piaggio vs minarelli

lilplaya_bm

y does everyone think that piaggio is better then minarelli??? simply because of the parts that are made for them or is it the engine in general....
if there was all polini minarelli engine how would it compare to a all polini piaggio engine?

Advertisement - register to remove this

all the opinions are divided on this subject,.. one thinks mina is much better, the other only want's to touch a pia engine,.. so it's just based on previous experience and what you perform with your scooter's engine. If your goal is 15 Bhp with an Mina engine.. and you only get 12, you are easily temped to go to a Pia engine.. but if you get 18 Bhp you swear by Mina

Piaggio engines are simply engineered better.
Most vital elements are overdimensioned more than Minarelli, so they can take more power load.
You can make the Minarelli engine run strong too, but you need to put in more work.

The crank; yes
The bearings; not in the last year. They have put some korean shit in, so they regularly fail.
Well, if an stock engine or a slightly tuned one is what one needs, then both engines are quite the same.

A Couple of other things....

Also, these motors perfom differently because they are different sizes....
A piaggio motor on a zip has a 10in on wheels, and the distance from the crank to the rear wheel is shorter...
when compared to a 491's 13in wheels and longer distance from crank to wheel then the piaggio motor...
So it is hard to compare them...
Marky

markybda said:
Also, these motors perfom differently because they are different sizes....
A piaggio motor on a zip has a 10in on wheels, and the distance from the crank to the rear wheel is shorter...
when compared to a 491's 13in wheels and longer distance from crank to wheel then the piaggio motor...
So it is hard to compare them...
Marky

how do these measurements change performance...i know wheel size would change it in acceleration but how does the size from the crank to gearwheal make a difference?

my minarelli engine run nicely but would it be comparable to a zip with the same setup...i have polini everything... if not, then how much difference???

thanks

powerloss

Aerox Wijchen said:
i guess if you're drivetrain is longer, you wil have more powerloss

YES!!!!!! The smaller wheel creates more power as well....so that is a double whammy on a mineralli motor...
Marky

markybda said:
YES!!!!!! The smaller wheel creates more power as well....so that is a double whammy on a mineralli motor...
Marky
if thats true, then how will one of the lil jogs with the 10" wheels work. those bikes should create the same power right. i only saying cuzz i have one of the older jogs with the small wheels because where i live we do not get good scooters like jogRR, aerox, or zips.

Ok....

rydah said:
if thats true, then how will one of the lil jogs with the 10" wheels work. those bikes should create the same power right. i only saying cuzz i have one of the older jogs with the small wheels because where i live we do not get good scooters like jogRR, aerox, or zips.

that is a good idea...
You still have to see if the distance is the same from the crank to the rear clutch...but the zip is probally smaller...
Marky

markybda said:
that is a good idea...
You still have to see if the distance is the same from the crank to the rear clutch...but the zip is probally smaller...
Marky
i just measured my crank to my clutch. fromt the center of my crank to the center of my cluch is 11 inches and from the center of the crank to the rear of the clutch is 13 inches. does anybody know the distances of the zips.

After driving both minarelli and piaggio scooters for a few years, these are my observations:

Minarelli:
+Easy access to exhaust bolts.
-10mm piston pen and fiddly small piston clips.
-crappy standard variator (much smaller than Piaggio, less range.)
-carb is hard to reach, changing the carb or needle often requires you to disassemble the entire rear end.
-electric start too weak for 70cc kits.
-nonstandard flywheel and new DC ignition in 2003> yamaha models.

I had more fun working on the Piaggio, and it also produced more power from the same parts.

Back