New here - need advice

sta4

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a MotoMojo Uptown 50cc scooter that was a dealer model and had an aftermarket exhaust already installed. I was told I will lose some acceleration with the exhaust, but it improved the top end. I have been able to get it up to almost 50 mph on flat ground, but the acceleration is absolutely pathetic. When going up hill I struggle to get over 20 mph. On flat ground I slowly accelerate until about 30 mph where it finally takes off and the exhaust seems to be helping.

My question is what can I do to improve the acceleration? Any quick or easy mods that will help?

Here is a picture of the exhaust:

mime-attachment.jpg

Thanks.

Advertisement - register to remove this

Another quick question, the actual muffler look like it is easy to remove (just some bolts). "Hypothetically" how would the scooter run and sound if the muffler was removed? Is this dangerous to do for the engine, and would it be obnoxious (noise)? Anyone ever done this before? I am new to the whole scooter scene so i am just trying to learn.

Thanks again.

An expansion chamber exhaust should increase the performance, even off the line... not decrease it. Lighter roller weights and different clutch and contra springs will probably get you where you want to be. You could take 3 of the stock rollers out of the variator (balancing it so that there is a blank spot between each roller). See how this works out for you. It'll probably rev too high, but you'll notice a performance difference. Order some weights and give it a shot.

What exhaust is it? Looks like a Tecnigas, except the bracket is different and the endpipe is not curved enough... Is it a Chinese copy?

~Josh

Another quick question, the actual muffler look like it is easy to remove (just some bolts). "Hypothetically" how would the scooter run and sound if the muffler was removed? Is this dangerous to do for the engine, and would it be obnoxious (noise)? Anyone ever done this before? I am new to the whole scooter scene so i am just trying to learn.

Thanks again.

Running your scooter without the exhaust is not a good idea. Yes, it will be quite loud. It can also damage your engine if you ride on gravel or dirt roads, I wouldn't recommend it.

~Josh

I don't know about the exhaust, I bought it like that (I think it's probably Chinese copy). I will try out the roller suggestion and let you know. Any harm that could be caused by doing this though?

I was just wondering about the straight pipe, I don't really plan on doing it.

Thanks

An expansion chamber exhaust should increase the performance, even off the line... not decrease it. Lighter roller weights and different clutch and contra springs will probably get you where you want to be. You could take 3 of the stock rollers out of the variator (balancing it so that there is a blank spot between each roller). See how this works out for you. It'll probably rev too high, but you'll notice a performance difference. Order some weights and give it a shot.

What exhaust is it? Looks like a Tecnigas, except the bracket is different and the endpipe is not curved enough... Is it a Chinese copy?

~Josh
I read online how to remove and replace roller weights, but if I remove 3 then will revving too high possibly hurt the engine? I wanna try it but I don't want to mess something up and have to spend money on repairs.

Last edited:
Back