New Aprilia SR carb. Need some advice.

Dullah

Hello

As some of you might know I just bought a brand new Aprilia SR 2008 carb model with the piaggio lc engine. The running in -period is almost done and it's time to get this beast what it wants... a derestriction.

So could you guys give a hint where to go with this? The best way is to buy a new exhaust (so which brand. leo vince, yasuni or laser x) And of course I need to remove the washer from the variator but what other parts should I buy with it? New rollers and bigger main jet. (I know these depend on the bike but where should I start with the new pipe?)

And what other stuff should I need? A new spring for the clutch? (which one?) and perhaps a new belt?

Any advice would be great appreciated! I know you guys know what you're doing so help a newbie :) I have played with bikes for many years but never seen a scooter engine.

Advertisement - register to remove this

Hi Dullah,

First things first;

Derestricting your scooter; Remove the washer from the vario, remove the plate that's between your manifold and membrane.

And I thought there's a restrictor in your airfilter box.

For the exhaust, it's best to replace it like you said, If you don't want the noise, but the unrestricted preformance, buy something like a Site Plus. A look a like of the stock exhaust, but only without the restrictors.

For alittle more preformance, you could buy a Yasuni R. Those work quite good on those setups. You will have to go higher on your MJ without all the restrictors. New belts and springs you don't need. Maybe some lighter rollers with the new exhaust. Other than that you are pretty much good.

Keep us updated and post some pix and vids!

Hi Dullah,

First things first;

Derestricting your scooter; Remove the washer from the vario, remove the plate that's between your manifold and membrane.

And I thought there's a restrictor in your airfilter box.

For the exhaust, it's best to replace it like you said, If you don't want the noise, but the unrestricted preformance, buy something like a Site Plus. A look a like of the stock exhaust, but only without the restrictors.

For alittle more preformance, you could buy a Yasuni R. Those work quite good on those setups. You will have to go higher on your MJ without all the restrictors. New belts and springs you don't need. Maybe some lighter rollers with the new exhaust. Other than that you are pretty much good.

Keep us updated and post some pix and vids!

Thanks Big B for your help and interest in my scooter. I really appreciate it.

So did I get this right... Theres a ring in the vario. That's clear. Also the exhaust restriction is obvious but do you mean that there is a restriction between the carburetor manifold and the reed valve system? (don't realy know the exact word in english for that).

What about that airbox restriction? Can anyone confirm this? Or is this restriciton same kind as in Factory SR so no real power gain when removing this?

So I dont need knew belt and springs, right? Of course I would need a bigger main jet but with Yasuni how much bigger approximately? I think about 15 is about right wit that derestricted pipe and air filter restriciton removal?

And the rolle weights... that's the main issue. I'm really out of my head with this. I've no idea where I should go and how light rollers to order.

So the Yasuni R is the best option for fully derestricted SR? I thought that was for the sport 70cc and a Leo Vince ZX would be better for standard cyl?

Anyway if some has experiment derestricting Aprilia SR piaggio powered scoot first handed I would appreciate any help and pictures. Please help a fellow!

I'm trying to use the search function but I dont understand a word about dutch so it's getting kinda tricky :)

I thinks it's beeing said in here but I have no idea what does this mean...

Begrenzers zijn:

-Varioring
-Plaatje bij membraam
-Plaatje in de carb
-Luchtfilterbegrenzing; 2 zelfs...
-Resonantiebuisjes aan je uitlaat.

Could some one translate this for me, please? Found this topic http://forum.scooterforum.net/forum/f50/aprilia-sr-50-r-piaggio-blok-144747/ I think there is some other useful information on that too...

So any useful information is appreciated! Hit me with some links guys!

Big B! I'm counting on you! You're my ace so sort this out and help a fellow piaggio guy :D

Thanks Big B for your help and interest in my scooter. I really appreciate it.

So did I get this right... Theres a ring in the vario. That's clear. Also the exhaust restriction is obvious but do you mean that there is a restriction between the carburetor manifold and the reed valve system? (don't realy know the exact word in english for that).

You are right about the restrictor between the carb manifold and the reedvalve system. Here's a picture;

2rd9mr7.jpg

The gold round plate is at the air intake at your carb. The steel square plate on the right is between your carb manifold and membrane (reed valve system).

Remove those 2 and upjet your MJ with 5 sizes.

What about that airbox restriction? Can anyone confirm this? Or is this restriciton same kind as in Factory SR so no real power gain when removing this?

You can take the airfilter box appart and look if it's there. Removing the restrictor proably does alittle to the gasreaction and gas pickup.

So I dont need knew belt and springs, right? Of course I would need a bigger main jet but with Yasuni how much bigger approximately? I think about 15 is about right wit that derestricted pipe and air filter restriciton removal?

If you are going to use the Yasuni exhaust, you will need a new contraclutch spring and maybe stiffer clutchsprings, so your clutch grabs later.
A red contraspring would be perfect for your setup.

And the rolle weights... that's the main issue. I'm really out of my head with this. I've no idea where I should go and how light rollers to order.

Since you want to buy a Yasuni R, which works perfect on that derestricted setup. Since the Yasuni R works on higher RPM's as your must adjust your CVT system to operate on higher RPM. So you need to mount lighter rollers. Order weights between 5 gr and 6 gr. so you can play around.

So the Yasuni R is the best option for fully derestricted SR? I thought that was for the sport 70cc and a Leo Vince ZX would be better for standard cyl?

I can garuntee you that the Yasuni will outpreform the ZX + it's handy if you upgrade to a 70cc sports kit :)

Anyway if some has experiment derestricting Aprilia SR piaggio powered scoot first handed I would appreciate any help and pictures. Please help a fellow!

I'm trying to use the search function but I dont understand a word about dutch so it's getting kinda tricky :)

I thinks it's beeing said in here but I have no idea what does this mean...

Begrenzers zijn:

-Varioring
-Plaatje bij membraam
-Plaatje in de carb
-Luchtfilterbegrenzing; 2 zelfs...
-Resonantiebuisjes aan je uitlaat.

Could some one translate this for me, please? Found this topic http://forum.scooterforum.net/forum/f50/aprilia-sr-50-r-piaggio-blok-144747/ I think there is some other useful information on that too...

So any useful information is appreciated! Hit me with some links guys!

Big B! I'm counting on you! You're my ace so sort this out and help a fellow piaggio guy :D

It means that there are restrictors at;

Vario - the ring
Plate the membrane
Plate at carb
Airfilter restricter - 2 restrictors
Dead end at exhaust

Good luck, let us know the result!

Back