Variator stuck at top.

KnightRideRebel

So I have a 2012 taotao vip future champion 50cc. It has about 2k miles/3.6k km. I took off the variator case to change the belt. I didnt have the tools at the time to remove the variator nut, so I just ran the belt over the flywheel.

For some reason, I dont know exactly, before i put the new belt on i wanted to check the pulleys and cluches. And I squeezed the variator from its low gear point to the high gear point, and it would not return like it was supposed to.

So I kind of thought it would return when the new belt was installed. Well it didnt. And now it starts as if it were in 3rd gear and wont stay idling or let me take off.

What did I do? What could be wrong that would cause it to do that? And what do I need to do to fix it?

Advertisement - register to remove this

I think the rollers inside the variator are out of place, maybe even the sliders. Please open the variator and check to prevent damage,
Greets,

So I had took ff the variator and found the that one of the slider tabs had gotten a slight chip causing the slider to break apart and caused a roller to jam. I have a new variator (along with a some extra goods) on order and should be back on the road in no time.

Back