turbo on 50cc bike.

hi mate

you seem to now what you are doing

but that picture doesn't show me anything

can you make me a better picture, i would be very intrested in this project

It shows the turbo and what the size is like, which is all I intended to show. The turbo model is a KKK KP31. It's the worlds smallest automotive turbo, spins at 275,000 rpm at the top end of it's compressor map. I can't show you how it's mounted, because it's not mounted to this exhaust yet, I had it mounted originally to a HM70 exhaust, but decided to try something a little different, when it's mounted up to the Polini EVO pipe I'll take some more pictures.

This is just a turbo sucking the turbine ? If so this would not work as it would create more drag to initialy boost up the turbine equaling in no boost, then when it got to equal pressure/rpm ratio it will be spinning at the same speed = no power increase.

Unless you have something to power the compressor housing (exhaust side) you wont get any power increase and this will result in actual loss of power due to the time you will be waiting for the turbo to spool up.

Post some more pics, And excuse me if you are powering this from the exhaust, as id sure like to see 40hp from a 70cc cylinder.

Good luck!

I'm missing something. How do the return pulses from the
pipe go through a turbo rotor that's spinning the wrong way?

Last edited:
I guess I shouldn't have taken the picture of it sitting on the pipe, apparently people are thinking that's the way it is mounted, which is not the case. I'll take some more pictures of the turbo by itself to not confuse anyone. And yes it will be powered by the exhaust.

Last edited:
I'm missing something. How do the return pulses from the
pipe go through a turbo rotor that's spinning the wrong way?

Mount the turbo on the stinger pipe.
Then the pipe will work just as it did without the turbo mounted just that the turbine will build up a different pressure in the pipe so a different stingerdimension will probably be needed.
Pulses that are in the stinger are "lost" anyway for the engine...

Mount the turbo on the stinger pipe.
Then the pipe will work just as it did without the turbo mounted just that the turbine will build up a different pressure in the pipe so a different stingerdimension will probably be needed.
Pulses that are in the stinger are "lost" anyway for the engine...

Thanks ronken, there should be very little energy left after
the stinger.. but I guess we'll see. Look forward to seeing
the project develop.

This will be the second time I've had this working on this same scooter. The first time it worked just fine mounted in place of the silencer. It spooled up at around 10000 rpm's or so. I didn't dyno the old setup, but it would easily get to 80mph at less than half throttle. With the taller tire I'm running now and the the extra revs from the polini pipe, over 100 mph should be easy.

This will be the second time I've had this working on this same scooter. The first time it worked just fine mounted in place of the silencer. It spooled up at around 10000 rpm's or so. I didn't dyno the old setup, but it would easily get to 80mph at less than half throttle. With the taller tire I'm running now and the the extra revs from the polini pipe, over 100 mph should be easy.
Could u post some more pics plz.
Or even a video :D

The oil pump is inside the sidecover of the carter located behind the variator. It runs from the crank and a small belt provides the momentum needed to turn the pump.

piaggio_vario_7.jpg

flowchart for kp31

Hi, do any of you guys have the flowchart to the smart car 800cc turbo diesel turbo? I'm looking for it, this is the turbo that russya is using. Thanks in advance!

you can check ebay for the yamaha seca or honda motorcycle turbos, those turbos are really small. they are about the size of a coffee cup.

Back