Opinions wanted: the BEST crank bearings for a full blown race scoot

FUracing8

FUracing8
Hey guys. I just wanted to get some of your opinions on what type of bearings are the best for a full race set-up. Of course C-4 type, but really, which are the best? Alot of people say SKF and some people say KoYo or Malossi. What do you guys think?

Advertisement - register to remove this

Personally the best bearings are the MOST EXPENSIVE ones, Full Ceramic Bearings are still the best, but with skf c4 or koyo's I dont think we could put too much load on it to fail instantly, especially in circuit racing where its not always max rpm.

Do malossi make thier own bearings? or they just got it from a manufacturer and pack it with thier own?

FUracing8 said:
Hey guys. I just wanted to get some of your opinions on what type of bearings are the best for a full race set-up. Of course C-4 type, but really, which are the best? Alot of people say SKF and some people say KoYo or Malossi. What do you guys think?

Malossi is 100% SKF, even the thin outer ring type custom size!
Personally I don't like SKF cause once I had a little problem with it (faulty basket), I use NTN crank bearings. But the SKF TN9 is a good one if you prefer SKF.

Sure the ceramic are the best, but they have a very limited range of size, especially 6204 (Minarelli), I don't konwif they are avaible for Piaggio.

Polini EVO bearings are the BEST. The SKF C4 do the job, but if you really want to be shure, buy the EVOs. The price of the EVOs are high but some say that they are unbreakable.

HQ - SKF C4 Bearing:

15gyslw.jpg

Polini Evolution Bearing:

15gyuev.jpg

xzburnoutzx said:
Polini EVO bearings are the BEST. The SKF C4 do the job, but if you really want to be shure, buy the EVOs. The price of the EVOs are high but some say that they are unbreakable.

HQ - SKF C4 Bearing:

http://i5.tinypic.com/15gyslw.jpg

Polini Evolution Bearing:

http://i4.tinypic.com/15gyuev.jpg

Nothing special! Polini is just use another brand bearing with their own name, that's why they aren't cheap, you can buy the same quality bearings at a specific shop.

One more thing, SKF has a plastic type basket or a steel type basket, the SKF steel type basket is pressed so it isn't as reliable as the Koyo or NTN cause their steel baskets are riveted, thats why I suggested NTN, they never fall apart. The SKF TN9 has a special paltic basket (PTFE), but it's stil less reliable as a riveted steel basket. Sure the plastic basket has less noise and less friction ->more power.

xzburnoutzx said:

Bull.

Polini = Malossi = MetraKit= Stage6 = all SKF !!!!

Mounted correctly SKF C3 bearings are very, very reliable.
All those fancy bearings are, I think, overdone and only too expensive.

Browni said:
Malossi is 100% SKF, even the thin outer ring type custom size!
Personally I don't like SKF cause once I had a little problem with it (faulty basket), I use NTN crank bearings. But the SKF TN9 is a good one if you prefer SKF.

Sure the ceramic are the best, but they have a very limited range of size, especially 6204 (Minarelli), I don't konwif they are avaible for Piaggio.
Malossi take the bearings and put them on the lathe and they remove 1.2mm from the outer cage so as to create a little gap in between the crank and the bearings, hence better oil flow to the bearings.

Eoin70 said:
Malossi take the bearings and put them on the lathe and they remove 1.2mm from the outer cage so as to create a little gap in between the crank and the bearings, hence better oil flow to the bearings.

Nobody asked that! :p What do you want to say with this? :)

oh i just thought that you said malossi just put their own packaging on SKF bearings and nothing else,but they do re-work them
Mikko R asked it :)

but me too i use c3's :D

Last edited:
Back