Ruima piston kits (82cc a-c / 90cc l-c) for Minarelli/Yamaha 50cc horizontal

StormBug

Hi all,

I have a 2nd hand scooter (Bug Bandit). It had a 70cc kit in (don't know which brand atm) which crapped itself the other day. The rest of the scooter is stock-standard afaik. Will ask the mech when he rips it apart. Top speed was 70km/h.

So, now I have to decide which to replace the 70cc kit with, and the choices are:

- Malossi 70cc kit (About $400 AUD)
- Ruima 82cc kit (about $170 AUD)
- Ruima 90cc liquid-cooled kit via ebay (probably about $400 AUD)

One thing I just noticed though, when getting the links together for the ebay stuff, is that Scooter_Wolfpack (who had the 70cc, 82cc, 90cc and lots more goodies on sale, with 99.8% good feedback), has no more items on sale.... yet this Quad_Squad guy (the link to the 82cc kit above) has EXACTLY the same format and text and product (just with diff logo on the pic) as Scooter_Wolfpack did, which leads me to believe it's one and the same person (or at least the same group). Quad_Squad is supposed to be based in Canada, but I have heard about Chinese sellers on ebay who pretend they are Canadian etc. Hmmm.... makes me distrust the stuff on ebay..... but I did contact a number of buyers of Scooter_Wolfpacks kits, and about 3 replied who were happy with the quality of what they'd bought from him (I`m big on research), so it must be real products.

Anyway, out of those three options, which would you buy? Although the 90cc kit sounds tempting, I believe you have to also install some sort of water pump as well, whereas the 82cc needs nothing else installed (but I would get a larger fan and better exhaust at least, to help it.... and in the future a better carb and variator kit).

So atm I`m leaning towards the 82cc kit, and it's just the reliability that I'm worried about. If it's good (and the feedback I`ve heard is positive so far), then it would offer a better price/performance than the 70cc Malossi.

Your thoughts?

I'm not a mechanic so you'll have to keep it simple for me :)

Advertisement - register to remove this

Also found this 82cc KM Racing kit by the same seller (who I'm 99% sure is the same seller as Scooter_Wolfpack as their payment details and shipping days are the same).

Is this supposed to be better than the Ruima one?

And what is a stroker or race crank??

As my bike is for road use, I need it to be as reliable as possible. I know the Ruima is cast-iron, so I`m assuming this is the same. I don't want any Aluminium racing kit.

Back