Welding Carters

xzburnoutzx

Italjet Dragster
Hi guys,

A friend of mines Yamaha BWs has a 10cm crack in the variator side carter. It is between the clutch and the variator - running down about 10cm or so. Is welding an option? Well anyway thoughts on reparis could be helpful. Tnx dudes... Its quite urgent because he has to go away for the rest of summer.

Advertisement - register to remove this

The iron carters is made of ain't pure. Without expensive equipment you will never get a weld that will hold. Eventueally, the carter ill break.
Save yourself the troubles (and costs) and buy a new one.

xzburnoutzx said:
Hi guys,

A friend of mines Yamaha BWs has a 10cm crack in the variator side carter. It is between the clutch and the variator - running down about 10cm or so. Is welding an option? Well anyway thoughts on reparis could be helpful. Tnx dudes... Its quite urgent because he has to go away for the rest of summer.

I don'T know why everybody recommend you the new one, a good welder can repair it (an AC TIG welding machine required), it will be 100% safe again. Do you have all of the broken parts?

After the welding you can grind the engine case and you won't see it.

A welding costs cheaper!

No parts are lost. There is just a crack. Nothing has broken away. At first he´ll try welding and after welding the crack there will be a plate welded on top of the crack - that should reinforce it enough. Dont you think?

Aloha, yes just weld the crack. You can even brace or plate the inside to make it stronger, and out of view, but I would think it may cost 50 Euro or more. On this forum under Minarelli Marktplaats, there are several carters for sale and also on ebay for this price range. frank

xzburnoutzx said:
No parts are lost. There is just a crack. Nothing has broken away. At first he´ll try welding and after welding the crack there will be a plate welded on top of the crack - that should reinforce it enough. Dont you think?
Like I said before, you won't get a holding weld without expensive equipment (like a TIG welding device).

Why are you repeating yourself? He can bring it to a welder with the necessary equipment and let him do it. There is no need to buy a new carter.

David said:
Why are you repeating yourself? He can bring it to a welder with the necessary equipment and let him do it. There is no need to buy a new carter.

Yes! You are right! :) And no need to buy a welding machine! :)

Cipher said:
Like I said before, you won't get a holding weld without expensive equipment (like a TIG welding device).

TIG Welding device dont actually mean anything to me. Wont it be enough if he takes it to a guy ho welds aluminium?

Aloha, any experienced welder can do it. Just ask if he can weld alloys. If he looks puzzled when you ask him if he has a TIG welder, then run away. TIG is no mystery and is VERY common to a welding shop. frank

Back