-to videos and/or articles. It is quite difficult to navigate through the non-english part where a ton of this stuff already exist.

scootertrog

Back