Keeway 50cc Venus Idle problems

Noodoggy

I just recently purchased a keeway venus 50cc scooter. I am trying to diagnose what the problem with it is. It starts up fine but only if I pull the throttle all the way open. On a cold engine it revs and i get some response from the throttle if i lessen the gas a little, but after running awhile, if i ease up on the throttle, it will idle and the only way to get a response is to bounce up and down on the scooter. It then seems to get gas and run like it should. Also the only way to keep it running without stalling on idle is to keep the throttle wide open and apply the brakes at stops with the throttle still wide open (which i am sure is not very good for the scooter) B4 i bought the scooter, the previous owner told me it had been sitting around for several months unstarted. From what I have been able to gather about the problem, it could be a dirty carburetor from sludge leftover form the gas evaporating. My guess is the needle is sticking and that's why when I bounce it will go. ANy body have any opionions on what it could be and also how to fix it without having to take it to a repair shop? Any help would be appreciated! If you have any further questions i'll be glad to give any more information.
Thanks!

P.S. I dont believe that there is an idle adjustment on the bike and i do know it has an automatic choke on it.

Advertisement - register to remove this

Not sure which engine your scooter has... it's either the QMB139 4-stroke or a Minarelli knock-off 2-stroke. Either way, there is an idle adjustment. It sounds like you need to clean the carburetor though before anything else. No sense adjusting a carb if it's got trash in it anyway. :) Removing the carburetor isn't too tough, just loosen the clamps for the airbox and the manifold and slip it out. You'll also want to remove the fuel lines, cable, and auto choke wires. Then remove the bowl, clean it out very well, remove the jets and clean them with carburetor cleaner etc.

If you can tell me which engine your scooter has, I can help better. :)

~Josh

it is a 2 stroke. As for taking off the carburetor to clean it, I am somewhat mechanical but I worry about having to make adjustments or fine tuning with the carburetor. Also I dont have a garage (apt complex) so I wouldn't be able to leave my bike disassembled. Would I be able to remove and clean with basic tools and would i need to replace seals and such? Also I have no idea where I could get these parts since i am in sort of a rural area. If it's something that would just take several hours to do, I'd be up for it. What would I need to clean it? Any help would be great!

I think im in the same boat as you. My wife just bought a scooter and ive been trying to get it to run proper. The owner let it sit for 2 years but said it ran awesome at that point in time. i got a small ride of it till it stalled out. Now that i have it home ive been putting in fresh fuel and carb cleaner in the fuel and tring to push the crap out. It seems half decent but still does what yours is with stalling at idle unless you hold the break with RPMs up.
The bike is a 2000 honda dio

It seems that its flooding after trying to get the revs up. It stars fading off so i throttle it and it revs high then dies. Then it wont start for a couple min just as if it did flood. i want to pull the carb off but im worried id mess it up and make the wife mad

It seems that its flooding after trying to get the revs up. It stars fading off so i throttle it and it revs high then dies. Then it wont start for a couple min just as if it did flood. i want to pull the carb off but im worried id mess it up and make the wife mad

Either way it's not running properly so what does it matter if you mess it up more..lol. I'm not a mechanic at all but I basically just rebuilt my scooter in 2 days. Pulling the carb out and cleaning it took under an hour. If I can do it you sure can. Trust me :)

Back