piaggio typhoon question

rydah

i just bought a brandnew piaggio typhoon and i want to know how fast should the top speed be of this bike without restictions. right now the bike goes 40mph top speed, i weigh 160lbs. should the bike be faster, also what are the restrictions on this bike and where are they.

Advertisement - register to remove this

The restrictions are normally in the exhaust pipe, air filter and also it is possible that it has a little restriction plate under you intake. (In between the block and the carburator.)

Hope it helps, it could reach speeds up to 55 MPH :)

The restrictions are normally in the exhaust pipe, air filter and also it is possible that it has a little restriction plate under you intake. (In between the block and the carburator.)

Hope it helps, it could reach speeds up to 55 MPH :)

i checked the exhaust pipe for a restriction and nothing, i also checked to see if the front pulley had a restrictor washer in there and nothing. right now the bike has 25miles on it and its still only going 40mph top speed. i will have to check to see if there is a plate under the intake. if anybody knows where any other restrictions let me know, thanks.

Rydah,
Do you have a shop tach you can hook up to it and see what rpm you are topping out at? I'm suspecting you are topping out around 8,000 rpm at that speed, which might indicate a rpm-limiter in the CDI.
Then again, if the speedo is accurate (lol), I'd only expect between 40-45 mph anyway.

scootertrog

Last edited:
Rydah,
Do you have a shop tach you can hook up to it and see what rpm you are topping out at? I'm suspecting you are topping out around 8,000 rpm at that speed, which might indicate a rpm-limiter in the CDI.
Then again, if the speedo is accurate (lol), I'd only expect between 40-45 mph anyway.

scootertrog

thats a good idea, i will put a tach on and see what RPM's i am getting. i just dont know how come the euro guys are getting 50 to 55mph out of stock bikes, and my bike is topping out at 40mph. i put a turbo kit pipe on to see about getting more top speed and it was even worst. the bike topped out at 33mph going downhill and on flat ground would only get 20 to 25mph.

Aloha, Rydah. If it is getting up to 40 quickly then I would guess it is somewhere in the transmission, or CDI (restricting and/or overrevving). If it gets to 40 slowly then somewhere in the intake or exhaust . (restricting power)

frank

there are several restrictors on a typhoon , the normal restrictors here in teh Netherlands are :

*variator ring
*exhaust , in the second part is a cone shaped restrictor ,ander de first part has a bend pipe welded on it wich can be taken off en the hole welded shut.

and also in older types there where small metals sheets between the membrane and manifold with a hole of 8mm in it.

lol, those turbo kit pipes are usually just a joke. Worse than some of the leo vince pipes... :D

lol, yeah i know that now. i just wanted something so i can disconnect the kat system because i thought that was holding it back. now i find out that the turbo kit pipe is even worst. i just need the bike to go 50 at least so i can have something to cruise on while i finish off my projects.

lol, yeah i know that now. i just wanted something so i can disconnect the kat system because i thought that was holding it back. now i find out that the turbo kit pipe is even worst. i just need the bike to go 50 at least so i can have something to cruise on while i finish off my projects.

You told me to stay away from the Derbi because of how slow it was and you bought the same motor. LOL. Sorry had to laugh at you on this one. Let me know what you can get out of it and I might get the Derbi anyway.

In the short term if you hammer the little tube (fold it over) where it comes off of the pipe it should be better. It breaks up the power pulses in the pipe which kill the pumping. Also check the head to see if you can machine that up easily and deck it for more compression. Without spending any cash that might be your biggest boost.

You told me to stay away from the Derbi because of how slow it was and you bought the same motor. LOL. Sorry had to laugh at you on this one. Let me know what you can get out of it and I might get the Derbi anyway.

In the short term if you hammer the little tube (fold it over) where it comes off of the pipe it should be better. It breaks up the power pulses in the pipe which kill the pumping. Also check the head to see if you can machine that up easily and deck it for more compression. Without spending any cash that might be your biggest boost.

lol, i dont have a derbi, i have a piaggio. i told you to say away from a derbi manhatten. only in the last couple of years does the derbi have a piaggio engine. the older derbis with derbi engines suck, everybody knows that. there is nothing wrong with piaggio engines, they can make plenny power.

lol, i dont have a derbi, i have a piaggio. i told you to say away from a derbi manhatten. only in the last couple of years does the derbi have a piaggio engine. the older derbis with derbi engines suck, everybody knows that. there is nothing wrong with piaggio engines, they can make plenny power.

So I guess we now have to say "out here in Hawaii we ride the fastest scooters in the world - well with the exception of Rydah.... what a turd on his typhoon..."

So I guess we now have to say "out here in Hawaii we ride the fastest scooters in the world - well with the exception of Rydah.... what a turd on his typhoon..."

lol, a turd would be faster then my typhoon for the moment. by the summer time my typhoon will be close to if not a 100mph scooter. also my honda stroker is still a handfull to ride, 35mph roll on power wheelies no problem, lol.

Back