Performance ignitions

I ordered for horizontal Minarelli with Yamaha flywheel for prior to Euro pollution controls. Should work. Actually, the only difference in any of these would be the position of the stator plate. HMin cranks have the key in one location. My Zuma has the same red/black, white/red to the ignition, orange and black to the coil, and white/black kill wire as any other Minarelli CDI.

The SR50 I had used the Ducati ignition, not the yamaha. So I don't think they'll work together. The ducati ignition is like a vespa with the coil and CDI in one unit. The Ducati style has the sensor (trigger, pick-up) inside the flywheel where the yamaha is outside the flywheel.

pinkymongueo:

My guess is that the key position on the crankshaft/flywheel is your problem.

I had a similar problem trying to fit a variable CDI for Aerox into a CPI engine.

Do not use the key, set your TDC by "hand" and try again.

I agree with you. The timing is a mile off. I'm gonna mark the stock timing with a light, then install the MVT and compare. Then I can drill and remount the MVT stator plate. Some day I hope to buy a part that just bolts on and works right. Hasn't happened yet.

About the polini ignitions again, let's clear some mistakes here...
All the new polini ignitions are inner rotor, only the piaggio one is outer rotor, i have mounted one on an high end tuned 70cc minarelli horizontal engine this weekend, it's very easy to instal,good instructions guide and the sound of the engine it's like an inner rotor, the engine it's revving very fast, and it has 80watts for lights,i recomend this ignition to everyone who want the best performance with lights... well, the price is a little bit high, but worth it.
cheers

Can you post a couple photos so we can see what you are talking about.

EatMyDust said:
All the new polini ignitions are inner rotor, only the piaggio one is outer rotor, i have mounted one on an high end tuned 70cc minarelli horizontal engine this weekend, it's very easy to instal,good instructions guide and the sound of the engine it's like an inner rotor, the engine it's revving very fast, and it has 80watts for lights,i recomend this ignition to everyone who want the best performance with lights... well, the price is a little bit high, but worth it.
cheers

you can see the photo @ scooter-attack shop, that's the model for minarelli engines, the one that mexicano show you is for piaggio engine.
I will post some photos later, if someone can give me an adress to a site to host images,i'll apreciate that.;)
cheers

EatMyDust said:
cheers

Which part number do I choose for Yamaha Aerox?

Thanks,

so is it true that the piaggio one is an outer rotor and minarrelli is inner type?
if so why would polini do this?
also can the minarelli ignitions be modified to fit piaggio?

Both the .0531 and .0530 are for HMin. The 31 is for Aerox-type, the 30 for Jog-type. Don't be too sure they'll interchange. I got the MVT Aerox-type and it wouldn't run on my Jog-type scooter. The Polini might be different, but it's an expensive gamble.

Mexicano said:
pinkymongueo:

My guess is that the key position on the crankshaft/flywheel is your problem.

I had a similar problem trying to fit a variable CDI for Aerox into a CPI engine.

Do not use the key, set your TDC by "hand" and try again.

DO use the key. And turn the stator plate. The stator plate is static, the rotor isn't. Unless you bolt it on VERY TIGHTLY, I doubt it will stay in place with the kind of RPM's scooters do.

Folkert@MinaRally said:
DO use the key. And turn the stator plate. The stator plate is static, the rotor isn't. Unless you bolt it on VERY TIGHTLY, I doubt it will stay in place with the kind of RPM's scooters do.

The HPI doesn't use the key at crankshaft....the cone shape and a good tight nut will do the job very good!

Any key should not be holding anything in place. It's just for alignment. If you can hold the flywheel and crank in the right position the key is irrelevant. No little peice of metal can hold the force of a loose flywheel.

Back