malaguti f15 firefox... at my wits end!

juggins

hi all,I am new to this forum & a newbie to scooters.

I recently bought a standard x-reg malaguti f15 firefox. All was running fine (except twice about a month apart it lost power then came back after I gave it a rev then let it idle a mo whilst coasting down the road) until recently...

Changed the rollers from 5.5g to 3.5g, removed the spacer between the vario halves and it was zipping along! The standard exhaust then snapped so I put a friends aerox pipe on with TT silencer.

All was fine until last monday I was riding along at about 40mph when the bike started to bog and would drive at max 7 mph. I pushed it home then took it to my local garage where they diagnosed a dirty carb, cleaned it and I left.

The bike still lacked any grunt with a max speed of 41 downhill. Took the bike back where the garage again adjusted the carb. It seemed better but still wasn't right.

The garage then diagnosed worn rings with a compression reading of 76 saying it should be 100 - 110.

I was desperate to sort this out so ended up forking out for a 70cc kit after advice that the original head & cylinder would be knackered & the 70 kit would work with a little tweak of the carb. no up jetting required.

Put the 70 kit on it, fired it up & no matter what I do with the carb the most I can get is a sluggish acceleration on a slight downhill gradient up to a max of 43mph. uphill its doing 17 - 22mph.

Have been advised I should put a 21mm carb, jet & k&n filter on. However, have also been told it should be running fine with the original carb.

With no load the bike revs straight up to 10000rpm but with any load it struggles.

Have been told today that I should now replace the CDI unit then if still the same the magneto flywheel. I just don't know what to do with this anymore. Do I spend 200 on the CDI & magneto then another 130 on carb, jet & filter?

Thanks for any help with this.

Last edited:
Advertisement - register to remove this

dude, separate your sentences into a paragraph, it's very hard to read your post.

have you checked the transmission? sounds like the scoot shop is dicking around with you, a real pro would have solved your problem immediately.

Update

The transmission has been checked and all is ok. The belt isn't slipping, nor the clutch and the variator is operating correctly.

Anyway, I got the new CDI unit today. Put it on and felt a slight increase in grunt. The bike is still sluggish compared to how it was originally and especially uphill increasing to about 25mph but on a straight it hits 52mph no probs.8P

Am still using the same jet, have a 100 jet coming tomorrow so will try to set it up using that and see what happens.+ralf+

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated. :?

Last edited:
i mean did they recalibrate the rollers to the new engine setup? sounds like the rollers are still too heavy. i wish i could let you ride my scooter, it's got a 70cc Polini Corsa kit (tuned), Corsa crank, Leo Vince TT pipe, MHR 2005 vario, Malossi torque driver & kevlar belt, Malossi springs, Polini cf reeds, Polini 15/42 gears & it goes to 110kmh with great acceleration, all that with the stock carb & ignition.

i mean did they recalibrate the rollers to the new engine setup? sounds like the rollers are still too heavy. i wish i could let you ride my scooter, it's got a 70cc Polini Corsa kit (tuned), Corsa crank, Leo Vince TT pipe, MHR 2005 vario, Malossi torque driver & kevlar belt, Malossi springs, Polini cf reeds, Polini 15/42 gears & it goes to 110kmh with great acceleration, all that with the stock carb & ignition.
The original rollers were 5.5g. The 3.5g rollers were fine under the current setup with the 50cc head and it zips in '2nd gear' so I think the rollers are fine.

I just don't really have anything to compare against.

Back